Reviews for Beautiful
sailormoonserenity99 chapter 1 . 2/13
Foot binding became fashionable way after Mulan's time, and it was only popular among the nobles at first. Mulan's family appear to be farmers, so obviously they would need to be able to walk properly.
ThePotterGeek chapter 1 . 10/16/2008
this doesnt really explain how she escaped it. fa zhou at the end seems like he's going to comply.

and also, i dont think that this would happen, because it was the mindset. tiny feet were beautiful. i read a whole book that takes place in china, and the girl in it looked forward to it. and i dont think the women would totter. i just don't think they could walk very far or very fast. which they weren't expected to do anyway.

sorry about all of this. ur story is really well written. i do like it.
random chapter 1 . 5/9/2008
Okay, just to clarify this once and for all:

Wealthy provincial farmers and men in port cities of the merchant class did bind their daughters' feet, but this tradition was not prevalent during the Han Dynasty, which is according to some reading from a southern tradition the time period of the Mulan myth. It's heyday was much later, during the Ch'ing Dynasty; and the practice was still reserved for the wealthier class of merchant, farmer, trader, etc.

Foot binding is a powerful subject matter, but not necessarily relevant to the consensual time period of the myth. Even in a Disney setting, where they'd boldly make historical anachronisms without pity, they seemed to at least acknowledge this.

(It might have had something to do with the fact that Asian-Americans did work on Mulan, however.)

Also, since it is a mark of beauty...why would her father love her just the way she is? (Cueing the aw.) That reeks of egocentrism and historical revision.
Mylinda Antoinette chapter 1 . 3/18/2007
Are you going to continue?
Lellow chapter 1 . 2/28/2006
You know perhaps the real story that mulan didn't have bound feet would've been because the writers at disney may have thought such a thing would hinder the story and make it even more difficult to explain to a "G" audience?

Teehee... nah seriously its really good... I like it heaps... at least you've touched on such a subject which other writers have ignored to serve their own purposes... you are totally on my favs list... a good one shot...straight forward, emotional and powerful in its simplicity...

Also for all those people who don't know much about the tradition of footbinding and the kind of women who were subjected to it, i suggest you read "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See... its what got me reading this! I don't think it was a tradition marginalised to rich women. It may however, have started out that way.
AMEDASANI chapter 1 . 12/19/2005
Yes foot binding in China was popular but only for the rich and noble families. Yes I know that Fa Zhou was a General in the Imperial Army but that does not mean that he was a noble. He and his family were farmers.
endlessdesk chapter 1 . 11/29/2005
There could be yet ANOTHER reason why Mulan's feet weren't bound! Maybe it's because feet binding only originated from the Qing Dynasty and the Manchus? Mulan was set in the Wei, if I remember my chinese lit class correctly. Also, since mulan wasn't set during that era, that means her feet would never have been bound, right?
Warspite chapter 1 . 10/27/2005
Actually, the answer is damned simple. First of all, not all women bind their feet - it is a status symbol, and only the well-to-do can afford it, the vast majority of the population, the peasants and the fishermen and so on, you bet they didn't bind feet - they need all the labour they can get. Second, that custom wasn't even invented until about the Song Dynasty, about four hundred years AFTER Mulan died. So you see, simple explanations.
WolfDaughter chapter 1 . 8/15/2005
Hm, this is a very intresting concept, and a great beginning. Are you planning on continuing it? Because I'd really like to see what you come up with for her to get out of it.
Holli chapter 1 . 3/13/2005
I'd actually had this thought myself ... This is very good so far, I really enjoy your characterization of Fa Zhou - very reasonable concerns he has there. I hope there's another chapter explaining how Mulan actually gets out of it :)
ReganX chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
You've raised a good point, actually. If Mulan's feet had been bound, she would barely have been able to move, especially if it was done very early, ie. at two or three, as it seems to have been for some.

If Fa Zhou thinks that he'll be able to bind her feet without waking her, he is sadly mistaken. From what I've read, it was an absolutely ghastly procedure. I always found it hard to believe that it as a woman who reintroduced foot-binding after it had all but vanished.
God Almighty chapter 1 . 12/9/2004
Lovely story, I really would like to know where this goes... Update real soon then! :D
Lollipop Mimilove chapter 1 . 11/18/2004
Wow. So, how does she get out of it?

Jeez, the Chinese had wierd standards of beauty. (No offence meant.) Not that the ideas in England(where I live)were any better... *cough*corsets*cough*
Master Zhang chapter 1 . 10/28/2004
fairly accurate.

Just to let u know, great wall was built by lengthening and connecting earlier walls. Mulan is supposed to be somewhere during the Sui and Tang dynasties, but judging by historical things in the movie, it seems Disney decided to use the Han, although they gave Mulan a Tang dress.
Whimsical Flourish chapter 1 . 10/10/2004