Reviews for Oblivious
yay chapter 40 . 6/16/2012
This chapter was awesome.
yay chapter 39 . 6/16/2012
They're finally getting over their issues? That's so mature of them.
yay chapter 37 . 6/16/2012
Yay Madam Rosmerta!
yay chapter 35 . 6/16/2012
Snape's hilarious too.
yay chapter 29 . 6/16/2012
Neville, the unlikely hero, who nevertheless always seems to end up saving everyone. Go snake killer!
yay chapter 23 . 6/16/2012
Tonks is so awesome.
yay chapter 20 . 6/16/2012
In a good way.
yay chapter 20 . 6/16/2012
*clutches popcorn* This is getting really, really dramatic.
yay chapter 14 . 6/16/2012
Wow, now it's really exciting.
yay chapter 12 . 6/16/2012
So was Kane related to the sister-killer?
yay chapter 8 . 6/16/2012
"The students of course!" Poppy regarded him with a sudden glint in her eye. "I thought you might have noticed them around by now, young, shorter than average, more trouble than they're worth?"

"Oh," Remus smiled with mock thoughtfulness. "I wondered about all those adolescents that keep cropping up in my classroom."

I love the sarcasm.
yay chapter 5 . 6/16/2012
"Well, Mr Malfoy," he said, his voice soft but carrying decisively across the now silent room. "If you wanted to tell me that your mother stole your underpants and the weasels are coming, you could have just done it in English."' Best. Comeback. Ever.
Kitten Kisses chapter 43 . 2/15/2012
Copy/pasting from the PM I sent on LJ, now that FFN is back up and running and letting me log in!

I actually clicked upon Imperius first. I do love me some action/adventure/drama stories, and it also looked like it heavily featured Tonks, and I adore her as well as Remus (I also love the pairing) so I thought, oh hey, a perfect last 'fic to read the weekend before I begin a new job and find I have absolutely no free time. Then I saw the note that it was a sequel but decided to see how "sequel-y" it was, i.e., was it possible to read it as a stand-alone, was there just a handful of extra knowledge one might need to know first, did the author mention any specific thoughts on the connection, and so on. So I read about reading the prequel, and went back to see what Oblivious was all about. I thought, ho-hum, another "Remus's bite" 'fics, but this one doesn't follow canon, I guess I could just read Chapter 6 and the epilogue (like your note said in the first chapter of Imperius) and go read the sequel.

But Chapter Six was actually rather good, and the epilogue didn't make an ounce of sense, because I couldn't tell who Rey was right off, or what Remus was talking about when he said he was scared- et cetera.

So I went back to Chapter One against my better judgment. And I don't mean that in a negative way toward you, of course; I just mean that 150k words or so is a lot of 'fic to read, and usually I don't read 'fics so long, or, I daresay, 'fics so long that don't have any romance in them at all. (I admit it, I'm a shipper.)

But having finished the 'fic this afternoon (after beginning last night, pausing to watch a movie for several hours and to attend church this morning), I have to say it was definitely worth the read.

I usually don't mind a small veering away from canon, and with a lot of 'fics, veering from canon was really rather expected because of the time when they were written. To be honest, I liked your account of what happened better than the canon, especially in that it went into full detail and you didn't really stop to pussyfoot around things like Remus's romantic past (thank you for that). Not that I'm against reading about his past—I did read a good story or two that addressed it!—but as you said in an author note, it's been hashed and rehashed so many times that focusing too heavily on it detracts from a story more than anything. Or at least, that's my opinion.

I still like to know and see the differing thoughts on what Remus's past might have been like (romantically or otherwise), though, and your story did fill in most of the blanks there, and it definitely filled in all of the important blanks, re: his bite, how he got it, et cetera and so on.

The bit about "ferals" was rather interesting, and I'm assuming that were we in the canon universe, Greyback would fall under that category? (Or close to it?) At any rate, I have to admit that I liked Kane a bit more than Greyback, anyway; at least he had some kind of a purpose in the story other than to be the resident Asshole Werewolf, which is something I don't like about Greyback. There has to be more to a character than that, and if they were going to introduce Greyback only to make him one-dimensional, they might as well have mentioned more about his pack (and the mission Remus had to go on), to at least…put something more there than, well, nothing at all.

Cough. Anyway, Kane was rather interesting. He was an irredeemable character, but not one-dimensional at all, which I liked. I could gather up a bit of sympathy for the fellow at one point or another, but like so many other people in the world, he made a conscious choice to be a douche, and, well, that's too bad, but once he went so far he never could go back. (And some of the things he did! Horrible!)

I realize you might be a little iffy on the story since it has been a handful of years since you've written it, but I assure you I found very little to criticize the entire time I was reading it. (And what I did find were just typos, anyway.)

