Reviews for Harry Potter and the Battle of Wills
pokane chapter 51 . 1/6
Wow, I am so happy I found this story. Thank you for writing it.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 23 . 12/27/2020
I just wanted to drop by and say, I’m playing the Unquiet Dead card game and there’s a family in the game called the Wellington-Smythe family HAHA. Did you get that from this omg. Also... I have to reread this one day
Afiana Arch chapter 51 . 12/3/2020
thank you for the journey. there are soo many moment of satisfaction came across me while reading this fic. And I couldn't stress this enough in this comment, but thank you.. thank you soo much for such appropriate ending, professor snape deserve it. how am i gonna move on from this ending? its beautifully written, i couldn't stop crying from it. i'll treasure this moment forever... You're such a good writter... and again thank you..
Guest chapter 48 . 11/15/2020
AHHHH THIS IS SO GOOOD
Judy chapter 51 . 11/14/2020
Okay, so I just read the whole epic story on AO3, but since I can't leave comments there, I'll just do it here instead. I know it's 15 years old and I'm probably just talking to myself/the void, but here goes.
First of, my compliments for coming up with, and writing and actually finishing this enormous project - I personally lack the patience and stamina, so hats off to you and your mother. Most characters seemed pretty much IC (Draco having balls was a notable exception), and there was a nice British feel to it. Oh, and I liked Smythe-Wellington too, and whoa McGonagall has a husband!

But. Your Snape is an absolute saint. Seriously. A saint. I know he was a bit mean to Harry wrt the memory of Sirius's death, but Harry did sign up for a Voldy-like rough treatment.
Thing is, this is a Harry & Snape story, but you basically made Snape do (almost) all of the work. His POV was apparently all wrong and he just needed to get over his childhood grudges and see Harry as Harry and not his father. Harry is in this story even more of an ungrateful brat than in canon: Snape risked his life and gave up his spy job to save his sorry arse, and other than an accidentally blurted out 'thanks' wrt only the resuscitation, Harry doesn't thank him until over half the story later. By that time Snape has saved him a couple of times more, for he isn't thanked either, but Harry has yelled at him ripping open and rubbing pounds of salt in some old and new wounds by calling him Snivellus and mock him for losing his use as a spy and whatnot. Snape even remembers his words on his deathbed, that's how painful it was.
To add insult to injury, Harry complains to Remus and after laughing at the idea of apologizing to Snape (treating him like a human being is apparently a hilarious thought), Remus physically intimidates Snape as if he's a naughty pet that needs to be put in his place. His former bullying victim and now colleague. In front of a student. No regard whatsoever for Snape's POV, no acknowledgement for saving Harry and even agreeing to teaching Occlumency more often after not being properly asked, no one ever apologizes for doing this shit to him - and still your Snape just accepts it all, agrees to working with Remus to save Harry for the umpteenth time, and even unexplicably starts to change his mind about Harry, who at this point really does behave like his father! Snape's a saint!

Another example of not considering Snape's POV is when Sirius has every reason to genuinely thank him for saving his godson, and instead physically intimidates and humiliates him in front of a laughing crowd by grabbing his rather shorter former bullying victim by the robes and kissing him in the face. Disgusting and very ungrateful. He never apologizes either (Snape would have mentioned such a notable event), and still Snape agrees to work with/near him. A saint!

Harry for his part never considers Snape at all. No thanks for saving his life for most of the story, no apologies for watching Snape's Pensieve memory or for all those things he yelled at him wrt his parents etc (only once for iirc hurting him, and for seeing snippets of Snape's memories when Snape pulls out of Harry's mind - the story never explains how Harry is supposed to prevent that), and when he learns the Pillar of Storgé returns the parental love one received, knowing that Snape had felt nothing, there is zero (0) thought that that means Severus Snape was never loved by his parents at all. At that point he had Snape's look of shock and fear to consider, and didn't know yet that everyone else had seen James and Lily.
He has seen firsthand how the Marauders treated Snape, but is still outraged that Snape hated James and still loathes Sirius? Does he ever think?

One last thingy: if three people die, and two are traitors, two are defiant and two are freed, it doesn't follow that one must be all three. Take the Trio. Two are boys, two are in a relationship and two are Muggle-raised. None of them is all three.

So, anyway, nice talking to you, Void :-D
And sorry. Though I did finish reading it and took the time to write this review, and that IS a compliment on its own.
Rachael Lockie chapter 1 . 11/1/2020
Even though this fic is 15 YEARS OLD I wanted still To comment thank you! It was an absolute pleasure to read
Asterlace chapter 12 . 10/23/2020
I know this fic is super old and me writing here is only for my benefit but I just gotta say I love everything about it except that Harry can't have one single emotion without someone telling him to stop having that emotion. Driving me nuts because the poor guy just needs to work through what he's feeling and then he will feel better but everyone keeps telling him to stop feeling this way or that way..like let him feel emotions! Let him deal with them and work through them! Goodnesssssss He can't just react without everyone on his back about it and it's crazy. Someone get him to a mind healer and listen to him without judgment for once so he can learn how to deal with alllll the crap. lol that's me channeling my emotions about this fic into a silly comment. :)
DeadFish37 chapter 51 . 9/14/2020
Really enjoyed reading this story. At times I found it frustrating, but all of those frustrating parts are pulled together and made right. Felt very real.
Wicked Kisses chapter 51 . 8/28/2020
Bravo, brilliantly done! This is cross posted anonymously on ao3.
Aurelian16 chapter 10 . 8/21/2020
Hello and Happy Fanfiction Writers Appreciation Day! So many great scenes in this chapter. That line of Harry's: "Which part of me do you hate most, Snivellus? My father's face or my mother's eyes?" was brilliant, and that scene had me on the edge of my seat- and then you brought in the Voldemort vision. That was terrific, and I'm curious about how Voldy's advances on the US will come into play. Thank you for writing this fascinating story, and for so many others. Hope you have an amazing day!
Kathythomas chapter 17 . 8/14/2020
I hate Ron and Hermione together. And if Harry and Ginny get together, I'll barf.
redtiger45 chapter 1 . 8/4/2020
This is by far one of the best pieces of fanfiction i have EVER read. The writing style is fantastic and almost reminiscent of JK Rowling’s. The relationships between the characters and the themes throughout the entire story were gripping and made it super hard to stop reading. The ending— OMG literal chills. Thank you for writing this masterpiece! 3
SmileABunch6396 chapter 51 . 7/29/2020
I think I found this fic awhile ago, hmmm perhaps, 3-5 years ago? I don't know. But let me tell you, after rediscovering this gem in 2020 and promptly rereading it in the span of four days I have learned quite a lot. Immersed in this AU, I have appreciated the themes of survivor's guilt, grief, the power of emotions, redemption, what Snape has thus dubbed a "hero complex," and also love. While this diverges almost entirely from canon, I much prefer your line of thinking for the character arcs of Prof. Snape and Draco Malfoy. I'm not sure if you're even checking this particular fic anymore but thank you. I have enjoyed this roller coaster of a fic and I'd like to think I've learned a lot from the characters but also the authors. Please keep writing!
sisz chapter 19 . 7/29/2020
I gotta say red eyed mutant skrewt is definitely the most creative name for old Voldy that I ever heard! and did I mention that I love how intricate and creative and original your plot is? absolutely spellbinding (no pun intended)
ZozoIleana chapter 51 . 7/10/2020
I have nothing to say except that this was the best thing I've ever read. I'm crying rn and laughing and shaking and I absolutely love it. The characters were perfectly written with the exact right amount of love and sentiment from each of them. LOVE.
6,254 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »