Reviews for The Courtship of Lady Tokio
Niente de Nada chapter 10 . 12/25/2012
It's awkward and I feel more than a little ungracious to make my first review, after nine wonderful chapters, to correct a small error, but the ruling family of Satsuma were the Shimazu, and Saigou Takamori was a military commander of Satsuma, not the lord of the domain.

But other than that small detail, I am really enjoying this pleasant outing through Rurouni Kenshin backstory/Bakumatsu history. For me, the Shinsengumi and the Ishin Shishi are starting to feel like old friends and it's always fascinating to see how they're reimagined in various stories. (I'm afraid I can't stop thinking of Gintama Hijikata when he makes his appearance here.) I'm particularly interested in the close focus on Aizu here. I know how painful that will get, and I know it'll be heart-wrenching, but your Saitou and Tokio are fascinating characters to follow through the impending storm.
DesertRose3000 chapter 35 . 12/24/2012
Yata! That was a great Saitou/Tokio story! Tomorrow, I'll read your new one.
DesertRose3000 chapter 32 . 12/24/2012
I was wondering if the "other woman" would be mentioned. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
DesertRose3000 chapter 31 . 12/24/2012
So THAT'S where Saitou picked up that filthy habit from! I hope Tokio prohibited it in their home after they married.

Everything that happened to Aizu seems so depressing and unfair. And to think I was once a starch fan of the Ishin Shishi. I guess it really is hard to label one side black and other white.
DesertRose3000 chapter 22 . 12/23/2012
Great meeting between Tokio and Kenshin! How I wish Watsuki would've given her a cameo in the manga.
DesertRose3000 chapter 21 . 12/23/2012
It's rather unsettling to think that Okina and Tatsumi might have known each other. Yet given the fact that they both worked for the Bakufu in the same area, it's almost inevitable that they did. The Yaminobu may have been ninja, like the Oniwabanshuu, but they were a dirty bunch.
DesertRose3000 chapter 18 . 12/23/2012
OMG! I'm glad Saitou was just daydreaming! He would have been in more than just trouble had he actually done it! Then I remembered that swords aren't worn into the actual tearoom.

Ah! The tea ceremony. I've read about this, watched YouTube videos of it. It's poetry in motion when done properly. I would love to take part in one (as a guest) someday.
DesertRose3000 chapter 16 . 12/22/2012
I'm glad Tokio lived up to my expectations and got herself out. If there's one thing I can't stand in RK fanfiction, it's to see a strong woman reduced to a damsel in distress.
DesertRose3000 chapter 6 . 12/22/2012
Where exactly is the Mibu that the Mibu Wolves were of? Is it a nickname for Shinsengumi HQ, or is it another region?
DesertRose3000 chapter 4 . 12/22/2012
If Tokio's father wanted her to be safe, why did he allow her to go to Kyoto in the first place? A city of bloodshed is no place for a young woman.
DesertRose3000 chapter 3 . 12/22/2012
If Kondou and Hijikata were from peasant backgrounds, how did they get family names?
Alpecca Ankaa Black chapter 30 . 12/17/2012
this is an excellent chapter. I teared up at the end of the scene with Okita.
Alpecca Ankaa Black chapter 25 . 12/16/2012
This is a wonderful chapter; it had many moments that made me laugh. Great job.
dani-chan3 chapter 30 . 11/25/2012
You wrote Okita Souji and Saitou's last scene so beautifully... Thank you. I regret that I have come across this fic only now, and am looking forward to finishing it.
Dakoyone chapter 35 . 10/12/2012
Dearest author,

I forget when I had started reading your work (it's been quite a few years, I'm pretty sure), but I will never forget how excited I was to come across a story so rich in history, with characters that seem so real that you may as well assume that the real Saitou Hajime, the real Okita Souji, the real Kondou and Hijikata, that they were all such people as you've described.

Despite how much information there was and how some of the events felt overwhelming at times, your ability to integrate the people's culture and behavior while also drawing on individual human emotion and conflict is absolutely amazing and really tied the whole story together beautifully.

Absolutely wonderful work! I am quite keen on reading your sequel to this story.

Deepest respects,