Reviews for Through a Mirror Darkly
Texcatlipoka chapter 8 . 1/11/2011
This story is such a gem. It's got everything- internal logic, believable characters, suspense, surprise, the whole lot. Write more D&D stuff, Rummi, you're just so good at it!
Allronix chapter 8 . 7/22/2007
Oh, now that was a trip! I thought for SURE that you had played the Character Death card! And it does make sense, especially considering the "lost episode" (the one you get in the box set read radio-style)
Knites chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
Well, it took me a few days to get through this story. You see, I sent it to my celphone and read it on the train on my way to work. However, once I got to chapter 6, I had to finish it. And, while the Shelia/Hank ship lover in me would have liked a little more, I cast that aside and just want to say I really enjoyed your story.

I actually just finished watching the D&D episodes from start to finish today, but I decided to read your story before I listend to the radio-show produced final episode, "Requiem".

You were spot on with all the characters. I especially liked how you treated Eric. You kept him funny without him having to be stupid or annoying.

And I ashamed and pleased at the same time to say I forgot all about the Jell-o until the end. Yep, you got me. Again, well done. I loved how you tied it all together. Jell-o, Ice Chamber, waterskin, without me even suspecting.

Thanks so much for a really well written story. I'm planning to read your next one as well.

If I might return the enjoyment you gave me, I have a fanfic on this site based on the JLU universe. feel free to check it out. It's not complete yet, but it will be. The title is A Temporal Anomoly. I hope you'll check it out.

Well, again, thanks for the read, I really enjoyed it. You made my ride to work that much easier.
Sanction chapter 8 . 3/29/2007
This is a brilliant take on a classic story, packed with rousing heroism, stirring romance, and even leaves some time for tears. Yes, what I like best about this story is that it isn't all sound and fury but about the relationships between good friends, and how terrible it is to think you've lost someone dear to you without letting them know they're exactly that. There was a moment when I thought that Hank, being the heroic leader, would take up all the spotlight in this story, but that didn't happen. Everyone in the group got a chance to shine. I love that moment of vulnerability between Eric and Diana, where the cavalier goes through his grief in words while the acrobat did so-more eloquently-through tears.

In particular, I'm very grateful for building up the romance between Hank and Sheila-I've been so looking forward to that ever since I started up with this series again. I hope you will write more about them in the future-it would be terrific to read more from someone as gifted as you.

You will write again, won't you?

Thanks so much for time well spent.
lisa316 chapter 8 . 3/24/2007
The Jello again! I love it!

So that bit on the cliff where Hank told Shiela he didn't have much time was her dream, huh? Sort of a shame - that was a pretty great kiss. I'm not one for romance between the D&D kids, but you pulled it off beautifully.

This was a brilliant story; I enjoyed every paragraph! Thank you so much for writing it.
lisa316 chapter 6 . 3/24/2007
Woohoo! Great ending on this chapter! Hank coming to Shiela's rescue like that: big grin!

I really enjoy the way you develope each character's role in the group:

"The Cavalier glanced at his griffin-faced shield in the dirt at his feet. He gave it a disgusted kick. "Dungeon Master gave me one job when we got to this world. One job! I'm the one who protects everybody. You'd think after all the time I spent ducking for cover that I'd be good at it by now! But I can't even do that right! Hank would have done exactly the right thing," Eric insisted." - excellent line here!
lisa316 chapter 5 . 3/23/2007
This is just so well done!

Favorite parts:

"Abra-la-crackin'! Send these creeps packin'!" Presto commanded his hat. It manifested a hail of objects that caused the attackers to flounder away from him. Presto blinked as several assailants tumbled to the ground, tangled in a mass of flying garments, while others were pelted by what looked like old luggage. The Magician grinned at his hat's strange sense of literal humor and placed it back on his head. -Are you sure you weren't one of the show's original writers? Made me wish it was Saturday morning and I had a big bowl of Cocoa Krispies...

"You know me!" he called back. "Eric the Head-Case Cavalier! Stupid as ever!" - Ah, Eric: heroic, with a twist!

"No!" a voice said from behind them. Bobby had also come down the stairs. "NO!" he repeated in a shrill cry. "Hank said everything would be all right! He promised!" - Ok, that was some powerful stuff. That whole scene was good but Bobby's reaction was perfect.

And the ending is the reason I don't read incomplete fics. I would kill myself if I had to wait for an update for something this good. ;)
lisa0316 chapter 4 . 3/23/2007
I like how your style reflects that of the cartoon: dark and innocent at the same time. You go from the horrible villian who beats and tortures young children to using his sadistic ice chamber for making Jello. Well done!
LISA0316 chapter 2 . 3/23/2007
Wow! You hooked me!

Excellent dialogue; I could hear each of the kids saying those lines in my mind while I was reading.

Of course the action is great and the plot very interesting, but I most enjoyed the scene where they were sitting around and recapping their day. Your characterization is perfect!

The bit with Hank and Shiela was sweet, and I love that you gave Eric a chance to be the hero, even if it was with a ham hock.

Looking forward to this one.
Ovo chapter 8 . 6/21/2006
I enjoyed that. The runarounds. The, erm... dramatics. Presto's hat. :D

Great fun all around (well... from the reading side, anyway)!
C.Bell chapter 7 . 6/15/2006
Well, that was an update certainly worth waiting for. This was a great chapter. Really action packed and the perfect climax to a great story. I know there's an epliouge coming up but I loved the "happy ending" feel to this chappy. I crave angst, 'tis true, but sometime's there's nothing like an uplifting ending. I was really relieved when you didn't kill Hank or Isolde...I thought Isolde was a gonner when Rubin stabbed her but I'm glad you let her live, she deserved happiness. And the little bit at the end with Hank and Sheila was a real "aw" moment without being slushy or cheesy. You know that I'm primarily an Eric/Diana fan but I do find Hank and Sheila quite adorable when well written and you do them justice.

And thanks for the dedication, I'm touched, even though I didn't really do anything other than be an annoying nag, LOL. But I am good at that - ask my family. :p
Celyne chapter 6 . 3/18/2006
Wonderful update! Don't worry, this story is enjoyed. I especially like how your put depth into the Young One's characters and how they have matured through this.
C.Bell chapter 6 . 2/26/2006
Yay, I love updates! Another brilliant chapter. You dealt with everyone's grief really well. Sheila snapping out of her grief so she could help was realistically done, and the little "I loved him" was heart-breaking. I loved the little Eric and Diana bits, they were great and very in character, IMHO. And the ending...whoo hoo! I knew you couldn't have REALLY killed him off. Now the only question is how did Hank survive? Eagerly awaiting the next chapter as always. I'm just loving this story.
Celyne chapter 1 . 1/23/2006
Wonderfully written story :D Can't wait for the next update.
Sonic chapter 5 . 1/4/2006
I've really like what you done so far. can't wait for the next chap.