Reviews for Evensong
ziggy chapter 21 . 10/15/2005
ah Rose- I cant write now- feel too full of emotion. I dread reading your next story and not sure if I can bear it- I found this so hard. I know you kindly explained what you are doing here, but I love the way you write and I know it will break my heart when you get to the end...you are too good, it touches me too deeply to read the tenderness and love in the relationships in your characters- Tolkien did not really give space to the other characters in the same as Sam and Frodo - understnadably. But you fill that space and I cant bear to have it empty again.
Eruwestial chapter 21 . 10/11/2005
This is such a beautiful group of stories. Thank you for writing them-and for letting us know they aren't over yet. I truly love the way you write Legolas and Gimli (though I do prefer slash). I REALLY look forward to the next one!

Eruwestial
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 21 . 10/11/2005
Hi, Rose!

Sweet ending,and veryn interesting. I like it that the Ents arenot gone, but renewed, althought they are shepherds no longer. And the part of Aragorn referring to his strugle with the Plantir is quite interesting. Is that a hidden reference to Lamiels stunning AU story "This Present Darkness", perhaps? For she writes in length abouut Aragorn's struggle with the seeing stone at the moment, although in her story it seems he is losing...

I'm glad to hear there will be another story, although the end is sad, since we know that Aragorn will die, and afterwards egolas and Gimli will sail. But still, I'd love to see one more tale in this universe by you! And the solution why Gimli survived this long and was allowed into the Undying Lands is well thought out, either. As a Ring Beareer, he will of course be allowed to go, as were am and Frodo!

I loved the exchange between Gimli and the king, and Aragorn's - unnecessary - labyrinthic plotting to get Gimli to keep him company so he would not ride, which proved out to be comepletely uneccesary in the end, since he could just have asked. But tghere is one sentence I love especially:

"Aragorn looked at the dwarf for a few more moments, watching as he fiddled unconsciously with the ring, an artefact Aragorn could not see with his eyes open, but could feel in his soul with his eyes shut; a ring of power indeed and Gimli another ring bearer who would be worthy of the challenge."

*A ring he could not see with his eyes open but could fel in his soul with his eyes shut* - it is a testament of Aragorn's power that he can feel Valdas influence and power, especially remarkable, since you wrote that Legolas can not. I like the intricate web of friedship you have woven between these three!

So, cheers to you again and thank you for this wonderful story. And I am looking very much forward to the next one.

Albeit... didn't you promise another foray into the slash field at some other place? .

I would really love to see another piece like *Beast and Bees*, *Thruth and Consequences* and *The Pot and the Kettle* was stunning in it's grab of canon and character. More, please? :-) BTW, wasn't there a piece called "Carving white marble" once, or do I remember wrongly? Where did this go?

Alma's Muse chapter 21 . 10/11/2005
Great story. Honestly, I felt that this was a good stopping point for the story. There are still questions but enough satisfaction to be content. I like stories that don't lay everything out for you but gives you a chance to contemplate the different themes and byplays of the story. This was one of your best, Rose Sared. Thanks for sharing this tale!

Alma's Muse chapter 20 . 9/20/2005
I'm glad you're enjoying writing this story because I'm enjoying reading it! Another great chapter. Keep up the good work!

Alma's Muse chapter 19 . 9/17/2005
I am really enjoying this story. Wonderful chapter, as always. I think Gimli was right when he said Legolas would fade if he continued to fret over him as he does. But you cannot resist that dwarf. :) I like how you interweave spiritual themes into your story. That is the biggest appeal...including the Legolas/Gimli friendship, of course. I'm looking forward to the following chapters!

Thank you for your kind words in response to my last review. I hope to post another chapter or story soon. Take care!

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 19 . 9/17/2005
Hi, Rose!

Beautifull! You are forgiven for your clifie in the last chapter! ah! I like this one! I especially liked the part when Aragorn tries to get information:

“What happened, Dervoron? I feel as if a rock fell on me.”

“Cave troll?” Dervoron prompted.

The king closed his eyes again with a groan, the events of the previous day flooding back. Eyes still closed he asked, “Radagast, Legolas, Gimli?”

The silence that followed forced Aragorn’s eyes wide open. “What?”

This is such a great exchange! And Gimlis conversation with Yavanna, and the explanation how and why it came aboutthat gimli would join Legolas in his journey over the sera, is greatly done, too. It is just so sad to know that then the three friends will be separated forever until the breaking of the world and Aragorn will have passed on... still, a wonderful story, and a wonderful chapter! greatly done again, Rose!

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 18 . 9/15/2005
Hi, Rose!

Great new chapter, full of action, and your usual depth and fine subtlety of characterization. A delight to read, as every chapter of this story. I loved the fighting sequence out of Stone-Water-Worn-Smooth's perspective, and I loved it also that Stone-Water did not get killed by Legolas but Legolas spared him. Great stuff, indeed! Now, what happened to Gimli? Evil clif-hanger! Bad! :-)

Please write more soon!

Alma's Muse chapter 18 . 9/15/2005
A great chapter! Please hurry and update. I want to see what happened to Gimli. It doesn't look good for our dwarven hero!
Alma's Muse chapter 17 . 8/27/2005
Wonderful! Can't wait for more!

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 17 . 8/27/2005
Hi, Rose!

Wonderful chapter. Although I am not sure I like the withdrawal from magic from Ennor, and the muting of the Riverspirits, trees and eagles. Celebrimor is just too presumptuos. And Granite-Glintings death is sad, too.

How will Legolas manage to get over the next ten years, now, when the call in his heart is even sharper?

Wonderful story, but sad. Very sad. :-(

I'm waiting eagerly for the next part!

Alma's Muse chapter 16 . 8/22/2005
Great chapter as always. I'm looking forward to more and seeing where you take this. Your details are great. Keep up the good work!

Alma's Muse chapter 15 . 8/14/2005
This story is so cool. Sorry for my lack of elaboration but I can think of nothing else to say. I feel like I should wait before I commit anything else to words but I want you to know that I love this story. Its complexity is truly beautiful. Well done!

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 15 . 8/14/2005
Hi, Rose!

Wonderful new chapter! Sorry for failing to review this long, I was lazy. I liked Legolas fight against the darkness that held the trees in chapter 13, and the description how it exhausted him, and Aragorns grief at Duilins death; and the matter-of-factly care Legolas showed to Gimli ven while he himself was deeply worn and only half-there in the last chapter. I also likied the idea that Gimli came out of his bath to fund his tent had aquired the company of the king and his entourage while he was in the bath. Great images!

But this cahapter here is a marvel again! Wonderful quote of your own story to have Stone-Water-worn-Smoth be the cave troll they meet, and Gimli aka "Mossy-Rock" feel simpathy for him. As do Iby now;that cave toll is really bad that in this universe here there is no Hagrid to take care of homelessmonsterslike there would be in the HP-universe...

I also liked the littlethings, like the guard politely restrainig their king from going to close to the cave-troll,and the healer throwing his Lord out of the healing tent because said lord is exhauusted already. Very well done!

And Celebrimor and Narvi! That mad grandson of Feanor dares to complete Illuvatars song? Talk about presumption! He also forgets that he and Narvi are bound into the song, not free from it likethe humans, so they can do nothing that has not been predicted in the song from the would thatencourage them? I shudder what will really hapen if they get to use that mouthpiece. Hopefully, somebody listen to our little cave-troll soon and he can guide the heroes to the cave where the grey-faces stole his mother...

This is a wonderful build tale and a really, really good story!

Please write more soon!