Reviews for A Slice of Light
Serena Jones chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
LOVED Left Hand of Darkness! And this works. Seto and Ryou balance each other well. Both broken but in different ways. Reminds me of the way Shakespeare contrasts Lear and Gloucester. Has Mishiko commented on this one? SJ
ilovemanicures chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
Besides yourself, I few like I'm the only other person who can see the similarities between Bakura and Kaiba. Not so much Ryou Bakura but the spirit of the ring.

Zork wasn't a father figure, by any means but he was just as sick, twisted and manipulative as Gozuboro. If not more.

To say the Thief King had a younger sibling I cannot, but he did have an entire village that was savagely taken away from him in the blink of an eye.

I honestly feel that were you to put Kaiba in his place, he'd have done the exact same thing.

But it was interesting seeing him with Ryou instead.

It was also interesting reading Ryou' take on Seto' darkness considering the complete opposite reaction Yami had to it in déjà vu. But that's to be expected. When have those to every really agreed on anything?

Either way, I feel like you did a really good job on this. If only because it made me think and I story capable of that, to me will live on forever.

Oh, but you did make a mistake with Amane' name a few times. I recomend fixing that because the oneshot was to beautifully written to have that one tarnish.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry for spamming ;D
seffa chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
Wow, this was really good, I mean, really. It's nicely well written and it fits really well. You deserve some praise, it's just that good.
Bay chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
I get what sort of style you were going for, but here these little scenes in which nothing happens, infused with bizarre stilted dialogue where everything everyone says is 'A Statement', just didn't work. The characters don't feel like themselves at all, which makes drawing parallels between them seem pointless.
Tuulikki chapter 1 . 11/27/2007
Diving back into fandom today, after such a long time. (I've a feeling I've read this before, back when you posted this, but I'm not sure... at least I didn't review back then, for some weird reason... I did enjoy the fic, anyway.)

Those two have always fitted together quite well in my mind too, although I had never quite figured out why. But it's all quite clear in this fic. And I'd almost forgotten how well you get indside the skin of the characters... excellent introspections there. All in all, I liked the way you've written this, in those small snippets from different perspectives, all tied together. And I love that poem, it fits the ic perfectly.

... "Perfection is death." I've got one song stuck to my mind now. "Perfection, my messenger from Hell..."

(One random thought about the Ryou - albino thing: I guess he actually might be an albino. I've got to read a lot about albinos for a story I'm writing, and I found out that the usual picture people have of albinos is something of a myth: most albinos are blond with blue eyes, some have brown eyes, and none really red. Their eyes just can appear red in right lightning - like "normal" people's eyes can be red in a pic taken with flashlight.)
Jade Crimson Tears chapter 1 . 9/6/2007
The poem is perfect, in the sense that it’s almost meant to be in the story, because you wove it in so well, cementing the different analogies of light and darkness together. Much love to Kaiba and Ryou – the perfect blend of light and darkness, I’ve never seen it done before, and in such cleverness too. The way you wrote Kaiba especially… his imperfect darkness, how beautiful, because Kaiba is defined by light just as much as he is by darkness. You imagery of his dragons, his gaming empire… it makes me wonder if he himself could be reborn somehow, come soaring out of his self destructiveness, phoenix like. Oh Nenya, there is so much hope in this piece, not only Kaiba, but Ryou too, with the car crash line at both beginning and end, to see if the driver will stumble out of alive. They are drawn to each other’s light, rather than darkness, and that’s probably the most beautiful thing of all… They resonate hope together, if you could call it love.
FanFiction.net fan chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
Hopefully Seto does not turn Ryou away, but instead gives him a home straight away.

*smiles* Great story, and I loved the poem too.
Skippys Cat chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
I haven't seen the final episodes yet and I've been resisting reading the final manga, but I knew what was coming. It's hard not to when you are a die-hard YGO fan amongst others. Anyway that means that I knew this was a bit of spoiler and read anyway because I've always thought Kaiba and Ryou would fit. Not in the way that Kaiba and Yami had that bond of champions and fighters and pride and past. But in their silences, in being on the fringes of the group no matter how close they seemed or didn't to the others. I think Kaiba would accept Ryou the way he does Yugi despite his 'softness' because there is intelligence there and an unobtrusiveness that Seto would appreciate. And I can see Ryou looking for a replacement for Bakura for a bit no matter how much he might have disliked his Yami. You see it in abuse cases every day, but Ryou choosing Kaiba would be a much better deal than what he'd just lost or left behind.
Nara Merald chapter 1 . 4/7/2006
Very vague but fantastically interesting. Nice how you portrayed Ryou also. Otogi and Seto would be an awesome pairing *hint hint* :P
expletive deleted chapter 1 . 1/11/2006
Ya gotta love things that take the actual characters for a basis in the story, and not the romance. It's the best way to make the "romance" fit, and here it seems to fit really well. The fic made the part of me that loves to see two of my favourite characters being portrayed sympathetically and with thought very, very happy.
Pkmnrocksmysocks chapter 1 . 10/26/2005
Kaiba and Bakura. Thats an angst fest isn’t it? and if they ever did acknowledge each other enough to have a conversation, this is what it might turn out like.

"He was like a speed bump in my life.

That was Mokuba's name for him, not mine." this line made me chuckle.

"the three things at the core of his heart – Mokuba, his dragons and Kaiba Corporation – were all made of light." wow, never thought of that before.

I also like how you leave so much up to the reader’s imagination. Drives me crazy, but i like it!
Ankh-Ascendant chapter 1 . 6/6/2005
Yay, another review from me! I've never read this pairing before, though I've heard itmentioned and always thought it was a little unlikely, yet oddly perfect. I just never read or write it because I like uke Seto, and that seems a wee bit impossible with these two... I do like it, though. And that poem was absolutely perfect, and I applaud you for thinking of it.
Nachzes Black-Rider chapter 1 . 5/7/2005
Nachzes: -makes a rattling sound near the back of her throat- -nuzzles the computer-

Lieh: ...She likes the fic (she actually does love this pairing), and she's trying to get influence to write a very...difficult...lemon for HPatSI. -nods- But you really didn't need to know that... -sighs and trails off-

Nachzes: -makes a squirrel sound-
Katie Torango chapter 1 . 12/16/2004
I read this a few different times and I liked it better each time. You do such a lovely job with language and imagery. I liked the view of a circle "defined as much by its perimeter as by its core." And Mokuba "forming a radius." I have often seen that idea in the show. For example, when they are on the airship; and the gang is together framed in one window. Kaiba is nearby, but framed in another window.
Yume no Zencho chapter 1 . 11/24/2004
I'm not quite sure what it is you do exactly but your dialog has this unique quality too it. Poetic, but it's something else. Lol. If I had your writting style I'd finally get my fics back up ;