Reviews for The Courtship of Lady Tokio
Tsuyu no Inochi chapter 3 . 4/8/2011
Another excellent chapter! Saitou and Shinpachi really compliment each other. Both were strong in their beliefs, but in different ways.

I find Tokio's character interesting, but a bit surprising for that era. Looking forward to the next chapter.
caseyedith chapter 29 . 4/8/2011
misaki-toyodome, this work is fabulous. It's simply brilliant. I'm simply blown away. You've made each character so three dimensional, and captured the humanity of each. That's one thing I love. I really feel like I know Saitou's character so much better now, and the real conflict there was between him and Kenshin, and their respective groups. Saitou truly is a good man, as Tokio says, because despite his and Kenshin's differences, he was able to overcome them for his beliefs. That's the true nature of Saitou Hajime. At least in fiction :). Ahh, historical fiction is great, but it's always a bit unpleasant remembering that fiction is still fiction.

Anywho, I just really love what you've done with this story. It's become something stand-alone.

I also really love Tokio's character-she's amazing, and I wish she got to have an appearance in RK. Nice reference to the Buddha statue, btw, sheer brilliance!

And I thought it was a very poetic connection you made, about how Saitou had Tokio, but Kenshin lost Tomoe, thereby predicting the paths they would take... It really does make sense, because when Kenshin thought he lost Kaoru, he gave up everything once again... I just made a random connection of my own: Kenshin and Saitou both loved women whose names began with 'T' and had five letters. Even Kaoru's name has five letters... I look into pointless coincidences too much, but hey.

I am still so psyched that there's even more to this story! I look forward to it!
ThexWhitexPhoenix chapter 29 . 4/7/2011
Aw poor Saito, having such a break down :(
Tsuyu no Inochi chapter 2 . 4/5/2011
Excellent opening and a model chapter. I can tell that Misaki-san has done her history 'shukudai' (homework). I love the way you portrayed each Mibu Roshi character. Looking foreward to reading more.
anreg chapter 29 . 4/5/2011
Thank you so much for the update! I reread Chap 27 before I read Chap 28. Great job! I really liked your first version of 27, and I really like the way you reworked it, too. In addition, I like how you incorporated what was formerly in Chap 27 into Chap 28.

I greatly appreciate how you weave history into this story. I never tire of the historical aspects of it; it just makes the story’s action all that more realistic. I found it very interesting that both the shogun and emperor died so close together, time wise, during such a crucial time in history. Having that happen certainly had to add to the instability of what was going on at the time.

I got a kick out of the scene in the antique shop. He hasn’t seen her for months, but put a spectacular sword in front of him, and he almost forgets she is there. (You can tell he is truly a swordsman through and through, lol.) I also enjoyed the other lighted hearted moments you included in this chapter, such as the scene between Tokio, Sato, and Saitou in the kitchen where the women tease him, and he gets in a bit of retribution. The light moments you included are a good contrast to all the very necessary, serious stuff that happens in this chapter.

I think the last scene in Chapter 28 was perfect. I see that scene as really solidifying their relationship and making it very permanent. His thought in the mid part of the chapter, “that he was never letting her go again”, confirms that permanence, as does his willingness at the end of the chapter to share with her his feelings and questions about the things he had done. When he sought her out to confide in her about what happened with Ito, it was almost as if he *needed* to do this to reassure himself that she would still accept him, regardless of what his duty required him to do.

She is now his confidant; he is willing to share his ‘emotional self’ with her. By telling her that he has doubts and questions about what happened, he surrenders a part of himself that he mostly likely would never surrender to anyone else. She is there to help him get a perspective on what has transpired and how he feels about it. She is there to support him by expressing her adamant, unwavering feelings for him (“I will always choose you”), repeatedly telling him, “I love you. You are a good man.” I thought it was a powerful ending to an intense chapter, where what happened in the line of duty greatly affected him.

