Reviews for The Great Hiatus
Guest chapter 25 . 10/10/2012
I've spent the past four days reading this. I'm by no means an expert at Holmesian canon, but I pride myself on having an eye for detail and I'm a bit of a character developer, so perhaps my review can have some merit.

Usually I shun original characters within fanfiction, especially ones featured so prominently, however I must confess that you have shown through and through how to do so with dignity, respect and taste.

The source material was researched thoroughly, and it shows. Your writing style was very Doyle with a dash of modern sensibility. The plot maintained a large sense of Doyle without even being a true crime mystery. It was a mystery of a different kind. This story featured the mystery of life.

When fate throws stones at Sherlock Holmes, how does he react? When everything he is familiar with is confiscated, what does he do? These are questions asked in most fans' heads, and at least for me personally, I found this tale to have a satisfactory answer. Holmes was written so well he may as well be called canon (which I cannot say for most Holmes fanfiction).

As a character study, I find this story so enjoyable, I may read it again. I may even make some art based upon it at some point. Thank you. This has been most enjoyable. You have an amazing talent.

Reese P. Holmes
Me chapter 5 . 12/1/2005
Hi, I hadn't really planned to write a review, although I thought your story was nice. But I was reading Ch. 5 and I noticed the Pride and Prejudice reference. Cute! I've been a bit immersed in all different film and TV versions of that book lately...
Lady Razorsharp chapter 25 . 11/23/2005
I would have reviewed each particular chapter, only I was anxious to find out what the next contained.

The shorter chapters are jewels, and the longer ones lovely in their own right as well. I do like Beatrice very much, though her relationship with Holmes is very hard to pin down. It is very unlike a marriage, though perhaps like some of their age, where a marriage is arranged for an advantageous match rather than actual love, and becomes one of companionship rather than romance...

...though certain remarks Holmes makes lets me know that he is not unaware of Beatrice's womanly charms. _

I am curious to see why he decided to continue their peculiar arrangement. I once read something whose author held that Dr. Watson had become a habit; perhaps that is the case with Beatrice? And when you described the cottage in Sussex I actually went, "Oh, my goodness"-and I knew Beatrice's little haven would soon become Holmes' retreat to which he will eventually retire.

This was exquisitely crafted. Bravo! I am off with all haste to read the sequel.
Susana chapter 25 . 9/12/2005
Congratulations!

Its is my first fanfiction holmesiana that I read

and believe that I have been lucky to find such an excellent work. It thrilled and puzzled me. Continue forward, never stop writing this way. I send all my fondness and respect from the distant Argentina,

waiting for other plays as this one.
AerynFire chapter 9 . 6/3/2005
A highly significant chapter *chuckles* there's always strings, governments never give something for nothing. An Intelligence Agent eh? No better man!

This is panning out beautifully in terms of fleshing out the mysterious gap behind the great hiatus and oh my, am I enjoying your descriptive work. Florence, of the period, is wonderfully, warmly and vividly described and your characterisation lively, Eugenio was indeed charmingly enthusiastic. Beatrice is a formidable, slightly mysterious 'little woman' and Holmes' reaction to her is cleverly and believably balanced, teetering between like and mistrust. LFire (of AerynFire)
AerynFire chapter 4 . 6/3/2005
So far a very novel, intriguing (and most arduous for Holmes!) take on the immediate aftermath of Final Problem. So glad you touched on the problems of withdrawal for a man in his condition such things are all too easily glossed over I've noticed. Interesting! The mysterious no nonsense benefactrix revealed and with a prior connection to the Holmes family no less, the plot literally thickens. Reading on!
Lindsay chapter 25 . 1/29/2005
Three cheers! This is the perfect ending, preserving their unique relationship while staying true to their respective characters. What a fun ride this has been. And I loved all the local colour- like a travel log, but never missing the human side of things. I can't wait for the sequel!

PS: I love the Tibet part! Who knew? (I certainly didn't!) Also the vulgar revolver. Ah, yes... : - )
QueenOfSpain chapter 7 . 12/24/2004
So, I have gotten this far and liked it. Now, I have...what, like 3,0 chapters left? Haha, joking Naw, it's a good story and the chapters are short, so it's all good. damn, is it long...that doesn't really matter, b/c I intend on reading the whole damned thing! You've drawn me in and I can't stop!

So, anyways, I'll have to congradulate you on being original. YAY FOR YOU! Also, I like your style

Well, I'm off to read more...:-D
gaudy night chapter 25 . 12/21/2004
Thank you for The Great Hiatus. I have enjoyed reading it these past few months. Merry Christmas!
mierin-lanfear chapter 25 . 12/21/2004
To be able to put a definite FINIS to a story is an achievement itself. For the whole tale, you merit a triple-hug and a warm handshake (also, a plateful of cookies).

We salute you, who have gone before us, we poor writers with unfinished tales.
Haley Macrae chapter 25 . 12/21/2004
Awe! Sherlock has a place he can run when London gets too boring. Not that that might happens anytime soon, I fancy. This was a great story. It's sad to see it end, but hey, that's why we make sequels, right? LOL. You're most welcome for the reviews. Till next time!

Ki chapter 25 . 12/20/2004
n_n Yey! Good fic. Can't wait for the sequels you mentioned.
L'wren chapter 25 . 12/20/2004
this was the perfect end to this fic. i'm looking foward to sequels though i think even if you didn't write them this would still be one of my very favoriet fan fics
Haley Macrae chapter 24 . 12/14/2004
How cute an ending to this chapter! You're right...this is a fanfic, not The Odyssey. LOL. Anyways, can't wait to see more.

Haley Macrae chapter 23 . 12/9/2004
*whistles* Oh, my...Things could gat rather interesting rather quick. Can't wait to see the next installment!