Reviews for The Winds of Advent
ngairetaylor chapter 16 . 11/16/2015
Yep... Virgil is correct putting Ice on a burn is very bad. Burns - including sunburn can affect the thermostat in your body. Putting ice on it can damage the burn area AND send you into hyperthermia.
I had a lecturer who was doing a Phd into Cardio damage from Myocardial Infarcts... He discovered that if you bath the damaged cells in a high Ionic solution of Calcium, Magnesium and Manganese the cells would be less damaged and were less likely to die.
The practical application of this is that sunburns can be treated successfully with a bath of tepid or cool (not cold) Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salts).
Epsom Salts are very good for your health... Just be careful when drinking it.
My lecturer decided to 'cure' a hangover by drinking a solution of Epsom salts. It apparently did cure the hangover but he did have to sit in the toilet for a few hours. Because of which I do NOT recommend this treatment as this can cause dehydration.
Epsom Salts has been used for years as an effective laxative... I think the main reason why more people do not use it as such - the taste.
ngairetaylor chapter 15 . 11/16/2015
Thank you from a huge John fan. And that he was not given a 'space' job from the start was not a disappointment to me.
Surprised yes.
Disappointed no.
What I would like to do is get your John to get an inner ear and balance test done. LOL.
We are all human. We can not be 'perfection' in everything.
I disappointed a Navy recruiting Officer when I was much younger... I had extremely good hearing.
My hearing was better than 98% of the population.
I am however 'tone deaf' - I could hear better than a 15 year old at the age of 25. I could tell the difference between submarine radar 'pings - but I could not tell you what music note they are in.
So the Navy Officer was disappointed that my million dollar ears were attached to an unfit overweight and almost middle aged woman. LOL.
ngairetaylor chapter 13 . 11/16/2015
Love the idea of Thanksgiving... Of giving thanks for all that we have.
John still being sick even after getting his pilots licence is pretty funny. I guess he will not like the Zero G training then. They take them up in a plane and 'drop' the nose creating the Zero G affect - the plane is called the 'Vomit Rocket'.
It is lucky that the others are not 'Sympathetic' vomiting, vomiting can become a 'social' activity.
I have seen it... one person vomiting will trigger vomiting in others.
I went up in the back of an Australian Air Force Hercules C-130, the aircrew decided to play 'elevator' with us. They 'dropped' the plane a few times. The change in altitude and gravity affected us and it ended up with quite a few vomiting in the back.
And that is not the only 'social' vomit story I know of.
... Just one thing. You either end a radio call with 'Over' OR 'Out' not both
With thanks for a great story,
ngairetaylor chapter 11 . 11/16/2015
Hi, I am enjoying your story.
About Fermat he did annoy me a bit... Not because he was there but because he was given a stutter that made him too much like a younger clone of his Dad. The stutter was annoying- it looked like it was there just so they could do the joke where Fernat said to Alan "I can not talk - but you do not listen"
Alan's age also bothered me a bit as I liked his career as a racing car driver. It was a shame they could not have given him something to 'race'... BMX? Motercross? Skateboarding? Hover-Boards?
I am enjoying the interaction you have been the boys.
I liked how you had not everyone happy with the move to the island. It made more sense- I do not believe a change like that would have been liked by everyone.
An interesting fact- when Penny told Parker that hemlines were 'going up' it was actually very good news... It has been shown that in times of great economic boon and peace that the length of skirts get shorter and - hemlines 'go up'. This can be seen as success for Tracy Industries and the Thunderbirds.
I am hoping that you will give me more of John and his career in NASA and his skills with languages and perhaps his books... Especially his first book? Please.
With thanks for a great read,
Montydog131 chapter 23 . 12/24/2012
I'm slowly working my way through this as part of my Christmas treat of reading everything I want. loved this chapter - how you start that rather damaged young man on the way to recovery in a believable way. he's the only one of the brothers I really related to in the film (nature of the film I think), but this is a beautiful back story. Well done (sorry I'm a bit behind the power curve in reviewing). Great story.
alamodie chapter 35 . 10/5/2011
An amazing story. I love the idea for the story and I loved the story itself. I'm sorry inspiration left you, but I hope it will find you once again, wheteher it be for this subject or another, for it's quite obvious you have a talent for writing.
spinkle22 chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
Wooww. So I just read this whole fic.

The way it's structured... the boys' lives in various chapters makes it all more heart-wrenching somehow. I also love how everything kind of adds up, and you think of surprising explanations that no-one would have thought of before, rather than the conventional 'Gordon was testing a hydrofoil or performing a rescue' when he crashed it. The boys and Jeff are so complex in their personalities and thoughts, it really shows how much time has gone into this. I like how it's all so realistic, too- no-one is 'perfect' and you've really thought about developing their characters; both their strong points *and* their flaws, which is where so many people slip up. Things like Alan and Tintin's very first relationship in this are great: two moody kids who end up in love with each other. And John. Ah, John- such a total, in-depth character with so much emotion and complexities. I loved him. I love all this. It was a great read, thank you!

I suppose I should have written this in paragraphs, but I don't really know where to split them. I hope you can understand all of this!

BlueEyedAlchemist chapter 33 . 7/9/2008
this stories really good

1 thing though. didn't gordon win his medal after the accident? (n IR was formed after that?)
Ambernine chapter 35 . 4/17/2007
Well, I will be of little use at work today. I was up very late because I just had to finish and I am really sorry to see it end. Nice job of explaining why Gordon's hair isn't red in the movie. As a parent, my heart ached for Jeff. I truly felt his pain. Once again, you have written and extraordinary piece of work. I will not hesitate to recommend this story to anyone who loves the Thunderbirds. Thank you.

PS: If the spirit moves you to revisit this genre, please don't fight it :D
Ambernine chapter 24 . 4/16/2007
I am new to the world of Thunderbird fanfiction. Of all the stories I have read so far about the origins of IR, your story has been the best. You have made this whole scenario of what the Thunderbirds really is so believable. It all makes so much sense! I'm only 3/4 of the way through, but now I truly believe the Tracy family is real, each and every one of them. I hope John continues to come out of his shell. I can tell that you have a soft spot for him ; )

You have a real talent for writing. It is not easy to sustain a story as long as this one and maintain interest. You've done it! I'm hooked and look forward to the rest of this story. Will you be writing any more soon?
Lillehafrue chapter 35 . 5/9/2006
Excellent ending for an excellent story. Jeff's musings about his family and his wife were very touching.

Sad to see that this may be your last jump into the TB universe! Can't wait to see the oneshots anyway, and here's hoping you change your mind.

Thanks again for a great read.
Marblez chapter 35 . 5/9/2006
yay you finished! And what an amazing finnish! I love it, you're story was way cool. sad to hear it's one of the last though.
barb from utah chapter 35 . 5/7/2006
I loved this story. I am sorry to see it end. You have done a wonderful job. You managed to make the story seem real. You have shown them as a family. Good and Bad moments. I can not wait to see what you come up with next.

Math Girl chapter 35 . 5/7/2006
Hopefully, not out for good! You have far too much talent, and too fresh a point of view to quit writing Thunderbirds. Winds of Advent was an amazing event, something I looked forward to, and will continue to revisit. I very much anticipate the next time you put brush to paper, and begin painting with words.

zeilfanaat chapter 35 . 5/7/2006
-Hugs great author back- You have done an incredible and superb job, writing this story. It might have taken me a while sometimes to get to read the new chapter, but I wanted to read it well, and not just skim through it. And I've enjoyed the whole thing, from beginning to end. 'Trading reviews and stuff' was great fun as well. :p

Yup, you're on my Author Alert list, so there's no going behind my back with new stories. ;) A few extra one-shots you said... sounds interesting... very interesting. :p Anyway, once again, well done. -Pats darkhelmetj on the back-

Ariel D - Congratulations! You made it through 250 pages. :p So, here's my huge thank you: THANKS! (Oh my, have I just been following orders? -reads darkhelmetj's A/N again- Yup. Oh well. ;))

Indeed, it's been a lot of fun, 'secretly' trading messages. Now of course, you realise, you only have one FP left. -realisation dawns- Oh dear. You still have one FP left! I can see an evil grin forming on your face. -shudders- Anyway, hope to see you around! :)