Reviews for Promise Ring
helaluvE chapter 1 . 12/6/2007
so fantastically jess that i can't help but grin. excellent job :)
TheVelvetDusk chapter 1 . 9/6/2007
Aw. That was wonderful.

You really captured Rory's quirkiness!

Loved it!
CSIMel chapter 1 . 5/12/2006
Aww, that was so sweet. Great writing, very in character. Nice job.
xh4z3L3y3sx chapter 1 . 1/13/2006
Continue! You HAVE to. You can NOT just leave us hanging like that. So, chop chop, come on, UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! You heard me! So go type, because I LOVE this story and cant wait for more. And now im impatient. *pouts* Alright, well, JUST UPDATE PLEASE!
Leondra chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
Beautifully written, and the simple prose really put some powere behind this fic. Great job :)
tragicallyepic chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
aw. that was cute RJ interaction. i love how you indicated that they are going to get married but didn't say it. it lets the imagination run wild (or in my case it does). great story!
Certifiably Insane chapter 1 . 9/30/2005
OMFG! This is amazing!

xx

Kat
selina chapter 1 . 12/10/2004
oh my gush you are such an amazin writer. i know this was written a long time ago, and yu proaobly don't read reviews for these stories anymore, but i just discoverd your brilliance and wanted to tell you what a great, great wonderful brilliant writeer you are. luv you're stories, thank god u write lit, cause anything else is just plain wrong
Nice-one chapter 1 . 11/2/2004
Beautiful. I love it that you wrote a story around something as simple as a plastic ring...a very special simple plastic ring, I might add. Wonderfully written. Great job.
rorynjess4ever chapter 1 . 8/23/2004
Aww! That is soo sweet! I looved it! So simple. It was great. :-D
MahliaLily chapter 1 . 8/7/2004
Mai,

I love this story. It's simple and perfect.

Random thoughts:

Hehe. "Toy Box." Man, I hate those things. They are so rigged. Rory is lucky she only lost 75 cents. I've lost so much more than that. Except for that one time, in a bowling alley, when I won three times in a row. (giggle) Someone was smiling down on me that day.

27 years old isn't old, people! Grr. LOL! Sorry, had to get that out.

Deeper random thoughts:

My little sister and I were once talking about engagement rings. I told her that the guy I marry should know better than to get me a diamond. They're boring and trite... what everyone gets. I want a ruby. My sister replied, "I don't care what it is. It could be a cheap, plastic, vending machine ring, and I'd love it, as long as I loved him."

Your story made me realize just how right my little sister is, and I think you used that "cheap, plastic ring" perfectly in capturing Rory and Jess's relationship. She loved the ring. She loved him. Perfection isn't always necessary. But while the plastic ring symbolized their love and commitment, their promise, Rory needed something that symbolized their future. Because after a promise comes follow-through. That's all she needed. I dunno how to explain it, but I just loved it.

The whole story was perfectly plotted; that ongoing theme of this ring that Rory loves but that doesn't gleam in the sun, that's always just one step away from being everything.

You couldn't have chosen a better way to end it... with Rory finding the new ring in place of the old one. What a perfect proposal. It always seemed to me that Jess and Rory would get engaged in the middle of a fight. It just seems right for them. I've said before that fighting was always when they showed their true colors, their imperfections and weaknesses, and the power of the love they have for each other.

I also liked that the specifics of their relationship are a mystery. You never explain if this is an alternate reality where Jess never went to California, if it's a reality where Rory said yes instead of no, if it's a reality where they just found each other again after time gone by. We never know, and I like that – because it doesn't really matter. The important thing is that they found each other again somehow. That's all Lits need to know.

Hmm... I don't know. I just loved it. I really did. I can definitely see why Ali made it the new layout for b-m-g; it's a hopeful, sweet, perfect, little story. Just what we Lits need to keep our love alive.

Thanks,

Becka
Emily Carol chapter 1 . 8/2/2004
Beautiful story! I absolutely loved it. You're a really amazing writer!
Poodernite chapter 1 . 7/28/2004
Aw, that was adorable. Much like the story of emily and richard's proposal, a fight ending in marraige. I hope you continue this into a story. I loved it.
OTHlover04 chapter 1 . 7/27/2004
what was it?
Angeleyez chapter 1 . 7/27/2004
I hope you know that my lack of reviewing has nothing to do with a lack of enjoying. Because you are a wonderful writer. Do you remember when you wanted to stop? You threatened the furnace! But see, you didn’t. You stuck with it, which may have had a bit to do with me threatening you, but whatever. ;)

You have a unique writing style. You have a poetry type style, which I tell you all the time, although lately, I think, you know what I mean. I’m not the only one who says so. And babe, that’s awesome. I can’t write poetry, so immediately, I have an immense amount of respect for people who can, and who can do it well. For you to take prose, and add a poetic flare to it, essentially combining the two… well, hell, that just takes talent.

Now, on to specifics of this fic, eh? The idea behind it is so simple, but so beautiful. This cheap, plastic ring that means so, so much to Rory because he gave it to her. She wanted it, and he delivered. “The plastic container rolls into her awaiting hands, and she lets out a squeal. / It's a beautiful sound.