Reviews for The Courtship of Lady Tokio
Tricksterkat209 chapter 30 . 9/30/2014
I won't lie, I cried a little. I'm pretty sure that will happen again in the chapters to come.

..I have loved everything about this story so far and boy, am I sad now. Gonna go cuddle the cat to get rid of those feelings.
Tricksterkat209 chapter 5 . 9/28/2014
I never noticed that tidbit about the Shinsengumi uniform. Then again I never knew anything about the colors because the RK manga was black white and I enver saw the anime. (Plus, the internet wasn't that much a thing back then so it's not like I could just google background info. :D)

Love the story so far and I'm looking forward to reading the rest!
A Midsummer chapter 35 . 9/13/2014
I love how after the end of Bakumatsu and Aizu's struggle for being labeled as Imperial Enemies, the dark angst become a thing of the past and are more of drama and humor laced together. Always loved this fanfic's humor. And the romance. Thank god for Taizou and Sagawa. Souji's sorely missed since he tends to brighten up the atmosphere. That cat collar had been my favorite and memorable scene. And the fundoshi and laundry running gag pffffffffft. Tsk, tsk, not another parallel to the Rurouni he despises so much.

Also, the history! I was bit worried how you were going to incorporate Saitou's first wife in this fic if you ever included her and I'm thankful that you made their divorce less painful than it could have been. Though to what I recall, she had been deceased but then it had been unclear so meh.

“Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us.”
—Squall Leonhart

Shinsengumi had always been tragic and it hurts. The Aizu people even more so because they've lost children and women fighting for their lives because of an unjust label thrust upon them. The teenagers in the Byakkotai, I had a morbid curiosity if they would be mentioned. Unlike the Sekihoutai, I've only recently discovered them.

And until now I've only associated Aizu with Megumi so seeing history in their perspective is a nice and refreshing change. Kenshin's cameo as that red haired youth provides a nice contrast, his sparse interactions with Tokio providing me with wry amusement. Also Saitou and his duel on the rooftop while an earthquake is a foot is hilarious, almost as funny as Nobuhiro Watsuki's reindition of their battle in the Kinema-ban. "Rain dance", pffft.
A Midsummer chapter 17 . 9/12/2014
That is what had crippled Japan in the first place, pride and prejudice ("Revere the Emperor, Expel the Barbarians!"). In thinking they are superior in the World Wars, they had been forced to kneel and accept their fate of being disarmed and vulnerable. Only managing a passive aggressive counter of loopholes to develop a 'civil servant' army (Self Defense Force).

*whistles appreciatively* Definitely Hijikata, that proud man. Must commend Tokio for making him actually stop and listen.
A Midsummer chapter 13 . 9/12/2014
I am not at all surprised to see Kenshin the way he is. He is intelligent, yes, but he is an idealistic fool. He is also stubborn to a fault. The very same baka deshi that had thrown his shishou's warnings to the wind when he offered his services to the Ishinshishi. There is no way in hell he would be privy for such information.

A confession in a time of war. My, my, they're quite romantic yet realistic.
A Midsummer chapter 11 . 9/11/2014
Ara, ara, so that's where Saitou-kun got that almost obsessive need for Aku Zoku Zan.
TOSoldtimer chapter 35 . 6/2/2014
Wonderful, wonderful historical novel! Chapter 23, Yamamami's seppuku had me in tears. Bushido, as you described it so well, must have been a very hard path. I don't know how the samurai could have found the courage to follow it through life and death. I loved all your historical, sociological and linguistic notes; they often sent me straight to the net for more info. I am mostly a Trekkie turned Kenshin fan. There wasn't much Kenshin here, but what there was, was perfect. Thanks for a wonderful ride
Dazed Blue chapter 33 . 5/31/2014
I cryy. Saitou is...ugh.
Dazed Blue chapter 32 . 5/31/2014
omg. Kenjirou went to yale? DAAAYYUMMMM. Too good. too good. that was like the highlight of this chapter for me that really set the happy tone but omg this ending.
THAT KILLED ME. I feel so bad for Tokio. I keep thinking that Saitou's fidelity isn't as concrete as how his loyalty can be. That's disappointing. My impression of Saitou is seriously becoming ambivalent.
I'm starting to think Tokio really should experience with other men just to stab Saitou in the back or something. Hehhh. But yeah, that'll probably make things even worse and even more awkwardddd. Ugh. These two.
Dazed Blue chapter 29 . 5/31/2014
All this history regarding Japan's politics and events makes me wonder why I didn't learn any of this in world history. And I took it this year, omggg. I'm learning so much and it's so hard to intake it all! I give you massive props. You're such a great fanfiction writer and an unintentional world history teacher. It makes me sad that Japan's strife was neglected in my world history book until Matthew Perry came into the picture and then was Japan really illustrated. Sighh.
Anyway, I sincerely enjoy every chapter I've read. Also, it brings me great enjoyment whenever Tokio mentions Aioi Tayu; I can imagine Saitou's discreet guilt. Haaaa.
Anywayanyway, this is the best work I've read so far for Saitou and Tokio with the heavy packed research you put into this, it'a amazing! I've realized just how historically accurate the shinsengumi is portrayed and it's a bit heart wrenching when imaging this all happening in the past. Either way, you have my utmost respect and regards for your amazingamazingandsowelldone efforts(:
Dazed Blue chapter 10 . 5/30/2014
This is beautiful; so beautiful.
xieloinfehrnurom chapter 35 . 5/25/2014
I am at a loss of words on how much I loooove this story! Thank you, thank you very much for this awesome piece. The amount of history in it, OMG it's amazing. All the feeeeellllssss! I love the relationship of the Shinsengumi boys. It was very fun, with all the teasing and bickering and all. It hurts a lot reading about how they ended. And of course, the SaitouxTokio love! 3 I've been a fan of this pairing for the longest time, I'm so glad I came across this work. I spent most of my waking hours in the past three days reading this. It's addicting, hehe.

Again, thank you very much! I hope you write more! :)
Aki no hikari chapter 35 . 3/8/2014
I just went through the entire fic in one sitting, you've pulled your readers through a wide range of emotions and I really enjoyed being able to experience this story. Thank you for your work. おつかれさまでした。
Sue C chapter 35 . 1/19/2014
I've finally finished reading this fic! _ What with staying up a bit later and sneaking in chapters between work. This should be enough to let you know how much I enjoyed this fic. So glad to get to the end and I'm happy with the way this story flowed. You are a very good writer and I thoroughly enjoyed weaving in the Japanese history bits. I gain a little more knowledge everyday.

I do miss Okita very much as well. I've read quite a few fics in which he has been "resurrected". But since he kinda died in yours for real, guess that isn't possible. Anyway, yours follows the historical elements so it makes more sense that way. I do hope you continue writing. And I've gone to peep at the dousjinshi based on your fic and found it absolutely brilliant! I do hope it will see through the end. Understand you are busy [real life takes a toll on one :(] but keep up the good spirits and I hope to read more from you!

Thank you for the lovely read!
HoshisamaValmor chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
Thanks to a piece you wrote about the use of the expression 'I love you' in Japanese, that was shared by amie689 and thanks to her redirecting, I found your fanfic. First of all, I'm impressed by the dedication you and your readers have built on this for over so many years, to the point of writing for 8 years, having a sequel in the making and even a doushinji. For all these reasons, I am overwhelmed as it is, even without reading it.
It's been a long time since I've been properly on this site, and my time and/or will to read hás become scarily little, but I am really impressed and interested in your work, and as such, I will definately read it starting today. It might also work as a way to help pass the time until the new live action movies are released! :)
Thanks for writing something as inspiring as this!
635 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »