Reviews for Facing the Darkness
kyoiku kanji chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
Having read Strange Meetings, I began looking for the other stories you'd mentioned and I am not disappointed. You have done an excellent job here. You have pulled me into the story... teased me with details that only make me want to read more.

Another facet not covered in the movies as much... the prophesy that the hands of the king are the hands of a healer- I like that you give his touch an interesting warmth to them.
Darkover chapter 9 . 10/1/2010
I can't recall if I reviewed this story at another site, but if so, I will happily do so again here. This is an excellent story. You have a majestic style of writing that is reminiscent of Tolkien's, and you are also good at expressing the emotions of the characters without making the story mawkish. Your version of Aragorn is truly noble, a man worthy of being called king. I like your version of Faramir, also-a dedicated captain, a fine man, but a very young one in need of more confidence and self-esteem. Faramir may have a chance to develop these characteristics, with his domineering father gone at last! My favorite portion of this tale is Chapter Six, because it warmed my heart to read how tenderly Aragorn cared for Faramir, and how the younger man was finally able to release some of the emotional turmoil he felt. I just have a couple of criticisms: in one chapter, you wrote that Aragorn bandaged the "wheals" on Faramir's body. That word should be spelled "weals." I know I'm nitpicking about what was very probably just a typo, but it is still a mistake. Another thing: when Pippin tells Aragorn why the Men of Gondor obeyed the Steward's order to burn Faramir alive, Pippin relates that Denethor had Men beaten for apparently the slightest infraction. What concerns me is this; Pippin stated that had he known about such punishment, he probably would not have tried to save Faramir, either. Uh...excuse me? I'm sure a flogging is both extremely painful and humiliating, but Pippin would have let Faramir be burned alive, rather than risk a flogging? That doesn't sound like the Pippin I've read about, or saw portrayed in the movies, either one! Otherwise, this story was great. Thank you so much for writing and posting it! Sincerely, Darkover
pipilo chapter 9 . 6/8/2010
This was a lovely little story. I'm currently reading through all of your stories and I wanted to tell you I love them. You are a brilliant author.
Syntyche chapter 9 . 3/14/2010
I'm so glad to have these little moments you've written to fill in some of the gaps ... and I'm looking forward to reading all of the other stories I see you've written.

This story I quite like because it takes so many little things - Aragorn's dressing for battle, for instance - and weaves them into story that, although short, is gratefully read and enjoyed. thank you for posting it!
LisaG16 chapter 9 . 1/5/2010
Excellent story! I'm going to hurry over and read the next one! :)
Hello Anyone There chapter 9 . 12/23/2007
I love this story. You've portrayed Aragorns emotions brilliantly. He seems so wise and kingly.
Rhyselle chapter 9 . 10/16/2006
It has been two years since you finished this story, I see. I truly regret that I have not found your fics before today-I found them by following a favorite author link from another LOTR fanfic writer.

I really enjoyed reading this tale and am about to go to the one this was a prequel to.

The characterization of Aragorn was just right to my mind, and I really liked what you showed of the hobbits in the Houses of Healing as well. Of the things I regretted in the film versions, not seeing Faramir being healed bothered me most, followed by the lack of the Scouring of the Shire. Why could he not have gotten rid of that bloody annoying avalanche of skulls and used those wasted minutes to let us see Fara' healing? *sigh* Well, at least in canon, we see it, and it is extrapolated in the wonderful fics that have been posted here. :)

Thanks for sharing your words.
Neoinean chapter 9 . 10/1/2006
This is another wonderful expansion of Tolkien. You blend the book and the movie together very well, and your own personal touches are welcome additions. I wasn't sure about the thought of Denethor flogging Faramir so, but then I decided that if he floggs everyone who displeases him without regard for their station or importance its just another sign of his descent into maddness, which is much more believable. I tend to favor a more sympathetic view of Denethor (if you can count being cold, emotionally neglectful, and openly playing favorites "sympathetic") so I'm probably biased. Anyway, I really liked this story. Thanks for sharing it!
MarzBar chapter 9 . 2/23/2006
As you can see, I am working through your wonderful stories. Great characterizations.
Mandy chapter 5 . 12/9/2005
I seem to remember reading that Aragorn still considered Pippin to be in the service of Gondor. In fact, when the Hobbits returned to the Shire, Pippin was "on leave." I never did understand that since I, too, thought Denethor had released him.
lucidity chapter 9 . 10/20/2005
Wonderful ending! I will now have to make some time to read the next installment!

Great fic!
lucidity chapter 8 . 10/20/2005
Wow, you sure do know a lot about the armor and such of the time. Bravo.
lucidity chapter 7 . 10/20/2005
Faramir doesn't get very much rest, the poor dear
lucidity chapter 6 . 10/20/2005
Poor Faramir! He keeps ending up feeling foolish in front of Aragorn. I'm glad that Aragorn is not scornful of his 'weakness'.
lucidity chapter 5 . 10/20/2005
Aragorn really does need to tend to himself better and what is up with poor Faramir?
169 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »