Reviews for On Being The Girl
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
Girl power. Or, just Hermione being herself, really.
Penghost chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
Just another day anybody else would have exploded I'm sure!

Your good at that!
Shadow Lighthawk chapter 1 . 9/20/2012
Your feminist outrage makes me happy. This is one of the things that irks me about a large percentage of fic authors and, for that matter, fandom in general. Genfic is a perfectly valid and excellent genre! The main characters don't always have to fall in love with each other in whatever configuration! The obsession with shipping makes me crazy sometimes - even moreso because I fall victim to it at times. (My hatred for Ginny Weasley - as a character and as a love interest for Harry - is deep and sincere. I make no apologies.)

What really makes this for me is that this strikes me as something Hermione would actually feel. She's that sort of girl - very rational and invested in the critical reasoning process, plus deeply impatient with stereotypes and restrictive gender roles. Hermione is the girl who gets angry and rants when Teen Witch Weekly prints a "how to snag a boyfriend" article that says boys find smart girls unattractive. The bit about her post-Hogwarts career was a great addition - it just screams Hermione (in an academic, well-researched, grammatically-correct sort of way).

I also tend to agree with the message. A girl shouldn't *need* a boy to make her life complete or give her meaning. I've known girls like this. The breakup drama is ugly and the depression between boyfriends is almost worse.

I like the humor, too, which is intelligent and somewhat sly.

I think my biggest problem with this is that I wish it were longer, or perhaps a subplot in a chaptered novella. I think feminist-but-not-militant Hermione would make a great character, capable of standing out even in a story with a super! or independent!Harry without having to be his Tender, Supportive Love Interest. This sort of Hermione would make a great foil for other, more boy-focused girls, or even for the Wizarding World's attitude towards relationships and women in general.

If you were to redo this piece and ask me what to change, I would give the "anyone" that Hermione is annoyed with a face - a couple of faces, really, for greater range of opinions and ideas for Hermione to interact with. This little ficlet is a great piece of meta and a lovely character sketch of Hermione, but I think it could be a fuller story with a multi-faceted characterization if she had a few people to debate with. i know I just finished campaigning for genfic, but I like romance just fine, and I like world-building best of all. If you set up a fic about the trio's relationships with each other, their relationships with outsiders and the misunderstandings outsiders have about the trio's relationship, you could put Hermione in a position of mediating for the readers between the dating and relationship mores of the Muggle World and the Wizarding World while dealing with outside assumptions about and the inner dynamics of her relationship with Harry and Ron. We could learn more about the Wizarding World's attitude towards relationships and gender roles as Hermione does and a longer fic would provide space to create Hermione's nuanced understanding of her feminist stance.

I also admit to being a glutton for long, world-buildy stories.

At any rate, this is a great little piece that does what it's supposed to, and it's nice for my occasional feminist outrage to find a voice. Nice job!
knightlygirl chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
I like this, because it illustrates exactly how I feel about Ron/Hermione, and Harry/Ginny for that matter. Personally I think that ewe should leave it at the fact that Rowling sucks at romance.
Little Kunai chapter 1 . 1/28/2011
you captured hermione's independent spirit and speech mannerisms very well.
The Cello Mistress chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
Haha, I loved it. This is Exactly how I think she would react to all this. Wonderful little snippet here, maybe you should make it into a mini series? One during DH, one after, and one with her married. It would make it more interesting if she wasn't married to either Ron or Harry
Shubhs chapter 1 . 9/22/2010
Damn straight! I agree! The previous one that I favourite-d? And yes, I know its not very naice of me to review two very-separate stories in one but I exercise the right to be lazy. :P Anyway. Last one left me chilled to the BONE. It was simply excellent. Deep, meaningful and short. You didn't try and draw it out when it wouldn't. It was just Perfect. Same one for this. But you could have extended this one. Just a bit more. Put in a little bit more in the ending? Oh well. Work it out. If you don't like it, then it isn't good, if you do, its good. Its as simple as that. You're the final critique. )
sydneygirl90 chapter 1 . 5/13/2010
Oh, how I love this story. It's become so common to have Hermione behave in some sensual or sexual way towards Harry and/or Ron, when their friendship is the strongest relationship in the whole series. It's so cliche to use Hermione as a useless, love-struck puppy-like character, and I'm just EXTREMELY happy to see you keeping her in character. Although Harry/Hermione is the couple that makes my heart flutter (lol, yes, I really just wrote that), I think that her relationship with Harry and Ron will always be strong. Thank you so much for sharing this piece! :)
Sir Edward chapter 1 . 10/20/2007
Once again, I have no complaints! _

Very well writen and a very good plot!

Keep up the good work!

*~Sir Edward~*
Jesse McGee chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
The viewpoint is great. I like the way it is written, as if it comes from her mouth only. The way I'd like to write.

"And yes, at some point it would probably be nice to find someone, settle down, and raise some sort of family, but the way some people go on about it you'd think she had a gaping hole in the middle of her life, just aching and begging one of her two best friends to come along and fill it."

Too true. If everyone acted like characters in fanfiction then you and I would probably surrounded by hundreds of little babies. I mean, what happened to contraception?
Goldenkizamu chapter 1 . 4/4/2007
*heart* tell it like it is. Hermione tends to get the short end in fan-fics, doesn't she? There is more to life than boys! I also enjoyed your other stories, keep up the good work.
q.thews chapter 1 . 6/19/2006
Everyone would be scared of this (great) Hermione :-)

And (that said by a Hp/Hg shippr) this story give the reason for

BZ/HG /HG and even DM/HG.

For the Next Geberation part... have any of you made some math of

how many Red Haired ones would be at Hogwarts between 2010/2030 ?

I really think that one of the "wrongest" things in HP is the

demographics of the wizarding world :-)

Bye
Summercloud chapter 1 . 3/20/2006
Who! Go Hermione!

I like. _
Magical Poof chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
Ooh, I liked this. I've always been a H/HR shipper myself, but this is really nice. I like the un-clichedness of it all. It's very lovely and I like the fact that Hermione would consider it, if she really wanted to.
Arkeus chapter 1 . 10/29/2005
yay, a hermione fic!

happy happy :-)

good btw, though i am an inner (and outer) h/hr...