Reviews for In Plain Sight
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
I'm sitting in my room reading this and trying not to laugh too loud because I'd die of embarrassment if my family found out I read fanfiction... But it's so hard not to... So I'm practically bawling because not only is it perfect but it's so hilarious! And then I come to the end and there's that nice sweet ending which fits almost oerfectly with the funnier and still believable earlier plotline, and that lovely end puts a warm glow in my heart... And then he nev got his coffee! I love that literary tool! And you got almost the whole Fellowship in too... Mae carnen, meleth nîn! ("Well done, my love" in Sindarin, an Elvish language... I do love you for making something as hilarious as this!)
Gallifreyan Phoenix chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
Haha! This story is exactly what I needed after reading so many angsty fics. It kept me laughing-and it's pretty well-written to boot. D
Earelwen chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
I felt it was about time I reviewed this! Is 6 years late still better than never?

I first read all your fics back when they first came out. Checking the dates I think that would have made me 15. I'm currently on a nostalgia bend and re-reading old books, re-watching old movies and then remembered all that LotR fan fiction I used to read. You should know that yours is the only stuff to have stood the test of time. I'm now 22 years old and a 3rd year literature student but I killed myself laughing just as hard at the tales of ale and indigestion as I did when I was at school! I love the way you weave together Frodo's humour, worries, wit, reserve and strength. It's brought back all those things I loved about Tolkien's world. All your stuff from 'Sammath Naur' to 'Reckoning' to 'Battle Scars' is just gorgeous in description, humour, angst and character understanding. You are a rare author! I'm so glad I didn't just imagine it before in my fantasy fuelled, LotR induced insanity during GCSEs. If you ever feel like posting anything ever again you will still have an appreciative audience here.
koryssa-kory chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
lol. i completely understand his desire for coffee! O
andaere chapter 1 . 9/17/2009
Wow. I love your writing SO much. You write splendid, bittersweet angst, but also the most wonderful humor. This one was a bit more /naughty/ than the others, but still very amusing. What I really love is that you intersperse the humor with some light smatterings of angst... which makes the humor even better and funnier. And I must say, I adore your portrayal of Frodo as a grumpy patient and someone who always gets what he wants.

There were too many funny moments in this to count! I loved the fact that Aragorn woke Frodo up to take a sleeping potion... and good ole Faramir being a partner in crime in the "Brotherhood of Pranksters"... and all of the supporting cast like Gandalf, Aragorn, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and even the cook were excellent... oh, that reminds me - it's nice to see a Frodo with a nice, healthy hobbit appetite. :)

This was a very healthy length too. :) That makes me very happy. Thanks so much for writing this! Oh, and if you ever feel the need to write more LotR humor 'fics... please do. xD
Estrella85 chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
Absolutely spectacular story! _ I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while. :) Great job.
Goosegurl chapter 1 . 9/4/2005
XD *dies*
RachelStonebreaker chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
I laughed and laughed at the bits in the beginning where Frodo kept commenting on the fact that Sam and Aragorn were talking as if he wasn't there. That was just too darned funny.

It did take me until the Gandalf and Faramir scene to understand what had happened to keep Frodo indoors though. I’d simply thought that Frodo had over indulged the night before and couldn’t understand why he had been confined and why he wasn’t barfing up chunks and why he was wanting breakfast if he really did have a hangover. I didn’t realize that it had been two nights previous and that he HAD been barfing up chunks. Ah, the recupretive powers of hobbits.

You wrote their voices so well (as usual); especially where Sam and Frodo were discussing how big people took offense to folks knackering around with their kings and all and Sam's accent and Frodo's swearing. I know JRRT didn't have Frodo swear but I can see where he would considering the circumstances of this story.

Your Sam is such a classic peace maker siding first with Frodo and then with Aragorn and then again with Frodo. What a born politician.

