Reviews for This Present Darkness
Ynnealay chapter 61 . 8/17/2015
I wish I could remember every thought I had while reading this beautiful masterpiece... I told myself I would and yet here I am at a loss for words.
Gods, you did amazing on this... If I could write songs I would sing them in praise of this. I liked how you utilized the length of the fic, it was like it was split into three sections, all of them separate and unique, yet with their own atmospheres and villains... Tension, then heartbreak, so many other things too... joy and love. You wove so many emotions, so diverse and so seamlessly. Honestly there were nights I spent incoherently babbling about the feelz this fic gave me.
Your writing style was magnificent, it all sounded so graceful and middle-earth like. The dialogue was one if my favourite things somehow you managed to convey modern implications through the different uses of various people calling Aragorn "my lord". Also, I am sure this is why Tolkien gave Aragorn so many names... if he did not, then your use of them was brilliant, each if his names— Aragorn, Elessar, Estel— conveying a different feeling entirely.
The way you characterized everybody was flawless! Really, I cannot stress this enough, Legolas was undoubtedly my favourite, how you captured his mirth and also his sorrow but also his harsh warrior determination! Ugh! I LOVE it! From the first moment you wrote Gimli and Legolas, as well as the bickering, fond relationship that came with them I fell in love... and well, I am obsessed with your versions of everybody you wrote, seriously, everybody. But I can't rave about every character, so I'll just leave it as I loved the most: (in a vaguely correct order) Legolas, Arwen, Aragorn, Gimil, literally everybody.
That scene in Legolas' mind was so intense and so well written... you deserve a medal. No. Words.
Ah, and the repetition you used. The dialogue of the first chapter mirrored happily in the last was genius, the words Legolas used before killing Dragaer were also brilliant! I got goosebumps.
When Legolas was kneeling before Aragorn offering himself, broken, I actually cried (I just thought that is a positive, reflecting your ability as a writer).
Last, rather trivial thing, I loved Eomer's reaction to Aragorn being back to himself for the first time. I was delighted at how straight-forward Eomer was, just saying with no doubt that Aragorn was fine, and yeah go ahead, swear fealty to him again. That's another thing, I liked, Eomer and his directness.
Just going back to characters again, they were all different and had their own personalities and views, they came alive on the screen and gods I envy your ability to do that.
Okay. All in all, I loved this and will hopefully remember this until the day I die. Okay, well maybe not, but I'll remember this for a long time. Thank you for this story!
Nako13yeh chapter 61 . 7/26/2015
I've reread this story so many times and I just can't stop. It's so dynamic and so heartbreaking. I feel as if I haven't read enough angst in it. It was so well written, that it felt so real, as if it had really happened or it could truly happen. And "you" learn a lot by reading... which wow.. i have to say, I got to understand the sea-longing better and how the sundering works... omg... I've read this so many times, i dunno if I reviewed yet or something. I can't honestly remember, but going back to your story every once in a while, is a delight and a sort of a reality check in the world as well. That life is somewhat cruel, yet there are certain rewards we get and blessing we receive... how pain works, how betrayal and friendship work... it's all in your story. And the depictions of Aragorn and Legolas' relationship was spot on. Same for Gimli and Thranduil... and Arwen... oh dear, that was lovely to read. How emotions can set everyone off... I feel like I can't breathe when I read your story, it's so intoxicating.

Same goes for your other stories that I've read... Thank you for the wonderful work~~ It has been a good ride from start to finish and I love it.
silverscribbles chapter 61 . 7/18/2015
Wow! I managed to read the entirety of this story in one night. You're amazing! Your build-ups all make sense and the characters, actions, and responses are all incredibly believable. I love the way you portray your characters (especially Gimli - you have a real gift with Gimli) and the way the story turned out.

You have a great talent with words, and I say that from the perspective of an English major! I can actually see how things build up, the symbolism, and the portrayal of the various characters are great. Legolas is an all-time favourite character of mine and you've managed to portray him exceedingly well. Admittedly, this is not a story I'll probably re-read (I like the more light-hearted, funny stories), but I am glad that I got to it.

