Reviews for Artifice
Holme's assitant chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
awesome!
cirruscastle chapter 6 . 6/6/2005
I could spend time nit-picking at little details of style that caught my attention, but the story is really too good for that.

From the first to the last it is an intriguing look at an unusual relationship between Nooj and Rin. Not only does the reader gain an insight into what motivates Nooj and Rin, but he/she also gets an insider's look at the Al Bhed culture.

Besides that your language contains some excellent embellishments. If I had the time to review individual chapters I would definitely be able to pick out some of my favourite quotes. You pay attention to some of the small details of existence in Spira which always makes for a more pleasurable read.

Also the plot details which you create make perfect sense, something that I always welcome since the game designers throw nonsensical characters at us most of the time, almost completely divorced from their pasts.

An excellent story that it was my great pleasure to read.
Eirien2 chapter 6 . 5/13/2005
Amazing ending. I have really enjoyed your unique writing style, your very descriptive language, and of course, the very original subject you have chosen to write about. I am afraid I really can't give you any critic for you to improve on because I can't find any to say in the mean time.

This fic is definitely a diamond, and I ask for your permission to archive it on this new Final Fantasy Fanfiction archive that aims to select only quality fanfictions to archive. The url is .nu but your story will be posted at .nu before getting archived there. I really hope that you will give me permission.
Eirien2 chapter 5 . 5/13/2005
Poor Rin. I like how you have added interesting settings and atmosphere to each of the chapters to enhance the story. Great job! :D
Eirien2 chapter 4 . 5/13/2005
Interesting idea about how Nooj actually decided to become a death seeker. Another amazing work :D
Eirien2 chapter 3 . 5/13/2005
I like this chapter the best compared to the previous chapters due to the fact that it raises a very philozophical statement, which I love. I love what Rin says near the end to Nooj about what the real price is. Amazing work!
Eirien2 chapter 2 . 5/13/2005
Another wonderfully written chapter. The description has not failed the first chapter ane the reader can just feel the tension between Rin and Nooj. Great job!
Eirien2 chapter 1 . 5/13/2005
I love your descriptive language so much! I can almost hear the cicadas' constant hum and the torturing heat. Absolutely wonderful! :D
IndigoHyacinth chapter 2 . 4/9/2005
With your LJ entries in mind...you writing does seem to be the product of much careful thought. Words and phrases carefully weighted, sentences arranged with an intended end result fully in mind. Or perhaps not. In any case, I like your attention to details, the examinations of your characters' worlds and lives. Trade and disease. Genetics and machines. Upbringing and culture. The simple physics of trying to walk in a muddy chocobo field while trying to hold onto a semblance of dignity.

I really wish I had some constructive critiscm to give you. You seem like you would like that. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of is that it might have been nice if you had included Al-Bhed translations somewhere on the page, maybe at the end of the chapters.
The RyRy chapter 6 . 4/6/2005
Luc...

This is an amazing ending. There are so many questions, but so many answered. The animated machina was a beautiful but horrific touch...

I really liked the way you ended this. Really liked. I always wondered how it would end, and you answered that question with your usual ease and skill.

The depth of this story is unsurpassed in this fandom. Your depiction of Rin is amazing. I had only barely thought of him before reading this fic of yours... and now, I daresay I will think of him more often.

Thank you for writing this and doing it justice. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
The RyRy chapter 5 . 4/2/2005
What is there ever to say about your work? It's precise and polished, the likes of which I can only envy. You masterfully write Rin, and write sides into him that I would have never seen. The allergy to the wood chips is brilliant.

Your writing of young Nooj is excellent and well-placed. You seem to have a very vivid picture of him, and his personality just flows in your writing. It's beautiful.

The tension at the end of this portion was artfully rendered. I could feel it running through my fingers and I turned the scrollwheel on the mouse, wishing I could just read a little bit faster so I could know how it turns out but never wanting to miss a single word of what you write.

I wish I were involved in your other fandoms that you write for, just so I could fully experience and appreciate the most of your work, Luc Court. It is rare that I feel so strongly about one's works. I hope you shall continue to find time to write, even if it's not in a fandom I can follow.
SuinaJibrille chapter 4 . 1/18/2005
Absolutely wonderful! I really can't wait for more- I'm a big Nooj fan, and to see a fic that doesn't completely bash him nor toss him out of character is rare! Keep up the amazing work!
Ikonopeiston chapter 4 . 11/12/2004
This chapter is not up to your usual standard, even though it is far better than the vast majority of prose posted on this site or anywhere else I am aware of. I can think of two reasons why you may not have taken the time and effort to apply your customary finishing gloss: Nanowrimo and the re-ascendency of the kakistocracy. Either is a sufficient excuse for your failing to reach the level we expect of you and the two together are convincing.

The unique reason you offer for Nooj's failure to lay violent hands upon himself is compelling. I confess such a thought had never occured to me. Thank you. I may steal a part of your idea (and will give you full credit.)

However, there remain two plot problems which trouble me. Are we to believe Nooj wandered around the travel agency for days with an untreated, stinking, dangerously infected wound? One must hope Rin has access to a Summoner willing to make house calls. And you have indicated the lad still needs the help of a stick of some sort to walk. Without his left hand, how can he grasp his crutch? In my experience, the rigid support is required on the side of the damaged leg. Is this an oversight or have you experience to the contrary?
RaichuTec chapter 4 . 11/7/2004
Ah. My apologies for not reviewing again sooner after the additional chapters went up. As usual, I'm still in love with your prose and the flow of your stories from one moment to the next. I'm also tickled to read about Rin's motivations, finding him to be a right bastard sometimes, and generally likeable others. As always, I'll be looking forward to further installments.
Nodalec chapter 4 . 11/5/2004
*gets out the Al Bhed translator* Is Ku cfymmuf vena really a phrase they use? or did you just make that up?

Great chapter, as usual!