Reviews for The Stag and the Dragon
Temple Cloud chapter 20 . 7/12
Thank you for this story - it was well worth re-reading, even if I'm not allowed to comment on the same chapters more than once! One minor point that amused me is that Vernon Dursley apparently believes that the British Empire is still a thing. (Well, okay, there are a few places round the world that are British territories, but it's not as if we're a major world power!) The old joke about who reads different British newspapers ('The Times is read by those who run the country, the Financial Times is read by those who own the country, the Sun is read by those who don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big boobs,' etc) sometimes comments that right-wing papers are read by those who think we should still have the British Empire, and far-right papers are read by those who think we still do have it. Vernon Dursley is evidently in the latter category!
Temple Cloud chapter 19 . 7/12
Yes! Dudley redemption - a lot more dramatic than in canon, where the nearest he gets is admitting, 'I don't think you're a waste of space. After all, you did save my life.' (Though as Harry points out, coming from Dudley that's as good as 'I love you.') I like the way that you're developing Dudley's character, before Rowling did.

I know a patronus is described as 'corporeal' if it has a defined shape instead of just being a wisp, but I hadn't realised that they were solid enough to connect with material objects. Mostly, wizards use them for fighting against dementors (needing spiritual energy rather than physical force) or sending messages (whether by talking, or just being seen, like Snape's doe patronus guiding Harry to the sword of Gryffindor). If they were capable of pushing material enemies out of a window, you'd think wizards would call on them more often in times of danger. Oh well, this is AU.

And at the point where this story was written, we hadn't been told about Voldemort having seven horcruxes, but if Voldemort could be permanently killed by something as simple as stabbing him, the wizards wouldn't be still trying to deal with him in the 1990s. I'll assume that, after Harry destroyed the diary, Dumbledore realised that there were likely to be several more horcruxes, tracked them down and in this version managed to destroy them without fatally injuring or poisoning himself (especially if he'd talked to Kreacher), but perhaps, although he knew that there was a link between Voldemort and Harry, he didn't realise that Harry was actually a horcrux.

I suspect that both both Voldemort and Palpatine might turn out not to be as dead as they look - room for a sequel? I once read a fairly dark AU (though ultimately with a happy ending) in which the horcrux in Harry was NOT destroyed, and Snape, waking up after several years in a coma from being bitten by Nagini, finds himself the slave of a crazed dark!Harry who is developing into the next Dark Lord, refuses to believe that Snape was a loyal member of the Order of the Phoenix, and is determined to punish Snape forever, for everything. Thankfully, Harry's friends, who know that Snape is innocent and also know that deep down there is still good in Harry, are working on a way to break the curse on Harry, and in the meantime regularly asking to 'borrow' Harry's slave in order to give him periods of respite from being tortured.
Temple Cloud chapter 18 . 7/12
"If only Snape could see this," Vader said disdainfully. "His favourite student has fallen to the Dark Side." Which, of course, is what will happen in canon, too, and Snape is powerless to prevent it, because he can't explain to Draco why becoming a Death Eater is a bad idea without revealing that he, Snape, ISN'T on Voldemort's side any longer - and so the most he can do is to save Draco from the corrupting experience of murdering Dumbledore by killing Dumbledore himself.

Going back to this story, though - oh dear, Draco is naive enough to believe that HE is the one Emperor Palpatine wants as a replacement for Darth Vader? Get a grip, boy! Why would he pick you as anything more than a junior trainee Inquisitor, when he's got Voldemort? Then again, Voldemort is too old and experienced and arrogant to regard himself as Palpatine's apprentice - they're just temporary allies until one of them stabs the other in the back. (Metaphorically speaking, that is - actual stabbing is unlikely to be effective, given that Voldemort has horcruxes and Palpatine has ways of transferring his soul into a cloned body.)
Temple Cloud chapter 16 . 7/11
It's been a while since I first read this story, so I'm pretty sure there was a reason that I've forgotten, but I wonder why the Imperials would bother sending an important admiral to recruit Dudley? Okay, he's a lot more muscular and probably has better trained reflexes now that he's started training as a boxer, rather than just being a fat lump, but he's still basically just a thick kid with no particular talents other than bullying smaller children, not to mention being a spoilt brat. Yes, the Imperials might feel that they can use his aggression and (as far as they can see so far) lack of conscience, but there must be plenty of aggressive, impressionable teenagers all over the galaxy to be recruited, preferably orphans who don't have coddling parents. Recruiting magically talented children of Death Eaters as Inquisitors is a way to keep their parents as allies (unless the recruits are treated harshly and complain to their parents), but why bother recruiting a muggle child whose father works for a drill-making company?

So I suspect that this is more to do with wanting to use Dudley as a hostage/bait in order to put pressure on Harry. Much as Harry loathes his cousin, he isn't going to abandon him if he sees Dudley being tortured or threatened with death. But of course, Vernon and Petunia are so proud of Dudley that it won't occur to them to wonder about this, and Dudley thinks it's all a game and is too immature to understand what he's letting himself in for.
Temple Cloud chapter 13 . 7/11
I love the way the receptionist at the Ministry of Magic is so calm and unflappable - yeah, there's a Sith lord turning up to investigate claims that another Sith lord is enabling a dreaded and supposed dead Dark wizard to take over the Ministry, normal sort of request, issue four visitor badges...
Temple Cloud chapter 9 . 7/11
'Do not mention what you have learned to anyone.' It's a bit late for that, isn't it? Vader has to accept that much of the muggle world on this isolated backwater planet, and wizards from a muggle background, know probably more about him and at least one version of a possible future that awaits him than he knows himself. If he hadn't been so stung by the accuracy of what Harry had said, he could probably have brushed it off with some remark about, 'Do not believe all that you see in vids, young one,' but if he accepts that Earth people's perception of him is pretty much accurate - he really, really needs to rethink his life.
Temple Cloud chapter 7 . 7/10
I wonder what is going on in the dynamic between Snape and Vader? After all, Vader, far more than most Earthly wizards, should be able to sense that, although Snape is someone who had turned to the Dark Side, he had also turned back to the Light, and that, while he isn't a nice person, he isn't actually evil. I don't know whether Snape senses anything about Vader, but probably, apart from being jealous that the new Defence Against Dark Arts teacher is someone who is even better at being the tall dark sinister character than Snape himself, he is worried that knowingly allowing a Sith into Hogwarts is even more insanely dangerous than knowingly allowing a werewolf in (or unwittingly allowing teaching posts to followers of Voldemort). He has had to deal with a number of colleagues acting suspiciously who turned out to be up to no good (not to mention children possessed by Voldemort unknowingly carrying out his orders), and under the circumstances, I can't blame him for being paranoid.
Temple Cloud chapter 5 . 7/9
Vader has a remaining flesh-and-blood hand in this story? This is more AU than I realised!

I'm surprised that Harry was so surprised at the concept that they have innate magic within them. After all, most magical children display evidence of involuntary wild magic before they get their wands - and, in the case of muggleborns, before they know that they are magic or that magic exists. Children who hadn't displayed evidence of magical powers by the age of eleven would be unlikely to be admitted to Hogwarts. For fans of other fantasy, from Star Wars to much of Diana Wynne Jones' work, especially the Chrestomanci Chronicles, this leaves the implication that there might be lots of children who have latent magical abilities which haven't been recognised, either because there is something preventing them from using their magic, or because their magic is of a different kind from the wizarding magic taught at Hogwarts and therefore is overlooked.
Fallingraptor chapter 3 . 11/16/2021
Dearth Vader and Honor in the same sentence? Are we talking about the same guy destroyed a city to lure out 1 Jedi? Or the guy that murderd his best friend because he was “too close”?
Child of Dreams chapter 11 . 8/2/2021
Hermione may have seen the movies, but said movies were based off of the books by George Lucas...
I find it very hard to believe that the Gryffindor Bookworm and Insufferable Know-it All wouldn't have read said books at least once...
Guest chapter 1 . 7/7/2021
It's physically impossible for this to not be a parody.
Child of Dreams chapter 21 . 4/26/2021
I love it!
Child of Dreams chapter 17 . 4/26/2021
C3PO and R2D2...
Child of Dreams chapter 11 . 4/26/2021
Hermione really needs to learn that things aren't black and white, especially where Vader's concerned...
rebecca-in-blue chapter 21 . 3/29/2021
I can believe that this story must have been *very* challenging, but you pulled it off so well that you almost made it look easy! I have really, really enjoyed reading every bit of it. I'm sad to see it end because this chapter really left me wanting to see more of Sirius and find out how Harry's summer wit the new-and-improved Dursleys goes. Really wonderful work - I'll be sharing this at my forum. :)