Reviews for Despair
a rohan soldier chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
I hope that the boys that were made to fight were at least older ones like 12 and 13 year olds (not that I like to see 12 and 13 years fight) and not little ones like 7 and 8 year olds.
Mara-DragonMaster chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
Thank you so much for sharing this story with us! It was a perfect length for a moment we were not allowed to see in the movie. The insight into Legolas's despair was real and believable; and you know, it's easy to forget that Legolas is really over two thousand years old! He seems so young– it must have been awful for him to see those boys being armed liked soldiers, going out to die.

I also liked the part where Legolas returns to apologize to Aragorn, and kneels to belt Aragorn's sword about his waist. By kneeling he was giving Aragorn honor and respect. He was acknowledging Aragorn as his leader, and reaffirming his vow to follow the ranger/heir to the throne. So well written! (If you can't tell I am a BIG Lord of the Rings fan.) :-)

God bless!

Mara-DragonMaster
CeciliStargazer chapter 1 . 10/26/2007
I loved it. It was well thought out and written. I like the last sentence... "I must go find out friend the dwarf. I think he might be interested to know my final tally of forty-two." Poor Haldir.
Spewilicious chapter 1 . 9/13/2005
This was beautiful. It made me cry. Thanks.
too lazy chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
This was good, one of my favorite scenes in the movie!
Rhys chapter 1 . 10/31/2004
That was beautifully melancholic! Excellent addition to the scene, I think it says so much that was unstated in the movie. It makes the arrival of the elves so much more powerful. Very nice.
Quickbeam1 chapter 1 . 9/11/2004
I enjoyed your story very much and it was very well written. I think you added perfectly to what indeed seemed to be missing from "T". I loved the following lines especially:

/ Unnoticed, Legolas drew back into a dusty corner, shadows falling over his face and hiding the pain in his eyes. He could hardly bear to watch the boys, so very young, especially in the elf's eyes, struggling in too big armor to lift spears nearly twice as tall as themselves. It wasn't right, wasn't fair, for these people to stand alone. It wasn't supposed to be this way./

As a parent, I always find this scene so very hard to watch.

/His eyes were sad as he turned to look at Aragorn, but there was strength in his gaze. There would be a time to morn, but they both knew it was not now. The battle was won, but the war was only beginning./

I'm glad you added these closing thoughts, because a few scenes in 'T', especially the extended version, bothered me when the main characters seemed to find some things so amusing like death counts or tossing dwarfs when so much devastation lay around them. I know it was the filmmakers attempt to lighten the mood so the audience would not become overwhelmed by the violence around them. I'm glad you added- /There would be a time to mourn, but they both knew it would not be now./ It just put into perspective what seemed to be missing.

And these last lines I admired probably won't make any sense after the last paragraph I wrote, but with how you handled this story, they make a lot more sense to me, and indeed put a smile upon my face.

/If you would excuse me," Legolas said. "I must go find our friend the dwarf. I think he might be interested to know my final tally of forty two."/

Thank you for the great read! You did a wonderful job. :)
ak-stinger chapter 1 . 9/8/2004
Good story. It makes sense that it wasn't only despair but also frustration that made Legolas snap that day. I like your interpretation.
1492163 chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
It's very good, that is all that I can tell you.

I really wouldn't mind if Legolas had more uncharacteristic outbursts, they're kinda sexy. Oh well, you show promise. Please keep writing. )
Deana chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
Very well done! Great job! ;) T was my favorite LOTR movie, lol ;)