Reviews for Breath Of Fire: War Of The Dragons
darrelodin chapter 22 . 6/12/2014
Another fun read! I can see what you mean about improving though, but this was a nice nostalgic ride. Especially like the little references here and there.

And I am so glad you've got a system for scene breaks now. Because geez. Anyway, on to the sequel!
Aiedail chapter 22 . 11/18/2012
Hm...maybe it's because this is my first exposure to the BoF franchise, but I get the distinct impression that this fic is not like your others. Specifically, I feel like the quality of your writing left a lot to be desired at first - characters were one-dimensional and not very believable, boss fights were too short and not very exciting, and emotional scenes didn't have the weight that they should've had - though it was up to your usual standard by the end. Speaking of which, I found myself disapproving of your self-insertion in the author's note this time, though I haven't the slightest idea why.

However, one specific problem that didn't go away was that the party always just /happens/ to come across someone who has both the skill and the inclination to join them; my suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch anywhere near that far. The same goes for the tasks that sidetrack the heroes that were obviously put into the game as padding - fetch quests being the most egregious examples. I understand that these are Acceptable Breaks From Reality in old-school JRPG's, but I think you should have put more effort into making them work in this adaptation.

There were less typos in this one - though I was particularly annoyed by your insistence that "definitely" be spelled with an "A." Dozens of times.

You use the phrase "the mass times acceleration department," too often. Maybe keep it to once per fic from now on, eh?

From now on, there be very significant SPOILERS

During Silver's introduction, when she said "I know Ryu" and it was revealed that she was female, my stomach immediately fell into the basement: I discerned her identity on the spot. Having Ryu *never* realize it was infuriating! If those reactions were what you were going for...whoo man, mission accomplished! On a related note, since when is being shown a vision of the future enough to turn absolutely anyone into the most die-hard and extremist of fatalists? Ryu didn't just bow down and willingly become a chess piece for the gods; even with Jade's vision, why should it have been any different for the Tiamat Unit? Especially Sara - ESPECIALLY especially Sara while fighting her own brother, AND knowing Cerl's story to boot?! Her refusal to Heel Face Turn to the bitter end is utterly unbelievable, almost to the point where it comes off as a parody in bad taste. Especially (that word needs better synonyms!) given that she clearly /wants/ to! And in case you weren't paying enough attention, I'm not just mad that there wasn't a Disney ending; on the contrary, it seems to me that either you or the game's writers deliberately killed her off for the sole purpose of making the ending more UN-Disneylike, without caring that it didn't make any sense in context. If it was you (or if it made more sense in the game), then shame on you.

That's pretty much it; I guess I didn't like all the theological themes either, but that's not your fault. Overall, a job adequately well done, and I'm still going to at least give your sequel a shot.
Ryu-Zero-Rei chapter 22 . 5/28/2010
For short: I loved it! I recomend it!

longer version:

I was surprised how you pictured Ryu, in a way I think it was most fitting, at least when you see the official Artwork of him.

Cheeky and a little immature, but strong willed and a good boy at heart-

I think that's worth a round of applause, simply because of Ryu no-talker in the Game.

For the other Characters, they seemed nice in character and the dialouge nicely extended from the original.

It was like filling up the gaps which stopped a perfect flowing storytelling (what I think was a quite a big part, but also one of the charms, of old RPGs)

Especially the Timat Unit was much more lively in this way and the addition of Uncle Specs made me chuckle, nice work.

BUT the major part I really admired and appreciated was the depth of the relationship of Nina and Ryu!

Always such hidden cliffys in the Game, it's almost frustrating-

For what else do we read FFs, but for the pairs? Okay mostly, but not exclusively.

Maybe at some points it seemed rushed with the scenes, but when I compare it with the actual Game, it was done nicely. Any way other and it might have overloaded the Story unnecessarily.

This novelization is very close to a novelization, the distance it has from a 'perfect' made it just better, in my Opinion.

Much to less Character depths and interactions otherwise.

I think, you definately don't have to know Bof I to read this FF, it was actually more fun reading this than playing the Game.

But that might be due that I played BoF I only recently and that Game is reaaaaly Old school but still worth it.

When I think about it, It has been ... hmm you can say years, since I logged in to actually review a FF.

For me a sign just how good your novelization was in my Opinion!

So for every one, I recomend this beautiful FF, even if you never actually played BoF I!

Ryu Zero Rei Baura Alapa Diil no Zerodyme Cupura Pa Azarak Vile Lua Darog
TheMoonclaw chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
I know you probably won't ever see this review, but I had to leave one anyway.

I read this story some months ago but didn't have a account at the time to post a review, so I'm doing so now.

This fanfiction is quite possibly the BEST fanfiction for ANYTHING I have ever read.

You managed to get every detail from the game and input new things as well in a seemless story.

Besides, the sarcastic bit of it made me happy since I usualy play games and make sarcastic comments...

