Reviews for Tale of a Time Long Gone
KitsuneMiyuKendraHyuga chapter 32 . 8/4
Wow. Really WOW.
*takes a moment to dry the tears*
This was a wonderful read. Well-written, well-thought out, wonderfully developed and beautifully executed. I was looking for something short about the Four Founders, and found this. While it's not short at all, I'm glad it isn't; all the characters have proper time to change, grow and therefore face believable plot twists. By covering almost all their lives, you made the founders so human yet at the same time so humbly epic that I can't even express it in words.
My favourite part was most certainly the love story between Rowena and Godric. It suited their personalities and it was amazing to see them fall in love so deeply and unconditionally. They argue and fight and have discussions, but their feelings are honest and fiecely loyal. Truly wonderful.
Also, the difference between their love and Salazar and Helga's is both great and heart-breaking. Their intrinsinc personalities always fit their actions. One of my favourite lines, but also one that made my heart ache for them, was when Godric bluntly told Salazar that he's a coward; since Godric is brave, he knows exactly what he's talking about. And Salazar, even as he descended into madness and began to do bad things, was not truly a villain; you give insight to him, and that makes it possible to understand him. Rhiannon's shocking twist, as tragic as it was, is fitting and a strong start for Salazar's slow change. I really commend you for making the Founders so precisely consistent, and for making their qualities fully canon-compliant.

There are only two, very minor, things that I have to criticize about this story. One is Ilar's role, or his character in general. He's quite one-dimensional, and after 20 chapters of giving such careful development of Helga and showing all her thoughts and troubles so deeply, suddenly having her be with him - a very minor character of whose personality we know nothing - for no real reason is odd. We see Aidan's thoughts, we see Ceri's, and so many other people's, but never Ilar's. He hardly ever appears before then, in fact, and when the marriage was announced, I still couldn't recall who he was or if he had ever appeared before. And it's also strange not to see his opinion on Helga's former love. But, as I said, it's a very minor thing, and it's just my personal opinion, not a flaw in the story.
The second is the fact that often it's not clearly stated whose POV is being used, and that makes it a bit hard to follow. After a while, it gets less confusing, but especially at the beginning, it would have been a help to have the character's name at the start of the chapter when his/her point of view is going to be in it. Again though, it's a minor thing ;)

The epilogue is wonderful. It brings everything to a full circle, and it is very clever to start the story with Rowena and end it with Rowena, too. I'm happy that in the end all the characters could have closure - especially Salazar, who could see Helga one last time and finally be honest with her. It is also good that, when Rowena and Helga get married, they keep their surnames (also to make sure that the Houses of Hogwarts don't change). And for Rowena to be able to live long enough to know for certain that the legacy the four of them started will continue... that is really heart-warming. Especially considering who her father is :))

Thank you so much for sharing this story, and for not deleting it. It was finished over ten years ago, and many authors delete their works after a while. It has been a privilege to read this exceptional story about the Founders. Thank you, truly, for writing it :))
YASSSSSSSSS
No, just pointing out and think someone should really fix the lack of proper commas, question marks and periods. I was enjoying this story a lot (the fangirling type) and this was dwindling my interest more and more. Please.

Please.
LovesCurse chapter 32 . 12/12/2015
Beautifulllll. Loved Evert bit of it.
Only missed the part where the Ravenclaw ghost is born and why Godric did not heed/ search after Salazars last words to him.
I dont think anyone will blame you taking the line.
It was a great story and masterfully written!
Guest chapter 17 . 7/9/2015
Awwww
Midsummernightsfantasy chapter 32 . 10/8/2014
I was just looking for a different story about the founders. I found pure gold instead. This story made me laugh and cry much more than any fan fiction I have read. The epilogue was hauntingly beautiful and so were the excerpts from Hogwarts a history. I will never think of the founders the same way again. You left me crying. I just want you to know that your story was life changing.
Be proud of your amazing work,
cheers.
Malu chapter 15 . 8/8/2014
Hi, I am reading this after 10 years
Lily II chapter 32 . 11/13/2013
I love this story! I'm going to go start the prequel right now :-) Keep writing!
Natto'n'aliens chapter 10 . 10/25/2013
I intended to review the last chapter, you know, because the story had been complete for so long already, but I need to get this out now!
First, this story is simply awsome. I love how the characters are evolving to be the Founders of Hogwarts, and I just can't get enough or their adventures!
Second, I was so excited when they mentioned 'caves'! Are those caves the caves where Sirius hid during...fourth year, was it? So cool that you use references like that! :)
Well, I'm off to the next chapter now... XD
NeonStargurl chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
Totally awesome. Can't wait to read more!
yinyangren chapter 32 . 12/2/2012
Ohmygoodness. I absolutely love your take on the Founders. Absolutely adored this story. All the tears and smiles! Everything you've written has a purpose and I love the epilogue. Love how it ties back to the prologue.

This was just simply fantastic. (And when I get the time, I plan on reading your take on the Marauders.)
SlyLittleLuna1234 chapter 32 . 8/12/2012
What a beautiful story and an even more beautiful ending. I loved reading it very very much. I nearly cried at the end, because death is sort of sad and because of how much I had come to love your characters and your story. It was a beautiful piece of writing,

SlyLittleLuna1234
PhoenixMist209 chapter 22 . 7/9/2012
hey. i just wanted to know if you actually have a copy of Hogwarts, a History or are the quotes made up...if you have and e-book...is it possible to send it to me? i LOVE your story btw...its absolutely amazing!
althepal chapter 6 . 4/25/2012
i'm pretty sure this is my new favorite fic :) it is now 5am and i have school tomorrow... no regrets.
Guest chapter 32 . 4/6/2012
ajkjskjd seeing that this is many years after the last update, I'm not sure if you will read this. But I have to say that this tale was epic. At the beginning, I never expected that the story would stretch onto a whole lifetime, but it was great that you did so, as the unravelling of all the events: from childhood youth, to war and Hogwarts at its prime, to all the marriages and children and all tensions, fights and deaths were all beautifully pieced to match a bigger picture and ‘Hogwarts a History’ (having those extracts were pure genius). I also loved how you had details of their parents and children. And the characters. They were so wonderfully crafted. I liked reading the development of them during the long time span and their transactions to who they are at the end were brilliant. Especially Salazar’s transaction to doing evil deeds and the change from the young Rowena to the stern, but wise woman she is at the end. (I always imagined her to be serious, but after reading about her rolling in the hay like a madwoman and her sharp-tongued bickering with Godric made me see her in a whole knew light. It was enjoyable seeing this side of Rowena.)

And the epilogue ajkjskjd. It was so nostalgic and bittersweet.

I thought that the lines– ‘She stopped at the stream's bank and gathered her skirts up above her ankles, chewed her lower lip for a moment, contemplating whether it was really the wisest thing to do, then she took a deep breath and walked into the icy stream.

It had better be there, Helga, or I will have your head for it next time I see you, she thought as she grimly pulled out her wand and charmed her shoes dry.’

And how it was referenced to the Prologue with the lines - ‘The fifteen-year-old girl gathered her skirts up above her ankles, chewed her lower lip for a moment, contemplating whether it was really the wisest thing to do, then she took a deep breath and walked into the icy stream.

You had better be there, Helga, or I will have your head for it. She thought.’

..was just pure perfection. I loved how you tied up the end of the story to the beginning.

Anyway, I will stop rambling. Your story was so magical, a work of a genius, really.