Reviews for Oblivious
yay chapter 14 . 6/16/2012
Wow, now it's really exciting.
yay chapter 12 . 6/16/2012
So was Kane related to the sister-killer?
yay chapter 8 . 6/16/2012
"The students of course!" Poppy regarded him with a sudden glint in her eye. "I thought you might have noticed them around by now, young, shorter than average, more trouble than they're worth?"

"Oh," Remus smiled with mock thoughtfulness. "I wondered about all those adolescents that keep cropping up in my classroom."

I love the sarcasm.
yay chapter 5 . 6/16/2012
"Well, Mr Malfoy," he said, his voice soft but carrying decisively across the now silent room. "If you wanted to tell me that your mother stole your underpants and the weasels are coming, you could have just done it in English."' Best. Comeback. Ever.
Kitten Kisses chapter 43 . 2/15/2012
Copy/pasting from the PM I sent on LJ, now that FFN is back up and running and letting me log in!

I actually clicked upon Imperius first. I do love me some action/adventure/drama stories, and it also looked like it heavily featured Tonks, and I adore her as well as Remus (I also love the pairing) so I thought, oh hey, a perfect last 'fic to read the weekend before I begin a new job and find I have absolutely no free time. Then I saw the note that it was a sequel but decided to see how "sequel-y" it was, i.e., was it possible to read it as a stand-alone, was there just a handful of extra knowledge one might need to know first, did the author mention any specific thoughts on the connection, and so on. So I read about reading the prequel, and went back to see what Oblivious was all about. I thought, ho-hum, another "Remus's bite" 'fics, but this one doesn't follow canon, I guess I could just read Chapter 6 and the epilogue (like your note said in the first chapter of Imperius) and go read the sequel.

But Chapter Six was actually rather good, and the epilogue didn't make an ounce of sense, because I couldn't tell who Rey was right off, or what Remus was talking about when he said he was scared- et cetera.

So I went back to Chapter One against my better judgment. And I don't mean that in a negative way toward you, of course; I just mean that 150k words or so is a lot of 'fic to read, and usually I don't read 'fics so long, or, I daresay, 'fics so long that don't have any romance in them at all. (I admit it, I'm a shipper.)

But having finished the 'fic this afternoon (after beginning last night, pausing to watch a movie for several hours and to attend church this morning), I have to say it was definitely worth the read.

I usually don't mind a small veering away from canon, and with a lot of 'fics, veering from canon was really rather expected because of the time when they were written. To be honest, I liked your account of what happened better than the canon, especially in that it went into full detail and you didn't really stop to pussyfoot around things like Remus's romantic past (thank you for that). Not that I'm against reading about his past—I did read a good story or two that addressed it!—but as you said in an author note, it's been hashed and rehashed so many times that focusing too heavily on it detracts from a story more than anything. Or at least, that's my opinion.

I still like to know and see the differing thoughts on what Remus's past might have been like (romantically or otherwise), though, and your story did fill in most of the blanks there, and it definitely filled in all of the important blanks, re: his bite, how he got it, et cetera and so on.

The bit about "ferals" was rather interesting, and I'm assuming that were we in the canon universe, Greyback would fall under that category? (Or close to it?) At any rate, I have to admit that I liked Kane a bit more than Greyback, anyway; at least he had some kind of a purpose in the story other than to be the resident Asshole Werewolf, which is something I don't like about Greyback. There has to be more to a character than that, and if they were going to introduce Greyback only to make him one-dimensional, they might as well have mentioned more about his pack (and the mission Remus had to go on), to at least…put something more there than, well, nothing at all.

Cough. Anyway, Kane was rather interesting. He was an irredeemable character, but not one-dimensional at all, which I liked. I could gather up a bit of sympathy for the fellow at one point or another, but like so many other people in the world, he made a conscious choice to be a douche, and, well, that's too bad, but once he went so far he never could go back. (And some of the things he did! Horrible!)

I realize you might be a little iffy on the story since it has been a handful of years since you've written it, but I assure you I found very little to criticize the entire time I was reading it. (And what I did find were just typos, anyway.)

You kept a rather tight focus on Remus, and you only kept to what was more…important about him, i.e., you did mention a passing incident in a bathroom, but you didn't go into vivid details. And while I'm praising your knickers off, I might as well say that I was pleased that the entire story wasn't some kind of sob-story, "Oh poor pathetic Remus", et cetera and so on. In fact, if I may be so bold as to say this, I think your characterization of Remus was spot on. A lot of things that happened in this story would make his actions in the later books make absolute sense.

