Reviews for Violent Dreams
Kaitlyn Tyler chapter 9 . 1/10
OK, I cried as I read this. It was horrible! (by horrible I mean amazing, the feels were so much that it was horrible...ugg, I am not making any sense! Anyway, it was amazing.
Epiphany Aria Grace chapter 9 . 12/24/2015
This was amazing. Really, truly amazing. I envy your talent. I love Race, and I love angst, and you have pulled off the Race angst more accurately, emotionally, and humanly than I've ever seen (and I've read just 'bout every Race fiction with the slightest trace of angst). Good job.
King of New York chapter 9 . 5/10/2015
Woah. This is, by far, the best fic I have ever read. And lemme tell you, I have read a hell of a lot. It's just perfect, the characterisation is spot on, the dialogue doesn't sound off or unrealistic. Congrats on this.
Guest chapter 9 . 7/27/2013
Aaaaaaaand flawless. Yet again. How couldI expect less? The end made me cry tho, I HATE stories about newsies leaving it just makes me wanna curl in on myself and die.
Yup.
Guest chapter 2 . 7/27/2013
AND JUST REALIZED THE COMMENT BELOW MY LAST ONE WAS FROM ME, OH GOD. THAT COMMENT, WITH THE IM SHAKING HIM THING... GOD. OH MY GOD. THAT WAS THE SCENE THAT I COPY PASTED. THAT WAS THE SCENE I LOVED SO MUCH I SAVED, THE SCENE THAT HELPED ME REFIND THIS. IM SUCH A WRECK RIGHT NOW YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
Ohmigod... Ohmigod... OHMYFUDGINGOD.
Do you have any idea how happy I am? Any idea? No? Well let me explain.
I read fanfics on my iPod, and when I find a funny part in one, I copy paste that little part in a notes section of my iPod.
Around a year ago, I read this gem, this fudging diamond in the fudging Mary- sue, cookie cutter fandom we live in. And I found a part that was funny.
And I copy pasted it.
And a couple months later, I remembered reading a story, I story I had really loved. It was about Race... And there was insomnia involved... And solitaire... And he fell asleep under some sort of grandstand.
That's all I remembered, and it drove me crazy.
Fast forward a couple months and I'm reading through my notes section, reading all the funny snippets I've collected over the years, and I see it.
I FUDGING SEE IT. AND I REMEMBER.
I had to have spent the better part of two months searching up every single word combination I could, going through every single Race fic EVER...
But I never found it.
Now, today, after who knows how long, I've found it. And I wasn't even looking for it, you know how fudging ironic that is? I WASN'T EVEN LOOKING FOR IT. I HAD LOST ALL HOPE. BUT NOW I'VE FOUND IT AND IM LEGITLY TREMBLING AND SHAKING I KID YOU NOT.
The first time I read this, it left such an impression on me. I learned how to play solitaire. I obsessed over solitaire. I quotes this story, reenacted this story, stayed up late and it made me stronger, you know? Like, Race's been through worse than you, so suck it up. And I would suck it up, because its true.
I think I was depressed for a little while when I couldn't find my gem, my diamond of a story.
But now I've found it.
Thank you. This story has changed my life forever, so a simple thanks is all I can say.
Thank you.
Guest chapter 9 . 10/19/2012
That was GOOD.
like... awesome.
My favourite part would have to be:

"Racetrack? RACETRACK!"

"Jesus Christ, he ain't waking up—"

"Shake 'im—"

"I am shakin' 'im!"

I dunno, it just has me in stiches. :)
Rock on girl.
cassy1994 chapter 9 . 2/20/2012
this was intense, the sort of story that keeps you up till all hours of the night reading it! Loved it!
newsie dork from D.U.M.B.O chapter 9 . 11/22/2009
THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE RESPECT THAT I FEEL FOR YOU RIGHT NOW DUDE!

loved the fic!

you're a great writer. and i loved the way that you ended it. it was sort of a bittersweet ending. (i dont even know why...i just think it was)

one of my fav. racetrack stories! EVER!

-newsie dork from D.U.M.B.O.

P.S.-i've been asked about my name a few times...and i'd just like to make this clear.

D.U.M.B.O. is an acronym. it stands for:

Down

Under (the)

Manhattan

Bridge

Overpass

and yes...that means that i live in ny. actually, that means that i live in brooklyn.

just thought i'd answer befor anyone asked (or was put through the torture of looking it up)
blissedoutvixen chapter 5 . 7/31/2009
Holy sh*t.
NCC-1701.1899 chapter 9 . 2/3/2009
this was really good.
Aris1013 chapter 9 . 1/31/2008
That was an awesome story :D
Facetiouslymischievious chapter 3 . 8/4/2007
If I were writing this, I think I would have switched the roles of Kid and Mush. Mush is the one you always see talking/fauning over girls in the movie. You only hear Kid talk about it once in KONY. *shrugs* Not that big of a deal, but I guess that's just what I kept thinking. Other than that, I like it so far. Okay... I"m gonna go finish it now.

~FM
Brunette chapter 9 . 7/31/2007
I do so love this epilogue. Moreso at the beginning than at the end. I like that it had almost nothing to do with Lerror. I like the symbolism behind Race moving on, away from the newsies and the Lodging House. He's starting again, right where he finished off his inner-turmoil with Lerror. It's a smart ending.

The toasting and party, though sweet, felt a little cheesy and false. Not terribly so, to the point where it discourages from the story. And I think we needed it just for the certainty of Racetrack sleeping at the end. It was just kind of like, "Ho, hum, okay then." I think the ending needed to be a little silly, just because anything serious or brooding would have felt ridiculous. And you as the author understood that. I don't know. It wasn't particularly wrong or anything. It just felt sort of tacked on there.

In a way, though, it's distantly kind of bitter and sad. Just when Racetrack realizes that his friends are there for him, he leaves them to venture out on his own. There's something ironic about that. The entire time that he really needed them, he was paranoid and kept to himself, and now that he realizes that they're there, he goes out on his own. (Did I just say the exact same thing two sentences in a row? I did, didn't I?)

Anyway, I really am a huge fan of this story. It has a scope that I don't think any other story has managed to muster in so few chapters, in so few words. It's very impressive. I'm glad I decided to read it. Finally.
Brunette chapter 8 . 7/31/2007
So...wow.

Not as wow as last chapter, but then it really wasn't meant to be. I like how casually Racetrack identified Lerror. I liked his conversation with Chris. More MYSTIC RIVER feelings... I like his dialogue, certainly, but it almost gives words to symbolism that really didn't need it. I'm not saying what he said was unnecessary-I think it very much was. I think we needed that conversation to confirm what was hinted at all along-that, in essence, Anthony Verdi died in that basement, too, he was all-but completely forgotten until his murderer showed up again.

What I mean is, we've kind of known, through the subliminal images in the text, that Anthony is "dead," and we didn't need the conversation with Chris to tell us that. At the same time, the story needed that conversation. Racetrack needed to recognize that that part of his life is over-prematurely, it was taken from him. I find it cool that he doesn't identify himself as Anthony Verdi; in essence, he's letting Lerror serve a double-murder sentence because he did, in all senses but the physical, kill him.

I hope you realize how exquisite this is. There is seriously some beautiful, beautiful irony going on. I am so profoundly impressed by what goes on in the story, and what goes on just beneath its surface. This is the kind of stuff I go looking for when I really read something, and I'm always pleased when it's actually there. And I know, as a writer, that when we take the trouble to hide it there, we want to know somebody's seeing it. So, there, I see it.