Thank you! And out of curiosity, is there a link for your story? I'd like to buy it, but I can't seem to find it
Guest chapter 61 . 3/10/2015
i normally never review on stories but this was amazing...a story so long i would probably only read once but i have read it at least three times and everytime i read it, i find so many new layers. it was funny, sweet, sad and horrific- all other legolas gets bashed/tortured/raped fics, i can read without cringing but the way you wrote this, i was horrified at simply the smallest of things. thranduil was amazing (as always) and gimli was hilarious, and you made me hate aragorn and then slowly gain back my respect and love for him (but now whenever i watch or read lotr, there's a small part of me that thinks of your aragorn, and i starting hating him on principle). legolas was amazing in this and i loved how you portrayed him as so strong, yet broken! thank you so much and please continue writing! also, i loved how this connected with your other story with saruman, which was amazing!
Ninfea di Luna chapter 1 . 1/3/2015
Hello !

First, I'm sorry for my poor english, I'm french. I'm fluent to read, but I can't write without mistakes ! I hope you'll understand me !

I review this first chapter, but I want to speak about the whole stories.

I really need to say thank you for your awesome story. I really like how you speack about the friendship of Legolas and Gimli, and Legolas and Aragorn.

I like that you take the time to install the story. We discover slowly your universe, and you put in place all the elements. So we really appreciate the story !

Of course, I like our tormenting Legolas. I read the story twice, one time after the first one. You really have the talent to write !

Please, write another fic like this one soon !

Than kyou so much to have give us this story !
Obsidianglasses chapter 61 . 9/26/2014
This is the most heartbreaking fic I have ever read. You really have a thing for making people understand the pain a character is in. I think I still have faint moon shaped marks in my skin..

I could write pages full of praise, but I don't think I have the skill to do it in English. So instead I say; well done! You made ME feel real, which is quite a hard thing to do. I thought I would be having a hard time reading the rape scenes, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected.

Oh, and your Thranduil is awesome.

Just wondering, did you publish your book? I can't find any info on it.
Guest chapter 2 . 1/20/2014
I think that it is the best chapter well of what I've read it is a very wonderful story so far thank you for doing this book
Namei chapter 61 . 12/26/2013
Thank you. Just thank you.
Arya Daeriel chapter 61 . 12/14/2013
Okay. I've been reading this fic for far too many hours (do you have any idea how many pages this would be if it were actually a book?) and I just... wow.

It has been a very, very long time since I read a fic that was an intense and, quite frankly, downright disturbing. I stand back and look at it in awe because I have literally seen nothing like it in my years of perusing fanfiction.
lucydod chapter 45 . 12/1/2013
Thranduil is my hero. Justice, finally, is served. This story is AMAZING! So much emotional turmoil, I can't stop reading!
MidnightxRain chapter 1 . 10/24/2013
I remember this story after watching the hobbit the other day, and several other lord of the rings stories. I remember their being some Legolas/Aragorn m/m scenes am I right? Not usually my sort of thing but I remember the writing being so amazing in this story, and I not sure if I ever finished it! I was under a different name when I started reading this story, and this fanfic account is to go with my youtube channel, incase I make any fanfiction trailers! I'm glad I found this story again to complete it
ArwenJaneLilyLyra chapter 61 . 8/26/2013
I'm not sure where to start with this review, as there are lots of things I want to say. I'll try my best to be concise.

"Hurray for an Arwen of substance!" is perhaps the most pressing point right now. One improvement that P.J. made with his films was to make Arwen into a real character - more than the elevated Elven beauty of Tolkien's original creation. You have taken this one step further. This is NOT a perfect Arwen. She makes mistakes - she perhaps takes Legolas for granted, particularly his devotion to Aragorn, then regrets it when she realises the depth of the love between her husband and her friend. Her verbal attack on Legolas after he was healed by Aragorn rang very true the emotions I would expect of her - the jealousy, the panic, the guilt, the frustration. Even at the peaks of her anger, I felt as if she didn't truly mean what she was saying (well, not with her whole heart at least) but simply felt trapped and was lashing out in desperation. I was also very pleased to read of Gondor's devotion to their Queen as she assumed a more active role as a monarch. This is Arwen as you have written her in her element, a just and fair ruler that evokes admiration and respect.
And while we're on the subject of female characters: your Eowyn never failed to bring a smile to my face. You stayed very true to her fiery spirit, and it worked well in her relationship with Faramir - "lacha nîn", how apt! I think it would be very easy to make light of their relationship, and even perhaps their individual characters. Here both were complex and interesting. In particular we saw much of Faramir's inherent strength AND weakness, and as he is one of my favourite characters I am very grateful for that.

