Reviews for Heart, Sword, and Song
CaylieJelly chapter 6 . 1/22
I absolutely love this chapter! I guess there's really that point in time when Kenshin tries to deny his growing affection for Kaoru and keeps on second guessing himself but he's already into deep.
Sword On Fire chapter 6 . 12/6/2006
This is my favorite chapter in this collection. I absolutely love how you can get inside Kenshin's head and show us a typical day of doing chores, and being repentant, and trying very hard not think about her in ways that "sessha" beliees he shouldn't.

'Winters in Hokkaido... [...] LONG winters in northern Hokkaido... spending the whole day standing under a waterfall to train... that time Shishou ran out of sake...'

I loved that bit altogether far too much. So much, in fact, that I just *had* to read the whole thing aloud to my sister. But now I must go and find her a picture of Hiko.

Please update again soon!
kechara123 chapter 7 . 5/11/2006
Wow! Generally, I wouldn't touch a song fic with a ten foot clown pole, much less a series. But you've made me go out and find these particular Sondheim songs just so that I can listen to them while I re-read the chapters. Skillful characterizations and contemplative insights make for captivating moments. I simply love it!

By the way! I noticed that no one guessed where "Kuchiki Dojo" came from, and all I have to say is: I want a Zaraki Dojo! I want a Zaraki Dojo! (Okay, so in all honesty, that probably wouldn't go over too well with the Kamiya Kasshin style, it'd still make for an...interesting experience.)
Yamashi chapter 7 . 3/9/2006
I must say, i just read through all of your chpaters and they're great! It's the right balance between lyrics and words which a lot of song fics can't do. The songs also fit great. I love your fic. 3
junyortrakr chapter 7 . 6/28/2005
That was cute. It's a good thing that noone had any idea what Yahiko was really doing that afternoon. Then again, maybe they're just waiting to ambush him later.
haytherebaybeeee chapter 7 . 3/13/2005
I can't believe I hadn't read these sooner. I'm glad I read them NOW before it got too late.

Not While I'm Around - Kenshin reminds me of Yahiko here, almost; it's kind of how I'd imagine he'd be. Defiant, young, a little flustered and self-concious. _ You make him a real character, not frosty-killer Battousai, but a teenager who doesn't really know what to do.

Loving You - Tomoe is one of my favorite characters, and once again you make her three-dimentional in this chapter. I'll admit I based my songfic "Tomoe" on yours - it's not nearly as good. 'Loving you' seems simpler than the other chapters, but that in itself makes it more signifigant.

No More - I don't have much to say about this, but it's good; melancholy but hopeful.

Pretty Lady - Wow. Yumi's one of the characters you'd never expect to see in here - especially in a point of view before Shishio. She's an interesting character, and you've got to like her for some reason _. It's sad but happy, how she ended up the way she did.

Green Finch and Linnet Bird - Heh. Aoshi and Megumi, when at silent odds with each other, are a good pairing. Not necessarily in a romantic sense. The lyrics were slightly disturbing, but they fit - very well too.

Losing My Mind - YES, my favorite chapter x]...I really don't like how Kenshin seems so dense, especially in the anime. I'd prefer to believe your take on the relationship - that he noticed, but held himself back. That he didn't think of her as a dependant as much as...Kaoru. _ THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY! Heh. It also provides an interesting contrast with Tomoe and Kenshin's relationship. Theirs seemed darker, flustered and more desperate - more of a Romeo and Juliet tale. Kenshin and Kaoru's, however, is warmer, full of confusion and little hints. Again, the lyrics fit in so well! It's amazing how you fit them in so accurately.

Love I Hear - I hate to become so dreadfully archetypical, but that was sweet. Very innocent and clear, and your details add clarity to their emotions. I'm tempted to look up this song.

I had something I was going to say here, but...I kind of forgot. So I'll finish with the customary Kudos, although you deserve more.

Please update soon!

pego
skenshingumi chapter 7 . 2/7/2005
Another sweet entry. I reread the whole series to date and I am amazed at how well the selections fit the characters. Your writing wraps so well around the lyrics you've chosen. You give insight to the characters while keeping them very true to form.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 7 . 2/6/2005
That was so cute! I loved Yahiko and Tsubamae in the anime and you've captured Yahiko's awkward young love crush perfectly. Good job!
Nekotsuki chapter 7 . 2/3/2005
Yay! Update!

“So.. um.. Kaoru.. if you were a girl.. I mean, if you were... I mean, um.. girls like, um.. flowers and..and... stuff, right?”

Funniest line in the world. Sweet addition. _
lolo popoki chapter 7 . 2/3/2005
This one was absolutely wonderful! So sweet...Yahiko in love :) I don't see too many fics in Yahiko's point of view, and I think you managed to characterize him so perfectly. I loved the part where he was thinking: "Samurai weren't supposed to walk around with goofy grins plastered on their faces! ...Well, unless they were Kenshin." Lot of great humor in this chapter! Keep up the great work!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 6 . 1/25/2005
Usually I don't read songfics, but I'm really glad I read yours. Each chapter gave so much insight into the characters you chose. You developed aspects of them that the manga and anime didn't have the time or space to cover, and I'm so grateful to you for doing them. I think the most touching one of all was Megumi (plus it had Aoshi in it too!). This latest chapter on Kenshin was wonderful too! It fills in a lot of gaps as to why Kenshin never seems to show his feelings for Kaoru in the anime. Thanks for writing these - I loved them!
lolo popoki chapter 6 . 1/11/2005
I just checked your profile after reading your review again and I realized that I had read this before and never reviewed. I have to say that this is a beautiful collection of song-fics; definitely some of the best that I've ever read on this site! All the songs that you used fit so perfectly with the scenes you chose to write. Very nice...I hope you write more in the near future.
Dea Mariella chapter 6 . 12/18/2004
wow! this is one of the greatest almost-songfics i have ever read! the songs you picked were uncannily apropos...hm...maybe sondheim is a rk fan...? lol i don't know if you are updating any more, or if it's finished, but if you do update, please make it soon! brava and enjoy your musicals!

Dea-chan

(for the yumi one, all i could think of was lovely ladies from les mis...funny, ne?)
Dea Mariella chapter 3 . 12/18/2004
oh man...that's all that i can say...i'm just gonna scurry on to the next chappie, but i just had to say that for this chappie (into the woods is one of my fave musicals...)

Dea-chan
Ferret Kunoichi chapter 6 . 12/18/2004
I really enjoyed all of these stories. Its an interesting outlook on what the characters might think. Good job!