So, great great story and thank you for sharing it!
Looneygamemaster chapter 22 . 9/20/2009
Some may feel differently, but I feel that this is, thus far, the best story you've ever written.

I love Breath of Fire, but I can see now how flat the plot is, and how boring and dull the characters are (with the exception of Gobi and Deis), which I suspect is at least partially due to the poor, soul-sucking translation. But that seems no barrier to you.

Each of the characters are written very well-some not as good as others, but with eight main heroes, the fact that you did this well with them is fantastic. I like Ryu's development in particular, and there are several scenes with him that are brilliant, and show how he's only human, especially near the end. And his romance with Nina was brilliant as well-very good of you to add plot points from the second game.

But your best characters are easily the Tiamat Unit. I have to agree that you did slightly overdo it, but I also thought the concept was awesome the first time I played the game. Whereas only Cerl had any sort of character development in the game, here you make them each distinct people, with their own tragedies, that have turned them into the monsters they are now. And the way you wrote Zog and Jade, that they knew they would die, was brilliant too-adding a twist that wasn't in the game. It is very interesting that you wrote Myria as the only truly evil major villain, that if not for her, life would have turned out better for Zog and the Tiamat Unit.

Fighting scenes are much better too. And though your humor isn't 100 % successful, I loved any scenes with "Uncle Specs."

Anyway, this is my favorite of your stories. Keep up the good work.
Silver Warrior chapter 22 . 1/20/2008
my my my, what a story! Love the Breath of Fire series, though I've never completed ANY of the games. gotten all the way to the very end of IV, and gotten mopst of the way (that last desert trip) in I, and gotten pretty danged far in the first (don't even KNOW where I was in II), but I do enjoy the series. Seriously, a real fun story. The characterizations were awesome. Some spoilers, though I had a gut feeling on Sara the first time it mentioned the sixth place in the Tiamat Unit was in the process of being filled. Real pity they all died, except for Cerl who was basically reborn. That was cool. The old 'Uncle Specs' was just kookyu. A real nutjob. Reminded me of Fizban and Zifnab from some of the dragonlance books and the Death Gate Cycle.
mOOnCanDY chapter 1 . 6/17/2007
It is one of the most beautiful story! I mean the story about the Tiamat Unit brought tears to my eyes.*sniffles* I hope you would write a BoF2 novelization. I need someone to carry on the beautiful story of yours with the same story!

Also I loved your CT novelization too!-
Fallen Angel Alice chapter 22 . 5/26/2007
Oh. My. God. I can't believe it. I'm a huge fan of both your Breath of Fire novel and your Chrono Trigger novel...only I just realized five minutes ago that they were written by the same person. Your a very good writer, and I love the way you manage to add little details into your stories that I swear could probably have happened in the games themselves if the developers had had a sense of humor. I look forward to reading more of your novelizations, and I hope their as good as these two were.

(PS: Maybe it's possible that you could do a Breath of Fire II novel someday...? I mean, there are so many second rate novels of this game out there, but if you did one, I bet it would be first class!)
Dracis Tran chapter 3 . 6/13/2006
I think I reviewed before, but I'd like to mention that I do love your novelizations.

But there seems to be, in this chapter and the previous one, a little bit of confusion between Camlon and Nanai. I think if you just read it through carefully, you'll see what I mean.
Forceuser3 the Jedi Master chapter 21 . 1/31/2006
i see you set the stage for BOF 2 nice, good story hope to see a complete story of BOF 4 and 5 soon ( 5 is less likely because its random ever time you play)
JaysonFour chapter 22 . 7/11/2005
You made me use an entire printer ink cart, you know that? The story is amazing. No way around it, you know how to WRITE!
Lan Of Dusis chapter 22 . 7/7/2005
Wow, this is a really impressive story...enjoyed it, read it in one sitting..started a bit late, its 6 AM as I write thing that nags me...A few times things that Spek said reminded me of a certain conversation from David Edding's Redemption of Althalus..coincidence or have you read the book? Anyways, loved this story..a well-written novelization that actually gets finished it pretty rare, and I fully enjoyed this.
Renuki chapter 22 . 6/23/2005
Yay! Ryu and Nina got together! _

It will be interesting to see if ya ever do BOF 2.

I agree with you about the scene breaks... I have to use Scene Change Bold to show when scene change. _

20XX? Sweet! *Hope for Mega Man 5* _
GG Crono chapter 22 . 6/21/2005
And so it ends. I'm tired, so I'll keep it short. GREAT job, man. :)

And I know your woes with scene breaks. I've been using just rows of hyphens, myself.
The-Griffin chapter 22 . 6/21/2005
Aw, another Mega Man fic? ;_;

Regardless, though, this story is excellent, as are all of your novelizations. It nearly brought me to tears a few times near the end (a difficult feat to be proud of, although actually BRINGING me to tears is a sign of a truly great story in my book, since I can count the number of times it happens each year on my hands). Keep it up.