I think what makes this story stand out is the subtle, sensitive respect you gave the topics at hand. Avoiding the outright graphic descriptions of the sexual violence in particular is not something that many writers seem capable of, but you took what had the potential to be an exaggerated piece of horror (not that I'm accusing YOU of having that potential, of course) and made it into something, dare I say, beautiful. This approach to Aragorn and Legolas' relationship, the uncertainty of Aragorn's battle between love and desire for the Elf, is not something I've considered before (I generally avoid any stories of such implications like the plague, but maybe I shouldn't) and this story has really opened my eyes. You seem to have put a lot of effort into defining this relationship of theirs, the intricacies of a connection (I'll avoid the word bond, to save confusion) between a Man and an Elf. It's maybe easy sometimes to forget that they are of different races and mindsets, and you did an admirable job of addressing this. (And slightly irrelevantly but before I forget, the gentle humour between Legolas and Gimli was very enjoyable!)
I loved your exploration of Aragorn's dark side, as I don't think it's something I'd be brave enough to attempt. Even at his worst you didn't go too far from the realms of his original character. He was recognisable - scarily so, in fact, and that's what made the fear you injected into your readers (well, this reader at least) so very real. Speaking of this fear, his attempted rape of Legolas was very well written - my my, that was a difficult sentence to write! I was so uncomfortable all the way through; if it wasn't so compelling I would possibly have had to stop reading it. That's surely the sign of excellent writing.
But it's not just Aragorn's dark side, of course. I think what I want to congratulate you most for was the darkness that was in turn displayed in Legolas. Attacking Aragorn, lashing out, the actions so clearly driven by fear and internalised anger that it was heartbreaking to read. That would have been my downfall in a story like this - I would have been tempted to sanctify the victimised Legolas. Here you didn't, there was no sheltering ANY of the characters, and your story profited by it. The range of emotions Legolas displays in this story is quite dizzying, but they were believable and very moving. His relationship with his father and brothers was particularly interesting to read, and I liked your Thranduil very much. He balanced "Father" and "King" well - I think the dialogue between him and Aragorn was some of the best in the entire story.

I also want to highlight what a wonderful villain you had for this story. I find it impossible to be completely invested in the "All Evil Enemy" character. As terrible and cruel as Dragaer was, I could connect with the root of his evils - I could understand him beyond "I Want World Domination". It also made it even more difficult to read his scenes in the story - knowing this was a "real man", not some embodiment of evil.
The consequences of this man's actions were dealt with well, too. The gradual diminishing of Legolas as the threads tying him to Middle Earth and to life were cut was very frustrating to read. I felt as if I was really on this journey with those around him, wanting to help him but unable to do so.

There's really too much left to say. I'm a terrible rambler once I get into a story. Safe to say this story was a delight to read (if painful at times) and I feel privileged to have read it. Thank you very, very much.

All the best, and I wish you every success in your future writing - particularly The Gloaming, which sounds very interesting.

- ArwenJaneLilyLyra
Mari83 chapter 61 . 8/21/2013
Amazing, epic story, down to every little detail, the characters, the plot, everything. I basically lived in this story for the past week. Thanks for all the work you put into it!

Off to check your other stories that look like more days of reading obsession:-)
GUest chapter 61 . 6/20/2013
Thank you.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so incredibly much! Thank you for this intense journey - I do not remember the last time that any piece of written work moved me that much.
Thank you.
ForeverRainingFire chapter 61 . 5/18/2013
Wow! This is such a good story! I really loved the way you wrote the characters and the imagery you used was fantastic! I really felt like I was there with the characters. You did a fantastic job with the emotional aspects of this story. So, so good! Such a sad and horrible topic, but you dealt with it admirably. I also really liked the ending. Great job!
1,973 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »