Reviews for On Some Fair Isle
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/16/2006
I need to review this again - it strikes me that "the world still holds much magic" doesn't quite fit a world where the word is more than a poetic metaphor.

That's all, I think. It really is beautiful writing, though.
Unsung Heroine chapter 1 . 3/15/2005
"I want to be called magic in his voice."

Yes, I'd definitely like that, too.

Right now, I am doing something I should have done long ago. I should already have reviewed this story (just as you did with mine), I should have already put it on my favorites list, for I've been knowing it for some time (shame on me ). It's so beautiful, beautifully sad (as I like it) and the poem is also, umm, well: beautiful... the end made me cry. I do not know what else to say... I have always a lack of words when I like something really much.
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 2/21/2005
wow... my lady, my hat goes off to you.

I like the way your sentences are so brief and short; it's very appropriate for someone's thoughts. Our thoughts are often stringed together and not fully formed, and you bring forth that notion very well. Something I should do more often in my vignettes.

"His eyes are echoes of long-ago fire." I could just see him. A great job you did; paralleling her youth and her prime, and then her fall. She fell with him; so poignant. "In death his eyes are deep as the sea, and no more. It is right that we should fall together. Yes, I think, it is right. Together we shall take the last straight road. Together we shall dance as the wind in the stars." The poem is a great edition.

RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
I love the repetition of "wishes never come true." And one of the things that makes this really powerful is that you don't use the characters' names much, so when you do, it's really striking. It's an interesting pairing idea, and the way you handle it is very believable. Kudos to you for writing shafted characters!
Otto's Goat chapter 1 . 12/7/2004
I know I reviewed this, I KNOW... eh, short-term memory loss seems to plague my sort...

I usually pick a line (or two or three) to gush over; I can't do that here. But I really want to just highlight every other line; no, every line, and tell you what I think.

This is... this is so RIGHT. It just fits and flows. I don't know what else to say. Which is probably a good thing because you, no doubt, must be scratching your head by now. Well, I'm off to your other fics.
Eruannath chapter 1 . 9/19/2004
Ahh! Vana... you know I love your writings. And this is no exception. At first I had problems identifying the characters *shame*. I think my mind has buried too deep some of the Silmarillion. But it is way too original. And some of the phrases you use. And the words. I like it. I like it very very much. You have the ability of making the reader fall into the narration. You keep the interest ;) Awesome work! :)
Noldo chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
Caranthir/Nimloth...there's something I've never seen before.

But you've treated it very well - it's not overdone, or underdone. Just perfect.
The Bookbinder's Daughter chapter 1 . 9/17/2004
Oh, gorgeous. Just gorgeous. There are so many perfect lines in here, perfect both in the story and out of it; lines like little drops of dream that you slip underneath and reluctantly have to surface from. "I want to be called magic in his voice." "No, I say; the wind dances with the trees and here you are with me."

I love your use of present tense, too. And I am overjoyed that you actually took me up on Caranthir/Nimloth. I've been inspired to finally buckle down and finish that blasted Goldberry/Glorfindel piece...

So, to sum up, I love this story to death and am grateful that you wrote (more) Caranthir-fic. Caranthir needs more fiction. *plants Society for Fanon Equality Amongst Feanorians banner firmly in the ground and adds this to Favorites List*

Give your Elwing-muse my love.

(One question - I assume you're going with the 'Shibboleth' version of the Ship-burning at Losgard?)
ladyevendim chapter 1 . 9/17/2004
This story is absolutely beautiful. I think I'm crying at the end, for the sheer wonderful exquisiteness of it...

The poem you incorporated fits the story perfectly...or perhaps the story fits the poem. I don't know, but each complements the other in a way that very few things do.

Your words are very simple, in first person, yet much feeling is conveyed such graceful sentences. I admire and congratulate your skill. The pairing of Nimloth and Caranthir is one I haven't seen yet, but as unlikely as it may seem in the Silm, you make it sound as natural as Tolkien may have written it himself. No praise can go higher than that, I suppose.