I feel as if despite writing for the fandom, you weren't letting yourself be influenced by the fanon itself, the "Remus has better smell because he's a werewolf!"/"Remus the sex god!"/"Remus the over-sarcastic prankster!" kinds of things that seem to spread because one author started it and everyone else followed blindly without looking at his canon personality.

Not saying he can't have better smell, be good in bed, or be a sarcastic prankster, but those would only be small facets of his character, and in a story like the one you wrote, hardly worth exploring completely.

Which is probably why I liked your story so much. To be sure, I was a bit blown away by it. Your Remus is a bit different than the one I have in my head, but he is very close to the image I have, so that's something in itself. You did an excellent job balancing his canon self around hints of how he might act away from Harry Potter's P.O.V., for example, we know he's a strong wizard, but he seems to look in ill health and the way you wrote him before he passed out while teaching was great—he wasn't being a weakling, or anything. In fact, he was very Remus-y in that he was trying very hard to keep going despite it being…err…not his best idea. (Really Remus, you should have sat down or something.)

And then, later, against Kane in Hogsmeade, he's a fighter, but he's not over-confident. He feels fear, and he tries to push through it. He tries to protect people he cares about, and even people he doesn't—like other children, strangers, even people who might, for all he knows, despise him.

(I did like that clumsy Tonks was the one whose first-aid spell might have saved him, there. A lot of fandom forgets that she is a very capable Auror, and that she keeps a cool head under pressure, and I think giving her a bit of understated glory was nice.)

Speaking of, the one thing I did think Remus was going to apologize for that he didn't, was his stint in The Howling where Tonks might have easily lost her job because of him. I forget now who pointed it out—I'm pretty sure it was Dumbledore—but I did think that he might mention it to Tonks later, either by way of an apology for her risking her job, or with a "thank you" for risking it at all, because chances are she'd brush any apology away, anyway.

But while I'm talking about glory, I loved the bit about the chandelier with Neville, and you did well with action/adventure-type scenes, especially Remus's transformed fight with Kane. I'm not a teacher, but I always wanted to be, and even I was proud of the kids for remembering the lessons Remus taught them, for reacting so quickly, and so on.

The only chapters I didn't much care for were the flashback chapters from Rey's point of view. They were well-written, definitely, but I think my issue with them stemmed with the fact that they were long and not about Remus. However, I did like the content in them, so I can't complain at all, and it was really nice to get a glimpse of what things were like before and after, and of Rey's struggle (with Diana). The most poignant part for me was after the flashback (I think this is where that scene was) where Rey is explaining to Remus about what it was like to lock him in the cellar, naked, three years old, and listen to him screaming down there alone and afraid. I mean, I'm also not a parent, but that hit me really hard. I can't imagine leaving my baby alone to face something so scary alone, but they didn't really have a choice, now did they?

Overall, I found Rey and Diana to be believable characters, perfect for Remus's parental units, really, because it'd be easy to see where he gets various facets of his personality.

When I mentioned that I liked that the story wasn't a giant sob-story, I also meant to say that I like that there were lighthearted moments, too—like Tonks showing up morphed as Snape, her tripping over things, the werewolf lesson in class, and so on. He didn't spend the entire story moping about how sad his life was, or about Sirius, or about Tonks being in St. Mungo's for several weeks after the battle in the Department of Mysteries (which might have rattled him a bit seeing as how Sirius was dead and another friend seriously hurt that way, as well as the kids, Mad-Eye, and so on). Instead, he's calm and in control, and either bottling up all those feelings or expelling them at a more opportune moment, i.e., when something more important isn't staring them in the face.

I had a feeling that Remus would go to Kane in the end, more out of a sense of closure than anything. And I'm glad he did, if only to get the last word in.

That said, I liked your Snape, ranting and raving but I can picture him speaking slowly when he does it, with that irritatingly calm voice that makes you just want to punch him in the face. Perfect, of course.

Cheers,

Manna
FirePhoenix86 chapter 6 . 2/3/2012
I really enjoyed reading this chapter. Remus' lesson on werewolves was very well written and thought out. I loved the background info on the Feral werewolves you included. I'm working on a Remus story right now and if you don't mind I'd like to use some of this info. Of course I'll credit you in an author note as well if I use anything.
shinobi-turtleducks chapter 35 . 11/15/2011
PLEASE TELL ME THATS TONKS! that would be priceless... wait, you've already written this? never mind then
Lindelas chapter 22 . 9/9/2011
This chapter made me happy! You write both of them so well! Remus and Tonks are one of the only couples I can truly gush over and you definitely do them justice. I really love the fun banter between them.
Lindelas chapter 4 . 9/5/2011
This chapter made me smile clear to my ears! You write everyone so well and I loved the inclusion of the Weasleys. I always wondered what the twins' reaction would be to Remus being revealed as a Marauder. :)

Anyway, this is the kind of fic I always hope to find when looking for stories. Its nice and long, in character, full of adventure and humor. I can't thank you enough for writing this kind of story! Thanks sooo much!
DeLurkerAnon chapter 43 . 8/10/2011
OK, so I've read this before years ago (Imperious was mostly posted but still being posted) and I've probably read it two more times since at least in parts...but last week I bought an ereader, stuck it on there and read it slowly and thoughtfully and reread bets and really savoured it all and I just have to review this time. It's just such an amazing story, I've read lots of Remus fanfic over the years but this is just something I completely believe you know? Just, ahh I have no words...probably why I haven't reviewed before..but yeah, it's just wow, the plot is so engaging even though I already knew the ending I was still totally on the edge of my seat during the Alpha of Hogwarts and Rey's flashback chapters...and A Quiet Word/Full Circle is the most satisfying ending I've ever read (even though I know it's not over because of Imperious) you just have such a beautiful way of writing (e.g. the description of the nameless emotion in A Quiet Word "Remus watched his rage impassively through the bars, watched the drip of fresh blood as it trickled [...] Shame and pity danced together for a story completed in this foul cell with so much lost and so little to be gained..." I noticed the descriptive style really for the first time in A Quiet Word because that chapter is so *intense* and I essentially read every sentence twice but I realised then that way of writing throughout the whole story and how seamless it was but what makes Oblivious so darn good is how rich those kind of lines make it. I also really liked the Annotations chapter, so interesting to see your thoughts and how you plan something of this scale, how you balance the different characters and scenes and even emotions. We get the Fallen and then the lighthearted In From the Cold and it just makes for such a satisfying story! I'm just so thankful you decided to share your talents in such a medium as fanfic and involving such an intriguing character as Remus that obviously doesn't get a lot of screen time in the book and is just so fascinating, but unlike some other authors you still pay off JKR's Remus with his quiet humour and his teaching style (and his father's profession explaining Harry's third year cirriculum) I also love how Harry features subtly into it without you know being Remus' adoptive son or whatever and Neville taking out Kane! (and then in DH he kills Nagini! you're so dead on!) just little details. It's yours and its different but it fits all the cannon character details we know about everyone, you fit it around what's already establised you don't try and change things and of course Rey is a wonderful new character! In your annotations you mentioned how you wanted to add Remus at the beginning and end so you wouldn't have a complete OC story and that was really the draw in me reading it because as much as I've come to love Rey now I probably would've have been so interested if that was all the story was, but now he's so intergrated and I really love how you did add Full Circle because by then I really did care about Rey and I'm so glad that he got that closure! ...well I seem to have found some words after all! Well anyway, I just wanted to leave this, even if you never see it and I'm looking forward to re-reading Imperious next! Also I want to wish you luck in publishing your original fiction! For you to write something like this within the confines of an already established world you're own creation will be really something spectacular!
LupinLover88 chapter 31 . 8/7/2011
Okay so I didn't sign in, but that really is my pen name. I really don't know what it is, but I find myself reading this fic and the sequal many times over. I love it everytime I read it, and I guess that's why it's in my favorites. smiles Anyways, just wanted to complement you on your writing. As for your worry over long chapters, all I can say is that long chapters are better than short ones that are only two lines long. smiles
RiddikulusWaterbender chapter 42 . 7/22/2011
Wow! This is the best story I've ever read! Best written, the characters are awesome, wow! It was really hard to stop reading this. Awesome!
tentLIPS chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
lol false alarm. no kingsley, just madeye &dumbledore.
tentLIPS chapter 42 . 7/6/2011
Gwenhwyfar: in 1981, just after James&Lily's death, Wormtails supposed death, and sirius goes to azkaban, remus's world is falling apart, he goes and gets drunk, and turns feral in front of mad eye, dumbledore and someone else that i cant remember. maybe kingsley. hope it helps :)
Gwenhwyfar chapter 23 . 6/14/2011
... Why is nobody answering my question? :( sorry but I seriously am confused! Has the 1981 event actually been explained? Cuz I am up to chapter twentysomething and I still have no idea what happened that night! I was really looking falward to reading about Remus slash dumbledore and madeye! Anyway... To make my question clear... HAS OR WILL THE 1981 FERAL INCIDENT BE EXPLAINED?
693 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »