Reviews for A Drift of Azaleas
Paul chapter 1 . 11/10/2015
Interesting oneshot. You got the name of Sirius's mother wrong, but that's understandable, seeing as when this came out. Especially liked having Mrs. Black bequeath the house to Sirius due to believing him a traitor, that sounds like her.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/4/2015
Great story. I just found ur stories today and am very impressed by the quality!
Radio Free Death chapter 1 . 3/6/2013
Felt like going bit by bit.

The opening line, while nice, was confusing. Was it implying that Regulus would turn him in if he saw Sirius again? Considering how old this story is, not sure how close to canon it reflects. You might wonder why I'm reading it anyway if it's so old. Saw the story today, decided to read and review it.

There's obvious symbolism here, with the azaleas being both good and bad connotations, with reflections. The transitions flow very smoothly, though there were cases where some of the writing was a bit stilted. You do say a lot in little words, which is always fun. And great. Don't forget that.

It's not necessarily creepy though. At least it wasn't to me. It's still a nice piece regardless. The reflections and hesitation from Sirius was very well done, as how he eventually 'tolerates' his mother.
Crazy Koala chapter 1 . 6/13/2011
As many people said already, this story is creepy...but in a good way. Had a bit of a gothic feeling about it...
not-so-loony13 chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
That was so creepy. So, so creepy. I really enjoyed the creepiness though! Poor Sirius.
verity candor chapter 1 . 7/16/2009
Nice. Disturbing, as warned, but really really well done.
PennyOfTheWild chapter 1 . 12/19/2008
This was ... absolutely beautiful ... heart-rending, like poetry, or music. I loved how you portrayed Sirius - a lot of fic-writers have taken to writing him as an unfeeling brat who never cared a whit for his family, but you - you showed his indecision, bitterness, heartbreak and betrayal so well.

I especially loved how it could've so easily been a part of the original books - one of those out-of-the-way moments the author deemed unimportant, but that tells a whole story on its own. Your descriptions were brilliant, and your style of writing amazingly beautiful.

Your portrayal of Kreacher was remarkable, and the atmosphere you painted was painfully poetic, reminiscent of an old, deserted, Romantic-era courtyard - the azaleas, the decript house, the dead woman - I hardly found it creepy, more - amazing.

I don't know whether you intend to write anymore - but I'm putting you on author alert just in case. What I would not give to write like you!
Dodger Gilmore chapter 1 . 12/16/2007
Yet another excellent portrait of both Sirius and the Black family. You are a very good writer.
penelopeweaver chapter 1 . 3/22/2006
Wow, this is really something, and quite original. I had never thought before about the fact that Sirius was disinherited, and yet could still be recognized as the master of the Black house. Your idea that his family actually rewarded him for what they thought he had done is quite intriguing! It's entirely plausible, too!
WhynnyFille chapter 1 . 2/22/2006
Slight creepiness indeed... Wow though. Very creepy, but that's a good thing. Keep writing!
Neekie chapter 1 . 12/25/2005
It's funny that you call this story "creepy" in the summary. You write with such sensitivity and tender subtlety that it doesn't come out creepy at all, but painfully wonderful.
Magical Poof chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
I always like it when people write fics about Sirius missing his family. I absolutely hate it when Sirius is always like "they're all gits, even though they're my blood and I grew up just like them."

And yes, well, how long had that corpse been there? I liked the ending, I thought it was rather funny.
Pickledishkiller chapter 1 . 8/13/2005
Wow. Creepy, yes...

Someone kill Kreacher...

Anyway, that was interesting about Regulus, how he and Sirius actually were close, at times.
Mressi chapter 1 . 7/4/2005
Quietly beautiful; an inspiration. There's not much else I can say.
Romana chapter 1 . 6/28/2005
I liked the tone: contemplative but unsentimental. This filled a canon space perfectly - I really enjoyed it. :)