Reviews for The Hopes of the Republic
Ace of Spies chapter 25 . 10/13/2013
So the fall of Revan has begun. I know its an old story, but I cant wait until Rev- Aerin gets her memories back. The fact that Bastila used to be her friend? HUGE BETRAYAL. If I were her i'd be PISSED!

Also... Is Mai-Lynn... Is she going to become Darth Nihilus? I jUst think itd be funny and ironic how a jedi girl could become a tall, intimidating, Sith Lord with an epic voice that can scare armies off
machievelli chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Supposed to have been posted 15 September 2012, at and the Coruscant Entertainment Center in my The Critic's Two Cents. My computer went down again in June of 2012 with a virus. Then in late November kotorfanmedia went down for reasons unknown, so I was stymied in my attempts to post the reviews. I had waited for it to revive, but you on deserve your reviews.

Some of the work I read is what I consider worthy of a professional. These are marked as Picks of the Week. While they are posted on I am adding the best of the week where applicable.

KOTOR aboard Endar SpireL The adventure begins

You had a redundant 'sir' in Trask's reply. The problem is, this is a way to insult a senior officer without the man having a reason to get irritated by it.

Technical note: According to the Wookiepedia, the class of the Endar Spire is a frigate, a much smaller class of vessel than a battle cruiser. One problem I have had with the whole SW series has been that they use very few class designations; sticking with blastboat (What I would define as a gunboat instead) corvette frigate and cruiser. There is no given class for either the Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer for example.

Fighters: Until the Imperial era, fighters were not hyperspace capable. They were using rings in the Clone war era, but we have not seen those in the game era 4,000 years earlier. Since the Leviathan is only about half the size of the Star Destroyer (Which carries 72 fighters) having 300 begs the question of what carried them all to the battle.

Melee weapons; A melee weapon is a class of weapon, not a specific tool. It can be fists, clubs, knives, even guns used to club someone with. While the game had Trask give this instruction, merely putting away his blaster and drawing his sword would be enough instruction.

The piece is well done, and the battle scenes aboard the Endar Spire flowed very well. The disjointed thoughts; confused when she awakes, then remembering her time in the academy, picking up a sword and only then remembering that she was class champion does make her an interesting character to watch.

I just wish I had time to read it all.

Pick of the Week Best of the Week.
Gwendolyn Rogan chapter 6 . 10/13/2008
If I were Aerin or Carth, I'd be a little worried about Mission. She's rather violent for being so young. I understand that she has had a hard life, but still. (Not that there's much to be done with me reading this so long after you wrote it...)

Anyway, another good chapter. The action was well paced and I never grew bored with it, which is good. I'm glad to be back to the story as well. I got a little distracted with Jen's story and one that I'm currently working on (not to mention, oh, actual work in this thing called Real Life). Yeah. Can't wait to read on!
Squirrel54 chapter 2 . 9/15/2008
Chapter 2 down! I can't really offer any (What I hope to be) constructive criticism at this point, as your writing skills have really improved a lot since you've written this piece, so all I can really do is say that I'll be onto chapter 3 at some point soon!
Gwendolyn Rogan chapter 4 . 9/10/2008
I'm glad she's able to unconciously use the Force, because it would just seem too weird if she couldn't. I didn't think about it until I read it, so there you go. Good storytelling.

I can't rmember if I've already said this, but I like how you're filling out the game and that we're seeing all the "outtakes" so to speak. The scene with Lyn is a good example of that. We don't need to play Revan (or whoever) dressing because that would be Sims of the Old Republic and it just ain't what we play the game for, but having it in the written version is kind of fun, especially since our former big bad guy is mortified. I somehow don't imagine that in a Sith Lord.
Squirrel54 chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
Just read through the first chapter of this. Out of interest, I checked the very latest thing you've written as well, and I think your writing has really come a long way. Good job!
Gwendolyn Rogan chapter 3 . 9/9/2008
I must say that I like Aerin's duel personality-the one the Jedi gave her and the one she had as Revan (or so I'm assuming...). It makes her more believable as a character who was given a new identity and new memories. And, on that end, I'm happy the Jedi gave her a background. There seem to be a number of stories out there where the "Revan years" where nothing more than hazey memories at best.

Oh, and I think you've inspired me to dig up a *serious* story I abandoned a year ago or so. Humor is lovely, but sometimes I need to get back to my roots in drama. Can't wait to read on!
Gwendolyn Rogan chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
Just based on this first chapter, I'm pretty excited to read the rest of this series. It looks like it'll take awhile, but when reading something good, time and length is not an issue. Not to mention the fact that it's a long game. Thanks for helping to relieve boredom at work! (And thanks for the kind review on my little KOTOR experiment!)
Darth Demon2 chapter 38 . 8/11/2008
Great story
Auros Sopherai chapter 12 . 10/5/2007
Well, I happy to be reading Hopes- again. This will be my review for chapters 11 and 12. As usually, I'm happy with the sense of movement and restlessness in your writing. There isn't a dull moment, which really keeps me as a reader on the edge of my seat. I like the fleshing out that you offer to minor characters like Davik.

I was interested how you would approach the concept of seemingly everyone dying on Taris, which sort of negated all the good work that Aerin did there. I think that it's very plausible that if people had seen what she had done for them that they would try to find Aerin in a disaster. Plus, I couldn't have imagined Zaalbar and Mission just sitting around and watching the city fall around them.
Artistshipper chapter 32 . 2/26/2007
I see someone has studied the Battle of Midway in detail. very nice WWII parallel. I'd expect no less of a fellow Hawaiian. ;)

I look forward to see how many more historical battles you draw on.
PadawanMage chapter 38 . 12/23/2006
Alice, there are rare times I can reread a story and still enjoy. This is definitely one of those times. ;-)

Details are always key, so I'm going to reread the updated chapters. Although this story is already finished and a year or so old, I'm still glad you thought of doing the write up anyway. Thanks again for being an inspiration to do some writing as well.

Take care and happy holidays!
Auros Sopherai chapter 10 . 12/21/2006
What a great flashback! You know me, I just love a good backstory and this was as good as any. This was especially helpful in understanding a lot of the quirks of Aerin, and the hints about the Jedi messing with her mind were pretty good. You might want to change the chapter title or move this earlier. I got a much better impression of who the Jedi wanted Aerin to be... I liked the military stuff, and that you wrote something you knew about while still adapting it to this world. I can think of very few other authors with as much knowledge in the military arena, and it shows in the way that you simultaneously weave the emotions Aerin feels about her training with the action in the story. I'm putting Hopes... on my favorites!
Auros Sopherai chapter 9 . 12/17/2006
It's been another great chapter; which is something that I'm really coming to expect from you. I'll start off with a bit of negative criticism, hopefully it will be helpful though ;). I think that the first two paragraphs are a little rough. You're overall style doesn't come across very well in these two as it normally does. It felt like you were going too big and epic and it became a little muddled.

But don't let that get you down because those were only two paragraphs out of an otherwise awesome chapter. I just don't think you have to try to go for an epic feel in this story when your style (quick pace, exciting technical action, and unforgettable characters) does just fine!

Of particular note for this chapter, I loved the way that you described Kang's home and the way that you gave a new perspective on him by making him a charmer. Aerin's encounter with the masseur was rather funny also. You've gotta love the girl, cause sometimes she's seems so clueless! ;)
Thug-4-Less chapter 34 . 12/17/2006
Sheesh, you guys are going to make me blush like a virginal schoolgirl... or virginal schoolboy, I guess.

I'm liking the little added bits.

Pretty soon I'm going to know the plot better than you guys, at this rate.

Fight, GO!