Reviews for Godzilla vs Cthulhu
The Good Doctor chapter 1 . 3/8
C.L. Werner does a great job of bringing together two of the great titans of pop culture: the king of the monsters and the face of weird literature. Obviously a fan of H.P. Lovecraft, Werner incorporates elements of both "Call of Cthulhu" and "Shadow Out of Innsmouth" (with a dash of At the Mountains of Madness) into the Heisei Godzilla timeline, set some time in between the events of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. I also like how the name of the cult, the Watchers on the Shore, has a distinct Lovecraftian ring to it, like "The Shambler from the Stars" or "The Haunter from the Dark."

Curiously, Werner jumps back and forth between a more verbose form of prose during the cult segments of the story and a more straight-forward action-oriented prose during the Godzilla portions of the story. Normally, that might be very jarring. Given the story in question, I think it works. The final showdown between Godzilla and Cthulhu is cool (if a little short, considering the story's size), with Cthulhu using all sorts of eldritch magic against a nigh-invincible nuclear foe. Godzilla really gets put through the ringer while battling the Great Old Ones. I think the denouement of their battle is a little rushed, however.

My main gripe with the story is that the author treats Hokkaido, a large island, as a city. Sapporo is a city-Godzilla destroyed it in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. It was grating to read about the "city of Hokkaido" getting destroyed and all. I hope that sort of mistake does not appear in Werner's other kaiju fanfics, which I'm excited about reading.
evolution-500 chapter 1 . 3/11/2021
Very cool idea for a story.
grififthdidnothingwrong chapter 6 . 3/15/2020
this is crazy this was made before i was even alive
gay 3 chapter 1 . 1/25/2020
gay 3
Guest chapter 1 . 12/5/2019
##-#-?#-#?"?""?"-#-2-#-##-#-"?"?"?#-#29929#9######## 929####929#-$-$!#!"$#-#-#-$-$-$-$-#2###-#"-##-######################################?########?#?#?#?##?#?##?#?#?#?#?#?#?######?'-%%4*3273*$19$-437 !29100 0 (2($382 !$-2 '!$3-#$!28#-$-$8-2-$$!7382-#%*$?3-###-
gay 2 chapter 1 . 9/23/2019
gay 2
Master of Tales chapter 6 . 9/13/2019
Fantastic! The best take on this kaiju crossover I have found, balancing narration, cosmic horror, engaging description and creative decision. You allowed the story to set the stakes, using Godzilla to properly fit the narrative. Cthulhu was particularly well written, with his own sense of superiority ultimately being his downfall, at least for a time. Thank you for sharing your talent, though this is 18 years after the fact.
gay chapter 3 . 8/30/2019
Gay
Guest chapter 6 . 2/5/2018
Fantastic! Loved every minute! A masterpiece!
SergioGamer735 chapter 6 . 2/8/2017
man this is awsome
SergioGamer735 chapter 3 . 2/8/2017
SO COOL DUDE
SergioGamer735 chapter 2 . 2/8/2017
Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
SergioGamer735 chapter 1 . 2/8/2017