You kept a rather tight focus on Remus, and you only kept to what was more…important about him, i.e., you did mention a passing incident in a bathroom, but you didn't go into vivid details. And while I'm praising your knickers off, I might as well say that I was pleased that the entire story wasn't some kind of sob-story, "Oh poor pathetic Remus", et cetera and so on. In fact, if I may be so bold as to say this, I think your characterization of Remus was spot on. A lot of things that happened in this story would make his actions in the later books make absolute sense.

I feel as if despite writing for the fandom, you weren't letting yourself be influenced by the fanon itself, the "Remus has better smell because he's a werewolf!"/"Remus the sex god!"/"Remus the over-sarcastic prankster!" kinds of things that seem to spread because one author started it and everyone else followed blindly without looking at his canon personality.

Not saying he can't have better smell, be good in bed, or be a sarcastic prankster, but those would only be small facets of his character, and in a story like the one you wrote, hardly worth exploring completely.

Which is probably why I liked your story so much. To be sure, I was a bit blown away by it. Your Remus is a bit different than the one I have in my head, but he is very close to the image I have, so that's something in itself. You did an excellent job balancing his canon self around hints of how he might act away from Harry Potter's P.O.V., for example, we know he's a strong wizard, but he seems to look in ill health and the way you wrote him before he passed out while teaching was great—he wasn't being a weakling, or anything. In fact, he was very Remus-y in that he was trying very hard to keep going despite it being…err…not his best idea. (Really Remus, you should have sat down or something.)

And then, later, against Kane in Hogsmeade, he's a fighter, but he's not over-confident. He feels fear, and he tries to push through it. He tries to protect people he cares about, and even people he doesn't—like other children, strangers, even people who might, for all he knows, despise him.

(I did like that clumsy Tonks was the one whose first-aid spell might have saved him, there. A lot of fandom forgets that she is a very capable Auror, and that she keeps a cool head under pressure, and I think giving her a bit of understated glory was nice.)

Speaking of, the one thing I did think Remus was going to apologize for that he didn't, was his stint in The Howling where Tonks might have easily lost her job because of him. I forget now who pointed it out—I'm pretty sure it was Dumbledore—but I did think that he might mention it to Tonks later, either by way of an apology for her risking her job, or with a "thank you" for risking it at all, because chances are she'd brush any apology away, anyway.

But while I'm talking about glory, I loved the bit about the chandelier with Neville, and you did well with action/adventure-type scenes, especially Remus's transformed fight with Kane. I'm not a teacher, but I always wanted to be, and even I was proud of the kids for remembering the lessons Remus taught them, for reacting so quickly, and so on.

The only chapters I didn't much care for were the flashback chapters from Rey's point of view. They were well-written, definitely, but I think my issue with them stemmed with the fact that they were long and not about Remus. However, I did like the content in them, so I can't complain at all, and it was really nice to get a glimpse of what things were like before and after, and of Rey's struggle (with Diana). The most poignant part for me was after the flashback (I think this is where that scene was) where Rey is explaining to Remus about what it was like to lock him in the cellar, naked, three years old, and listen to him screaming down there alone and afraid. I mean, I'm also not a parent, but that hit me really hard. I can't imagine leaving my baby alone to face something so scary alone, but they didn't really have a choice, now did they?

Overall, I found Rey and Diana to be believable characters, perfect for Remus's parental units, really, because it'd be easy to see where he gets various facets of his personality.

When I mentioned that I liked that the story wasn't a giant sob-story, I also meant to say that I like that there were lighthearted moments, too—like Tonks showing up morphed as Snape, her tripping over things, the werewolf lesson in class, and so on. He didn't spend the entire story moping about how sad his life was, or about Sirius, or about Tonks being in St. Mungo's for several weeks after the battle in the Department of Mysteries (which might have rattled him a bit seeing as how Sirius was dead and another friend seriously hurt that way, as well as the kids, Mad-Eye, and so on). Instead, he's calm and in control, and either bottling up all those feelings or expelling them at a more opportune moment, i.e., when something more important isn't staring them in the face.

I had a feeling that Remus would go to Kane in the end, more out of a sense of closure than anything. And I'm glad he did, if only to get the last word in.

That said, I liked your Snape, ranting and raving but I can picture him speaking slowly when he does it, with that irritatingly calm voice that makes you just want to punch him in the face. Perfect, of course.

Cheers,

Manna
FirePhoenix86 chapter 6 . 2/3/2012
I really enjoyed reading this chapter. Remus' lesson on werewolves was very well written and thought out. I loved the background info on the Feral werewolves you included. I'm working on a Remus story right now and if you don't mind I'd like to use some of this info. Of course I'll credit you in an author note as well if I use anything.
regretmemo chapter 35 . 11/15/2011
PLEASE TELL ME THATS TONKS! that would be priceless... wait, you've already written this? never mind then
701 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »