Reviews for The Prodigal Daughter
ZeusParker chapter 19 . 1/26
Almost finished with this story, and while I like it overall, I must confess to taking some issue with the depiction of Section 31. Not that I approve of their actions in the slightest, but the Section 31 of this story reaches levels of sadism that no canon story ever even hinted. They were ruthless to be sure, but they were never quite so murder-happy as this bunch seems to be. If they really were, Bashir would've been dead before the end of Season 6. Kilbourne strikes me more as an authoritarian than the Well Intentioned Extremist archetype Section 31 is normally portrayed has. I mean, The Illusive Man (before he was fully Indoctrinated anyway) would look at this guy and go, "Dude, what the hell?" I mean, there's really only so many people you can make "disappear" to cover up your actions before you start getting diminishing returns and the bodies just start to raise more questions and bring the very kind of attention you were trying to avoid. Section 31's coin is plausible deniability. Blowing up the most famous missing ship in Starfleet history less than a year after their return might interfere with that somewhat.

All that said, I see we were on the same wavelength when it came to Burke (the real one, I mean). I also had him pegged as something of a sociopath. The line was played as a joke in the episode, but when B'Elanna said to him in Equinox Part 1 "Going through my stuff again," I had him pegged as an emotional abuser. I tried to make that more explicit when I covered the Equinox story in my own Voyager fic.
Martin P. Brooks chapter 3 . 9/1/2017
Paris was promoted back to Lt. several episodes after the water planet story where he was demoted to Ensign. i do not remember the name of the episode, but I remember the scene. He showed up to the con, and the captain had put a small case on his seat or on the console (don't remember which) that contained his second pip. She congratulated him, and then Harry playfully lamented that he wished he would show up one day to a small case placed on his seat or console. I remember this because in the episode about Voyager doppelgangers from the planet where a new Voyager and crew were created, Janeway officiated the wedding of "Lieutenants Parish and Torres." This was during the time Tom was still briefly and ensign and was meant, I think, to be a clue to viewers that this was not the real Voyager crew. It was a few episodes after that that Tom was promoted back to Lt.
Your story is great for (I'm only up to Chapter 8) as I always felt the series finale was a letdown for several reasons: What happened to the Maquis? How did Paris' reunion with his father go? Always wanted to see C and J get together and thought C7 was stupid. Finally, I was always disappointed Voyager never showed the Equinox crew ever again and would have liked to see a redemption episode or at least an episode in which they were tormented by the friends of the two Voyager crew members who died during the Equinox incident. I think a scene between Naomi and Maria in which N acted scared of M (she same way N acted scared of 7 at first) would have been powerful. Naomi had extended the hand of friendship to Maria in the mess hall only to have had Voyager attacked by Maria's ship later on. Your story, while it does address all my hopes, provides a plausible theory of what transpired after Voyager returned with respect to the Maquis and the Equinox crew.
Anon chapter 21 . 4/24/2014
Oh hey what do you know Federation ships run on Linux...
zanuda chapter 24 . 4/23/2011
Thank you for this excellent novel. I was lucky to read it whole: it saved my nails from being bitten off in waiting. It was great the way you dealt with the worst eenmies of the Federation - infinitely worse than Dominion or the Borg. The Voyager crew is great and, of course, Marla. Oh yes.
deitarionSSokolow chapter 24 . 9/10/2010
Absolutely beautiful. You really should see if it's possible to get it accepted as an officially-published Star Trek novel. It's at least as good as the ones I've read.

As for details, I love how you've given center stage to a non-central character. It's so rare to find people who are both willing and able to write something like this. I'm rating it 5 out of 5 in my test data set for the ficfan dot org prototype I'm working on.
karis chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
just finished the story

Love that you gave Marla some closer. The whole equinox story always bothered me. The lost ship trying to get home does things that are horrific. However given the crew (presumably) did them at the Capt's orders how were thay to blame? It was one of the VOY episodes that just didnt scan.

Good story

keep up wiht the good work
DianeB chapter 24 . 5/29/2009
Nice story. Very satisfying. I'm glad I stuck with it. Forgive me for not being wordier.
DianeB chapter 11 . 4/22/2009
At nearly the halfway point, I felt compelled to insert a short review. Even though I've never thought much of Section 31, I'm totally immersed in this story. Your characterizations are bang-on and your writing is a joy to read, and that makes it easy as pie to visualize each situation. Bravo!
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 24 . 12/1/2008
Wow.

I’ll tell you this for nothing; you DEFINITELY don’t do things half-way.

The “Equinox” incident has always struck me as one of the more controversial moments Janeway would have had to deal with when she got back to the Alpha Quadrant (Admittedly I don’t think MUCH about it, but when I’ve done so it’s always been along those lines, so the point remains valid), so this in-depth analysis of the long-term effects the “Equinox” Incident had on both the Equinox Five in general and Janeway in particular earns your story significant points.

You go to GREAT lengths to explore both the dynamics of the ‘relationship’ between the crews of “Voyager” and “Equinox” in the aftermath of that episode- really, it was a shame the producers didn’t think of showing how that situation developed after the Equinox Five joined the ship-, clearly presenting the hostility faced by the Equinox Five while simultaneously clearly outlining why they would go to such lengths to save one of them; whatever they’ve done, the Equinox Five are part of “Voyager”’s crew, and they NEVER abandon their own.

In the end, that was Section Thirty-One’s main weakness, really; they’ve grown so used to stabbing people in the back that they almost can’t even conceive that anybody would WANT to go back for someone they don’t even seem to like that much, and hence couldn’t understand why Janeway would go after Gilmore.

And as for your use of Section Thirty-One here…

GOD, those bastards do NOT know when to quit; even after Bashir and Odo RUINED their big ‘plan’ to get rid of the Dominion- to say nothing of Picard saving the Ba’ku; their involvement in that particular scheme might have only been ‘confirmed’ in the novels, but that was a DEFINITE “Section Thirty-One”-style thing to do-, they’re STILL trying to ‘protect’ the Federation by violating everything it’s meant to stand for?

The captains in the shows might have been forced to do some questionable stuff over the years- Picard infiltrating a smugglers’ ship, Sisko faking evidence to lure the Romulans into the Dominion War, Janeway’s vendetta against the “Equinox”-, but at the end of the day they’d at least have to answer for what they did; Section Thirty-One are just a law unto themselves with NO regard for morality any more (Assuming they ever HAD any).

Plus, of course, the fact that Section Thirty-One are trying to destroy the Romulans because of what they MIGHT do in the future just makes their actions worse as far as I’m concerned; even if Section Thirty-One has ‘evidence’ that Romulus will attack them in the future, as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to kill people for what they MIGHT do rather than what they’re DOING than you might as well have entire planets commit mass suicide to stop them from MAYBE causing large-scale harm in the future.

Oh, and your use of the DS9 crew was another nice touch; while I do wish that more people than just Kira and Bashir had appeared, their use in the plot perfectly captured both their personalities, creating a VERY interesting look at their interaction with the “Voyager” crew and their subsequent aid in resolving the Section Thirty-One crisis.

All in all, an exceptional piece of work that gave under-used characters from the show the chance to live up to their full potential at last; keep up the good work!
TheVulcanPrincess chapter 24 . 6/27/2008
Wow. This is great.
fanficfever chapter 3 . 10/4/2007
This story is great. I've enjoyed every chapter, great work.

In response to your author's note from chapter 3... Tom Paris was reinstated as a lieutenant during the episode "Unimatrix Zero".
Kudara chapter 24 . 12/27/2005
Very nice story, well done.
Darkness Takes Over chapter 24 . 4/12/2005
This story was sensational! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this over the last few nights. I am glad that Lessing was allowed back into Starfleet and onto Voyager again. It is also great to see Gilmore given the opportunity to undertake some form of command in Engineering. Overall this story was exciting, well written and it really should be made into a mini-series for Star Trek Voyager!
Darkness Takes Over chapter 22 . 4/12/2005
Oh god! What is she going to do? Thrilling stuff!
Darkness Takes Over chapter 21 . 4/12/2005
Oh, loved it! It was really creepy about the scene in the Science Lab with all the dead aliens floating in the air! Very creepy indeed! I wonder how the combat situation will turn out...