Reviews for Of Balrogs And Battles
Firnsarnien chapter 2 . 8/29/2004
Wow! What a wonderful story! I found the twins so cute. I think hearing the tale firsthand instead of just reading made it so real. I felt so sad for Glorfindel and all he went through. Obviously the twins felt the same. And that dream they had sure made it even more real.

But the part that really got me, was the end. The way their mother was pretending she'd been captured by orcs. How sad that that actually came to pass and they would find themselves rescuing her for real.

Great story!
Elbereth chapter 2 . 8/29/2004
This was very good, but remember. Elves don't sleep. Abd why are they calling their mother Nana? Shouldn't it be 'ama' (the Elvish word for mother)? All in all, very good. Not very Elven-like, but well written, and enjoyable nonetheless.
kenzimone chapter 2 . 8/26/2004
Aw, that was wonderful! It made me smile and giggle, and the last sentence literally took my breath away (I wanted to tell the twins that "no, you really don't want to play that game! You *don't*!") Beautiful.
BeeJang chapter 2 . 8/26/2004
This is very good story. The twins are cute and creative! Glorfindel is always cool! I love him. I'm sure not only Miriel looked at him. All fan girls do!

The ending hooks me and it can turn to the funny story into the sad one. Great!
Flashgriffin chapter 2 . 8/26/2004
One, Excellent little story! I loved it thoroughly! Elrohir and Elladan were perfect! Two, now I'm really mad that PJ replaced Glorfindel with Arwen of all people... grr... don't get me started. And three... Why did you bring up Celebrian's ordeal with the orcs, several millennia before it happened? Kind of a horrible way to end a really good story. But all in all, I liked it, alot!
moonshine4488 chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
There were parts of this that were very funny! Not a good thing to read when everyone else in your house is sleeping. :)

The portrayal of Glorfindel fighting the Balrog was great. It was very easy for me to picture it.

However, I would have to say that the ending was the best. The irony of the twins pretending to rescue Celebrian from orcs was very creative.

Great job! I look forward to reading more of your fics!
dragonfly chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
Lovely ficlet! Glorfindel is my favorite elf, and hearing him recount his story was wonderful. But such a bittersweet ending, to have the twins play *that* game, it was a very sad twist to a fun fic.
JastaElf chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
Dear God... what an ending. Was fuer ein Ende! Oh Lord, Jay, this is a brilliant masterstroke...

“We’re warriors. Nana’s been captured by orcs, and we’re going to rescue her!
JastaElf chapter 1 . 8/25/2004
I said it over at SoA, and I'll say it again here: this is a charming story. The Twins are delightful in how they create mayhem all over the place; their bloodthirsty, childlike delight in gore and the hazards of the course is nothing short of hilarious. The reactions of the adults is what gets me though: Elrond and Celebrian are so calm about it, as is Glorfindel, so blase until they think real blood has been shed... *grin* SUCH parents...

I love it. On to Chapter Two!
Erestor chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
Wow, amazing ending. I don't really know what else to say. The story was good, as was the way Elrohir and Elladan reacted to it. Their dream was so well-described and surreal, and their interpretation of it later made me shiver.

And the ending. . .well. . .very clever, very sobering.
Erestor chapter 1 . 8/25/2004
I am really enjoying this story so far. It is very good, and has made me grin quite a few times. I especially liked the various games Elladan and Elrohir managed to invent just from reading a history book! Glorfindel and Erestor's reactions to their games were just as amusing.
Kasmi Kassim chapter 2 . 8/25/2004
What a delightful story. I loved your rendering of Glorfindel and Erestor and the twins and Celebrian and Elrond and...everyone, basically. ;) You really do our lovely warrior justice. And the ending gave me the chills. Such innocent foreshadowing of such dark doom...what a brilliant piece of writing! Keep up the good work!
27 | « Prev Page 1 2