Reviews for Captain America: Sentinal of Liberty
10000 Fists chapter 1 . 4/14/2014
Honestly I thought when I was reading the Summary that this wasn't going to be my cup of tea. I thought that immediately there would be doubts and the 'dark secrets' of Captain America would come to light in something that may or may not be reminiscent of how modern day American politics are viewed and abused.
But after that first chapter, I am genuinely interested in where this story is going.
Lead me down the hole, Mr. Rabbit.
dampirecat chapter 25 . 7/29/2011
Thank you for taking what free time you had by writing this story. I sincerely appreciate your service and hope you find yourself able to enjoy these comics outside of the service.

Your insight to the military is evident in this story and was well written, keep up the good work:)

eroswriter3 chapter 25 . 3/20/2010
I just don't know what to say. Wow. This is the best story on the site. Period.
Proponent of EVO chapter 25 . 10/8/2009
I never thought I'd see this finished. I don't even know if you are going to see this review. I hope you do, though.

Thank you for this. It seems like such a small thing to say, but...I don't know what else would be just. Thank you for writing the person who might have done more to make me at least attempt to be a good man than anyone else.

I should say that I've always been a fan of the Captain America series; he gets a bum rap from people who don't know any better. It takes a certain type of hero to attempt to make sense of the world we live in, and I always say Cap as a lighthouse in a storm. You knew what was right just by that landmark, shining in the dark.

I find myself with Cap on the mind a lot, lately. I'm in law school, and constantly faced with injustice in our system, and I think to myself, "How would he have wanted this to go?" And sometimes, that's enough.

You write Cap beautifully. I'm glad you finished this story, and again, thank you.
tomstedham chapter 25 . 9/15/2009
All I can say after reading this entire story is...

Renohan chapter 7 . 6/7/2009
Big fan of Marvel! I'm loving your story so far!
Sean Mulligan chapter 23 . 2/4/2009
Macarthur was a real jerk. He was the one who was a clown not Captain America.
Sean Mulligan chapter 17 . 2/4/2009
The Red Army didn't massacre any prisoners at Auswitz. They acted heroically by liberating many death camps.
Blackwing13 chapter 2 . 1/10/2009
i really like it.
Jason Pepper chapter 25 . 1/1/2009
Great story.

Best story on fanfiction. The ending while a sad one improves the story quite alot. The darker twist kept the audience in suspense until the very last word of the epiloque. Indeed a huge achievement you should be very proud of. I am looking forward very much to any of your future fics.

I encourage you to send this fic to marvel, it would be a great graphic novel.

Keep up the good work!
Kaprou chapter 25 . 9/16/2008

I don't think this was a bad ending at all-because we are in the context of comic books. This reads like "part one" to explain how Cap went on a roller-coaster ride to discover the one behind a plot to destroy him, and the Avengers.

So the next step? Elements who are impressed with Cap, both in and out of the cape 'n' cowl circles, arrange for his release to deal with some threat. Only those with a moral code like Cap choose to see this kind of ending as permanant; more devious types like Murdock, people who always have a plan, can see to it that a release is arranged that is honorable enough to salve Cap's wounded pride at being locked in the slammer in the first place (even if his pride is masked as stubbornly giving his country what it wants from him.)

Besides, he could not have been given a better gift than a kangaroo court that is obviously stacked. That spends any sympathy the government end might have generated, and makes him the underdog. He gets to be idealistic symbol and underdog both, and he still has so many friends that it seems unlikely he'll be in there for long. Besides, the earth is always in mortal danger in comics, and sooner or later they will be unable to let such a valuable and experienced asset sit on the sidelines. If nothing else, they could "Snake Pliskin" him, from Escape From L.A.: we need this done, and you're really the only one who can do it. A hundred scenarios spring to mind. Maybe a neophyte hero does a job and the only reward he wants for saving the earth is releasing his hero.

The important element of him ending in prison, and furthermore voluntarily staying there, is the way it symbolically brings the story full circle. In the beginning, he had the most freedom a person could have-on the outside. Inside, he was in a tightening grip of terror as his need to be independent and the strongest one, sacrificing himself for others, crushed his sense of self to where he was losing what it meant to be him. He was losing the Steve Rogers, left only with an endless string of battles that meant less and less to him.

