Reviews for The Birds Will Cry
kazywaz chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
I know I'm late in coming to this story. This was a deeply moving story depicting the utter anguish and sorrow that Gabrielle feels. I was near tears. I don't generally like post FIN stories because I hated FIN - but when a writer can really wrap their words around the devastation one feels after losing the love of your life, then I have to put it up there at the top. My only quibble was the jarring introduction of Ares and the way he was depicted in mourning Xena's death. I didn't expect that and it changed the tone of the story. He somehow doesn't belong here. This is about Gabrielle's pain and loss, although I did like the effect Xena's death had on him, I feel you made him far too human than he deserves. It had a dramatic feel and I think his appearance allowed the reader to feel the pain of *everyone* who was affected by Xena's death but I think your attention to him took away from where the real pain was; Gabrielle's. While I liked how he was affected by Xena's death, I also thought it was inconsistent with his personality and his disposition. He should have been treated in the same low key as Aphrodite, a background figure, instead his pain becomes equal to Gabrielle's which I thought made him too prominent. Considering the hell he put Xena through for the past 6 years, I thought he was treated in this story as way too sympathetically.

He was able to handle Xena's death when he buried her and Gabrielle in ice and moved on to other Godly things, like her daughter Livia, so it doesn't seem consistent that he would be more devastated now than before.

Other than inserting Ares into this story, making him more prominent to the events that took place in FIN, this was brilliantly written.i
Zandrel chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
This was very emotional, very raw and very well written again. You are such a fabulous writer, I really hope I can be as good as you one day.
LadyKate1 chapter 1 . 12/1/2007
Can't believe I haven't reviewed this before! Beautiful and very moving. Definitely one of the best post-FIN Gabrielle stories out there.
AufdemOper chapter 1 . 12/8/2006
*Tear* yay...!
Vix075 chapter 1 . 8/31/2006
Nicely characterised, deeply thought provoking, gripping narative and a good flowing read. I enjoyed the story, but I think this has the potential for much more. You've created the situation, now you need the climax and the resolution. Also, take a little more time with your word structure and grammar. It's not nearly as bad as some I've seen, but it would appear that I am a perfectionist when it comes to such things.

On the whole, good work. I hope you continue it.
Quadrantje chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
Oh by the gods, how beautiful. This practically got me crying and believe me, that is a feat. Very beautiful, very sweet, very sad. The characters were great, the setting at Potedia was very well chosen and the emotions within it, they were simply beautiful. I love it. I never would have made Gabrielle the goddess of Love, especially not in this way, but in combination with the rest of the story it does seem to fit, though a small part of me still protests it. It's beautiful, absolutely.

ME
blackeyes bluetears chapter 1 . 7/26/2004
WoW! Wonderful beautiful story! I hope to read more of your stuff!
Madbrilliant chapter 1 . 7/26/2004
Hey Tango! It's me Jessica(FetishXX) from XOC. I thought this story looked familiar ;) Nice job on it! I liked how Aphrodite decides to become mortal, and now Gabrielle has to be Goddess of Love. Intersting!
Tali chapter 1 . 7/23/2004
That was beautiful Tango!
mcgirl chapter 1 . 7/22/2004
This is good, please continue
boysenberrykid chapter 1 . 7/22/2004
I loved it! Nice twist at the end. And I thought Ares was very well written. Kudos to you!
Tango1 chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
Thanks - just fixed the typo!
kirise chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
Isn't it a good thing that I have you on Author Alert? I liked your continuation of the ending. It was an interesting take on what might happen, and you described what possibly could have happened to Ares and Aphrodite, something that caused me much concern when I originally saw the ending of the series.

I think this was the first way I saw Aphrodite give up her immortality to make Gabrielle the new goddess of love, but I could be mistaken about that. No matter, I think it's a touching detail.

The only complaint I have is that in the first paragraph you put "morning" instead of "mourning", which caused me some confusion for a moment.

Anyways, thank you, as always, for your contribution!