Reviews for A Saint of a Woman
ebdarcy.qt4good chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Aww poor Harry! This story seems like a very realistic prologue for the Harry Potter series!

Why was he saying "Eri-ss"? Is that a variation of Surius?
Carmabelle chapter 1 . 12/29/2005
Wow. I really enjoyed that!
duj chapter 1 . 11/27/2005
Poor Harry, but Albus is as much to blame as the Dursleys. Was it impossible during a Voldemort-free decade to supervise or support them in dealing with a very much unwanted magical child?
tea chapter 1 . 10/2/2005
Hi. I found this through Jetamors' Page of Gen Recs. You're the first person, ever, from all my years in fandom to know/write that babies' eyes are blue at first and then change colour at a later age. Harry's eyes could not have been his mother's green when he was born. Excellent.

The fic itself is quite good too; I like the way you don't shirk from Petunia's hatred of her nephew/the wizarding world. Too often have I seen Vernon being the one who is the real "bad one". Two little boys can be very frustrating, and it must be much, much worse when one doesn't want to care for one of them.

I wish more fics could accurately portray - with such detail! - the minor characters of the story, as well as very young children. Thank you.

The last sentence doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the story, by the way. It becomes a bit too casual with the "you know...maths and stuff". In the second to last sentence the repetition doesn't seem to really serve a purpose; you could end the story with "Yet spirit would return to him later" without the rest. Or just leave it at the paragraph before.

This came out a lot longer than I intended - again, thanks for a good story!
Anonymous chapter 1 . 9/29/2005
This is very good. It brought tears to my eyes (in a good way!). When Harry heard the motorcycle and got all excited because he thought Sirius was coming ... that broke my heart.

Excellent job.
ProfessorSpork chapter 1 . 7/12/2005
Masterfully done. It brings you from one end of the emotional spectrum to the other and back again. A true piece of art, this is.
Siri Kat chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
Oh my god...this story just completely broke my heart. I loved it (I'm an angst junkie) :)
Trinity Day chapter 1 . 12/30/2004
This was lovely. You presented an almost sympathetic-ish Petunia, who presented her case so very well that you couldn't help feeling sorry for her even as you knew that she wasn't all that sympathetic, treating Harry as she did, for whatever reasons she had to treat him that way. Although I think her realization that she was a child abuser helped greatly with that point. And Harry? It's nice to see him as something other than a good-natured baby, which everyone who's ever been around one knows don't exist - at least not to the degree that they never cry or have a tantrum. Overall, very masterfully down.
auroraziazan chapter 1 . 9/11/2004
I like the phrase "under lock, key, and braying, vicious bloodhounds." And I think this is the first early Dursley description I've ever read, and did I ever tell you how skilled you are at chaos? (and I'm not sure I understand why-liss)

I like the extreme variation in Petunia's moods. It makes for a very interesting character, and makes you wonder how it was for her to have held onto this secret for so many years. And was the righteousness thing... who was that? Bellatrix?

It's a shame, the way Vernon acts when he comes home and sees her fallen apart. You'd kinda hoped that at least with his wife he would know how to be affectionate, but I guess not.

I think that perhaps the moment of grand realization is a touch overdone for a one year old, but I guess you'd have more experience with them than I would. The phrase you used descibing Petunia's past, "corrupted by the strange and wondrous and mystical and heartfelt" sounded very good but the whole paragraph was a little confusing.

The motorcycle scene is rather tugging at the heartstrings. Poor little kid. Poor Petunia. Poor "Er-iss". It's a wonderful ending, and a really rich story. Totally well done.
Wren Truesong chapter 1 . 9/11/2004
*weeps and rages and, incidentally, worships your skill*