“ "I'll see what I can do," Sam repeated, edging cautiously toward the door and thinking uneasily of sticks and bears.” No, no, no, never go poking sticks at bears. Do you remember that Far Side with the bear cubs begging the dad to tell the story just one more time and the dad saying “ok” and picking up the two human skulls and making them talk saying, “Gee Bob do you think there are any bears in that cave?”, “I don’t now, Jim, let’s go see.” Just like hobbits.

This story just kept getting better and better with the introduction of more and more characters. I loved Faramir admitting to loosing (well, it wasn’t really loosing) to Frodo in a drinking contest. Oh, and I’d love to hear about the debauchery in Buckland…

There were so many funny bits it’s hard to pick out any one or two, but I think Aragorn’s “Two questions leapt to mind: 'Has Frodo's condition worsened?' being the first, followed immediately by, 'What has Pippin done now?' “ and Frodo asking Pippin about Merry, “How does he do that?” about Merry’s obvious abilities at smooth talk. I LOVE your Merry (spoiling for a fight and everything)!

I'd forgotten this story and noticed that I'd never reviewed it (shame on me because it's such a good one).

~ Rach
Scarlet Lady chapter 1 . 9/11/2004
Holy cow, I about died laughing! Whatever you were sniffing when you wrote this, please sniff more :)
Smart Alex chapter 1 . 9/6/2004
Oh dear Lord I believe I have just curled up and died with suffocated laughter.

This is truly the best fic I've read all day - I love how you portrayed Frodo: with a mind of his own, with the wisdom of his age and not sickly at all. And Merry's wit, and Pippin's familiarity, and Sam's- well, wonderful -Sam-ness; and Gandalf and Faramir and poor Aragorn, dealing with such unruly hobbits and 'king king I'm the king!'.

Did Frodo ever get that coffee, then? ;)
lovethosehobbits chapter 1 . 8/28/2004
Oh my dear, this was so fantastic I can't even tell you. I chuckled and laughed all the way thru, and thought 'oh, that I could write like this fantastic author'. I look forward to more of your fantastic fics. Truly wonderful. tree
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 8/23/2004
Good grief... I am really getting behind when I haven't reviewed one of yours!

This one is very cute, though I think what I enjoy best is the sarcastic Frodo. He's got some simply classic lines - and while I might have thought him more a tea drinker, I can WELL understand the craving for coffee.
Fennelwink chapter 1 . 8/22/2004
Oh my, oh my. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while. Till my eyes watered I tell you! I loved this fic. Your characterization was superb. I love how the hobbits are quite the handfuls. Perfect, perfect. And the scenes at the Serving Wench! You and I must be sharing braincells, my dear. The scenes between Frodo and Lila were a particular favorite. You rock! I will definitely be reading your other stories. Bravo, bravo!
BoboBaggins28 chapter 1 . 8/21/2004
My head and my stomach hurt from all the laughing I've had to endure to get through this piece! I love the way you portray Frodo's tempery flare and I just couldn't help loving all the bits of uncouth English language! Thank you for making my day.
endymion2 chapter 1 . 8/21/2004
Thank you SOO much...just what I needed after these last horrible days...I nearly LMAO!

"But Big People are a mite funny when it comes to people doing away with their kings. They might take on and such."

The eggs were unmoved and only stared blandly back at him.

"They have coffee!" he told his tea, fully expecting it to blush with shame for not being rich and black and sweetened with two sugars.

"And make sure you choose men who are not easily swayed or intimidated. We are dealing with an individual who has never once, for as long as I've known him, taken 'no' for an answer."

„This king business wasn't as hard as he'd thought, after all.“

...“that the Ring-bearer, whom he'd always held in a sort of reverence, was actually some-what more down-to-earth than he'd ever imagined.“...that’s what makes your stories so special, among many other things of course...your characters are...real...not ethereal, lofty, whatsoever

...“even though that boy's hair is now streaked with silver“. Hm, I’ve been wondering about this too, but yet, isn’t Frodo still a bit young ( for a hobbit) to turn grizzled?