At the end, Cap has been defeated in about every meaningful way. His romances in ruins, physically battered, collared by the law with the bad guy going free-this was a balance, a grinding gauntlet to prove that Cap can't do everything either. So when you break the image that Steve Rogers is weak and Cap can do anything, and find that sometimes you need Steve to deal with things Cap can't, then Steve's Messiah complex about what Captain America is gets a dose of hard reality. I know he goes on about how he is just a man, BUT Steve Rogers does not, in his heart, believe Captain America is just a man. He is a symbol, a symbol that must not be defeated, and that is the source of his iron will and responsibility and stubbornness that wins many of his unwinnable fights.

At the end, his body is restrained, but finally he has a clear conscience. He did the best he could, he fought the good fight, and he did not win. But like a student with a 4.0 getting a B grade to break it, that disabuses him of the standard that he must be perfect to survive, and if anyone detects weakness he will shatter their faith in him and in what he stands for.

So he is free of the unrelenting pressure that was strangling him. He can't do it alone, he can't solve all the problems-but he is not alone either. He may feel alone in prison, but again, I don't see that being a long-term situation. (People can't even die for very long in comics, and if this prison is anything like the prisons they put villians into, he'll be free in no time. While it's true he won't escape and his release will have to mollify his pride, I still see his stay as short. Maybe a year.)

The bad guy was someone I'd never heard of or read about in the comics, but I didn't follow the Avengers-I blinked, and I missed it. No matter. The point is that someone rose from the trail of rubble that Cap left behind without ever looking back, and took advantage of being underestimated after being battered down. It was an idealogical conflict; how does America see itself? What strength and what weakness does that lend? It is true that Cap was bested in that conflict, and the villian did a clever job of making sure the lesson stung deep enough to stay. I just don't see the story ending here; greed, revenge, and hate are powerful, but they lack staying power when confronted with self-sacrifice, honor, and love. In short, the bad guy won and he'll soon face a lack of purpose that will make him hollow. Steve will get some rest and be back.

Shrauger has done a fantastic job with this story. I believe for myself that writing is cheaper than therapy, and I think he's done a great job of clothing some struggles and ideas in character and setting them loose in a story that turns them so the reader can see many facets. This is a story about freedom and trust and responsibility, about healing and right relationships. It is set against a realistically re-imagined interpretation of the comics, fleshing out the most real parts of the relationships and characters that provided the reason to read comics over time. This is a loving tribute to a mythos and world view that has provided a way to understand feelings and influences that are very real and do not wear costumes.

Thank you for a great read. I am grateful that you finished this story. I wish you all the best.
Wes chapter 25 . 9/9/2008
I am so glad that you finaly finished this story... not quite the ending that I would have expected, but still a great story all in all... great job I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.
Michael Weyer chapter 25 . 9/7/2008
While I disliked the darker ending, it did fit in well with the wonderful story you have written as you were so true to Cap's character through it all. The wonderful twists and turns made it all work and you showed why Cap is such a great hero. For you to do so while taking time serving your country is even more amazing and I applaud you for both your service and your talent and thank you for a wonderful read.
Kaprou chapter 23 . 7/30/2008
I am delighted to see an update! I keep hoping to see how it will end, so I'm still looking forward to the next chapter.

I wonder if both boxes were rigged with force fields, to activate one if the other box broke, or if it was pre-ordained that Bernie would live and Rachel die.

It looks like you have put yourself in danger of needing another 20 chapters hunting the real perp! In any case, I hope that Cap gets back together with Rachel Gray, as a telepath and telekinetic could be a handy friend to have in solving a murder mystery. And the field has more or less cleared...

Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading the next chapter.
Forcerlo chapter 23 . 3/9/2008
Hey its been a while since you have updated, I hope you havent abandoned this fic, it deserves a finish. Your story got me hooked onto Captain America now he is my favourite character up there with Superman. Please attempt to finish it when you get the chance, its one of the best stories on this whole website.