Reviews for Live Forever
mysterydeer chapter 1 . 10/18
It probably seems odd to review a fanfic that is about 13 years old now; but, thinking it over, I wanted to express my thoughts over it. Mostly because you're probably the best Terra writer I've come across so far, and this fic is a prime example why.

You display what I feel like both the fandom and the show failed to do: remind us that Terra is human. She never intended to be a superhero, and, deep down, she knew it. Terra never struck me as someone who ran away out of immaturity - but, rather, she was so used to being guided by her paranoia that, ultimately, it really would've taken more than obstacle courses for the Titans to get her on the right track. She was still responsible for what she did, but it is pretty clear that Terra wouldn't have done any of that if either she or they recognized it sooner. Not an "excuse", but she was one of those situations where you know she wasn't the type of person who would willingly do those things out of sheer malice, and that she had been through enough messed up situations at a young age that left her vulnerable to manipulative personalities like Slade, even with the Titans offering to be a support system. Cases like hers are easier to understand and sympathize with, while not denying her responsibility, if that makes sense.

Which is why I appreciate the self-awareness you gave her. I do think that she really did want to save Jump City deep down, to make up for destroying it in Slade's name... but that, after what she been through, after realizing what she let happen, she probably wanted to die without actually properly redeeming herself, too. People would say it was cowardly (and it makes sense Terra sees herself as one) - but, really, she did show nobility by staying behind and trying to save the city rather than letting it die. Even at the cost of her own life, and without knowing whether or not she would be successful. Even if the core of it was her own inability to confront her problems, she still chose not to just run away and continue the path of destruction.

And the entire little mental world she built for herself... Ouch. Personalizing herself and the Titans as simple little kids, who didn't have to deal with the hardships and issues they fought with in daily life, who only worried about whether or not they'll scrap their knees; and her letting go of that fantasy, of living forever in a world where you don't deal with the consequences of your actions, just as she sacrifices herself after getting herself into a situation she could've prevented, but didn't.

It all really emphasizes the actual tragedy of Terra's story: if the circumstances had been better, if they all had taken the time to listen to each other, if she didn't accept the date, if she had just realized sooner... if she had been able to recognize her agency and accountability sooner, her entire arc wouldn't have occurred the way it did. And the fact she knows this, and hate herself for not truly realizing it sooner before she essentially "dies", is so heartbreaking. It helps humanizes her, and yet still allows the reader to make their own conclusions on how they feel about her with really leaning in the "she was always rotten" or the "she was always innocent" sides - but, rather, "she was always Terra" side.

I wish I had meaningful critique to offer, but... I can't think of anything. The imagery and description hit the right notes; Terra felt like her canon self and yet so much bigger; and both of those elements blend together into a short, yet satisfying story. It is really telling how well something like this can hold up so well, and I appreciate you gave this story.

Please, I really do hope you have a nice night/day (depending on when/if you read this, heh.)

- Marilyn.
Shadow Logic chapter 1 . 7/2/2016
This was excellen! I'd never considered that take on Terra's sacrifice. I'd always taken it very simply, with Terra suddenly overcoming her selfishness, but this is a more nuanced idea, one that really seems to fit her. You're right, Terra wouldn't simply 'snap out' of being selfish. It's new to me but very appropriate to her character, because it's just like she did when she did the right thing (telling Beast Boy about the attack) but was filled with motives about it (stopping Beast Boy from hating her, rather than stopping Slade from pounding the Titans).
Spiderjuice chapter 1 . 3/20/2006
Holy crap, you are a genius.

A genius who's really good at writing Terra.

I am one of those people who's absolutely obsessive with getting characterization down. That would make you one of my heroes right now. And I love your thoughts and how you write them. You're an awesome writer and a very deep thinker. Remember this review when you become a famous millionaire.

...And remember Terra too. She rocks! ;)

xSJ:)
ally ally oxenfree chapter 1 . 11/29/2005
That was amazing. You're brilliant. Terra is one of those characters that's hard- REALLY hard to understand, or capture in a fic, but you did it brilliantly.

BRILLIANTLY.
kk chapter 1 . 10/20/2005
It's brilliant but so sad!:-(
Kyrelle chapter 1 . 3/18/2005
I also like how you interpreted her death as her running away again, because that's how I saw it, in a sense.
Kikiri chapter 1 . 3/13/2005
Perfect.

I really don't feel people pay Terra enough attention, not so much as to delve into her character and analyze what was going on underneath.

Beautiful imagery and brilliant metaphors, as well. So wonderfully well-written, and it's totally on my favorites now.
HVK chapter 1 . 2/24/2005
Wow.

Just...

Wow.

That was a real tear jerker, I mean it was amazingly realistic and stuff. Absolutely wonderful. I love it.

I'd give a critisim, but it's impossible to make this any better.
Kingfishers chapter 1 . 2/19/2005
OMG. Wow. I'm putting you in my favorite authors. I love how you write. There are so many wannabe authors out there that it's a relief to encounter a writer like you. Please write more things like this.
VainRhinosCarDen chapter 1 . 12/26/2004
that was really nice. i liked it a lot.
The Great Jefepato chapter 1 . 10/19/2004
Great stuff (and I don't say that often - I find that most stuff on , regardless of the reviews it gets, is actually pretty bad), although I feel the need to be a bastard and point out that "whys and hows and wherefores" is redundant. "Wherefore" means "why."
inu91 chapter 1 . 9/27/2004
wow...this is amazing. You have an understanding of Terra i couldnt hope to achieve myself. I'm too busy being biased toward her. This is really something! Keep it up!
hikari kumori chapter 1 . 9/5/2004
wow...thats all i hafta say..i love how you describe things...sniff* its so sad terra did that..i will never forget that she was a true freind...~~
UnknownSource chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
Terra fic. Yay! Lovely, descriptive, character focused, emotional, interesting, in depth, intriguing, slightly heart jerking, realistic, Terra fic. Double Yay!

Ok, I loved the metaphors and the descriptions. Description is definitely one of your best writing skills. I dunno, you just have this ability to paint a vivid picture with words, not just the scene itself but including all the little quirks that make it really interesting. The idea of Terra trying to retreat into a childlike state was very well protrayed, your writing style makes it very easy to relate to the character and understand things as she does. And Terra has redeemed herself from Mary Suedom here, kinda. Taking the easyish way out rather than face the music so kudos to you for making her an actual character. Suppose my only complaint would be there should've been more. Much more. With sequels.
Daine chapter 1 . 8/23/2004
::blinks:: That was amazing. Possibly the best Terra characterization I have ever read. The part about her staying in the volcano because she was more afraid of going back with the Titans, because she was running away again - that was brilliance. Magnificent job.