I agree with your assessment that, “when considering why Saitou was able to continue to uphold his duty as "Shinsengumi" (at least in Watsuki World) and Kenshin was not able to keep believing in the Ishin-Shishi was because Saitou had Tokio and Kenshin lost Tomoe.” It makes sense that Saitou is able to continue to be the person he is, because of Tokio’s love, support, and acceptance of all that he is, whereas Kenshin lost Tome, his anchor. Tokio is there to reconfirm to Saitou that he is on the correct path, if and when he has doubts.

Thank you again for writing another great chapter. I’m looking forward to what comes next. (Don’t worry about how long it takes to post the next installment.)

(P.S. I’m glad you didn’t want to write Saitou as being ‘foolish with women’. In a way he was kind of ‘hiding out’ with Tokio at the end of the chapter, so you did ‘kind of’ fit in that tidbit of historical information, lol.)
deucetokki chapter 29 . 4/4/2011
It's so wonderful to read your work again. Seriously, your work is one of the best I've read on this site. I can't imagine the amount of research you do to write one chapter. And I'm so grateful that you go through all of this work because all of the followers of this story, including myself, thoroughly enjoy every chapter. Tokio is ever the lady-you write her with such poise and patience. I would not be so forgiving if there were so many rumors floating around about my lover, but I guess that's what makes Tokio and Saitou's relationship click. They truly are a great match, and I love how you portray the little nuances in their relationship. I'm looking forward to reading another chapter soon!
gwen chapter 29 . 4/3/2011
ah, I was wondering when this chapter of Shinsengumi history was going to come to pass.

as always, I loved the update. :)
aki6 chapter 29 . 4/3/2011
I never thought you would come back to this story, it's been so long. It would be great if this story can be completed. I would go back and read it through at one shot then! Just to let you know, so long as you write, I will continue to read.
ScarletLeaves chapter 28 . 3/27/2011
This is the most wonderful, beautifully written story i've ever read. The way you describe Saitou's everyday life and hardship and his relationship with Tokio, also the historic events you put in your story. I really do you update soon i'm dying to know what happens in the next chapter, especially Saitou and Tokio's relationship.
ThexWhitexPhoenix chapter 28 . 3/23/2011
update. soon. you. hear. me? :D
yifrodit chapter 16 . 12/24/2010
awwww, i love this chapter:) its just soo sad. i wish they could be together somehow.

great job!

you should really look into the song

My Never by Blue October.

it goes really well with this
yifrodit chapter 15 . 12/24/2010
when i read this chapter, this song kept popping in my head. i think it goes pretty well with this

I dont know where Im at

Im standing at the back

And Im tired of waiting

Waiting here in line, hoping that Ill find what Ive been chasing.

I shot for the sky

Im stuck on the ground

So why do I try, I know Im gonna to fall down

I thought I could fly, so why did I drown?

Never know why its coming down, down, down.

Not ready to let go

Cause then I'd never know

What I could be missing

But Im missing way too much

So when do I give up what Ive been wishing for.

I shot for the sky

Im stuck on the ground

So why do I try, I know Im gonna to fall down

I thought I could fly, so why did I drown?

Never know why its coming down, down, down.

Oh I am going down, down, down

Cant find another way around

And I dont want to hear the sound, of losing what I never found.

Down by Jason Walker
milkysa chapter 28 . 10/2/2010
This is a wonderful story - you are balancing plot, romance, and history with a sure hand, and your characters ring very true. I hope that you find the time and the inspiration to continue.
Thowra chapter 28 . 9/11/2010
I adore this story _ it is wonderfully written, and Saito is one of my favourites from RK ;)

Are you going to continue it soon? I really want to read the next chapter!
Vayne chapter 28 . 8/19/2010
This is one of the best fics I have read in a while. Your attention to detail is astonishing. I love how you incorporated your story of Saitou and Tokio with actual historical events, spreading your story out in a span of months. It brings depth to the story when tied with your faithful interpretations of the characters. I also love your balance of history, comedy and romance. Just enough of each to keep me interested for the entire story. I've been looking for a story about the entire shinsengumi for a while and this was much more than I ever hoped for. Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to your next chapter~
632 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »