Reviews for October
Jiltanith chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
I reviewed the companion story back in 2005, so I couldn't review it again, but I think I still can here, and I _like_ this incarnation . . .

It says (tbc) at the end of Halloween! I'm still watching for the continuation, I haven't given up!
Anthonia Rex chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
*happy sigh* Ah, I love this fic. It's probably my favorite Saiyuki-reincarnation fic of all time, with its subtle humor and engaging mini-plot. Also, Mexican-Sanzo was simply inspired. (Now THAT'S something I haven't seen before.)
zan chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
hello I only just found this piece of fic. s i'm relatively new here! This is a well thought out, well paced one shot. Yay! ST, TZ and even Outer Limits gets a mention..not forgetting Wodehouse and Graves as well. In the sapce of one day I have read it twice and is now bookmarked as a favourite.. so no doubt will read it again. Thank you very much for a lovely piece. Everybody has already mentioned who's who so I won't try to get any extra points, but I actually tagged Li Touten as Tenpou's colleague who propositioned him! not that's just me! And though I've not read any Wild Adapter I have just got my very own copy of Sugarcoat.. The artwork & illustrations are just dreamy. Sigh! But I digress. ONce again, I thak you and pleasant dreams. O-yasuminasai.
Wynjara chapter 1 . 12/4/2004
A fantastic world you made.
Me-Nuriko chapter 1 . 12/4/2004
Unusual I must say. A Hakkai/Gojyo fic that never mentions the names Hakkai or Gojyo. _~

Heh, in every incarnation Hakkai helds the upper hand, and poor Gojyo can only follow.

Sweet in it's own way. Long, for a one chapter story, but to me that's a good thing.

So, yes, of course I liked it.
incandescens chapter 1 . 11/13/2004
Madder for Red Boy. :)

And that is a very, very nice piece. Glorious dialogue. Lovely writing.
ChaosD-X chapter 1 . 11/4/2004
Sweet and throughout, and throughout some more, and naturally I can't get through all the politics here though not quite sharing Gojyo's assessment of the history stuff. But for the Star Trek part, that is.

PS. *checks her watch mournfully* You think you can guess it? No, it's 5am. Everything else to be said I hope your _smart_ readers've said already.
authorialintent chapter 1 . 11/2/2004
I tried not to gush, but you mentioned Wodehouse.

Anthey Oom has a link to Emerald Eyes on her author page, where you can get Wild Adapter scanlations. Go and love.

You've been to Tsuki, too? Isn't she amazing? Four-ish words: squinty post-coital KenTen.

Things I adored (I'll skip much, for brevity):

What a Caesar-y Number Salad you've concocted for Tenpou. I've this image of Kenren subjugating the Gauls...

Santos Dorado. In a halo. "It's Tough to Be a God..."

The flirtation and the subtext. So. Lovely.

As always, your phrasing.

full Teacher!Tenpou/CIA!Tenpou *swoons quietly*

Did you intend Goujun to be the influential superior? Or am I reading too much into that?

Jean *snerk* on the PTA.

Youkai race riots.

Er, you know what, I do believe I'll cut it off here and actually go to class. Was it "The Purloined Paperweight"? I assume Tenpou's read all the Jeeves already...
viciouscallisto chapter 1 . 10/31/2004
i loved it! loved it!good job!
addictedtomarbles chapter 1 . 10/29/2004
I loved this. It's a really good well-written one-shot and well-captured with good detailing work

Also because I read it three times at work (waiting for the photocopier to finish) I'm gonna have a shot at reading into the names and stuff. Joseph Sand is named because of the "jo" in Gojyo and his orignal name in the legend was Friar Sand. Octavian Augustus is named because Octavian derived from the word 8 and Hakkai 8, Augst is also the eighth month but (the photocopier was going for a very long time) in the Roman calendar their August was actually September and September is Hakkai's birthday. Lillian is Lirin (very very very bouncy martial arts replaced by gymnastics, I liked that) Guy Madder is thusly named because of the 'Gai' in Kougaiji and Madder is because of the hair colour (Madder is a kinda dark reddy, mahogany brown colour in my paintbox). Do I get a sweetie?
silvermuse89 chapter 1 . 10/25/2004
This was very well-written and interesting, even though I still can't imagine the Saiyuki characters in the 70's. Also the "world" they are in, isn't exactly our "world" is it, since Hakkai/Tavy mentions youkai? I like that Hakkai is a teacher/secret agent but why are Sanzo/Santos and Gojyo/Joe owners of a clothing store? The part about Sanzo dressing up as an angel for Halloween is hilarious _. Haakai is named Octavias August because Hakkai means eight times and August is the 8th month. Also Octavias, also known as Augutus was the Roman Emperor whom the month of August is named after. Am I correct?

Great job on this fic, it's one of the best Saiyuki AUs I've read. I can't wait until the next part is up!
Historical chapter 1 . 10/25/2004
Okay, so I lied. I'm reviewing this now because it won't leave me alone. -.-;;

I'd cue the fangirlsqueeofglee! (tm), but it deserves more than that. The intricacies of it all just bowl me over. Everytime I read this, I find something new, and I have no idea how I could possibly point out all them out. This just blows me away, not because of the fact that it /is/, but because of the fact that it's so simple, yet so damn /complex/ at the same time. But I guess that's the whole point of reincarnation.

Some of the names I got right off the bat (Joe - oh, I /know/ you didn't just name him that - and Santos), and some took some real thinking. And Octavian! I don't know what's worse, a Caesar or a saint. Somewhere in the universe, Tenpou is getting a kick out of all this. Or maybe he's gagging. My dear, if there was ever a reason to be afraid of stepping into your head, this would be it.

I admire you for the setting. 1970s? If it were me, I would have done it about four or five years earlier (*cough*), but you pulled it off so well. The mentions of youkai keep all of this somehow connected to the Saiyuki universe, and I love the fact that you brought Kou, Doku, and Lirin into this, too.

And, just, wow. I can't wait for the next.
A Fruitbat chapter 1 . 10/24/2004
I love this! I really appreciate the 70s details. An interesting alternate history take. Nicely low-key romance too.
KaKa chapter 1 . 10/24/2004
You are evil Nightfall. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why Guy¡s last name is Madder and finally GOT IT.! Alright, the name game now. Octavian derives from the Latin word ¡§octavus¡, meaning ¡§eighth¡, August is the ¡§eighth¡ month, and Hakkai means ¡§eight renunciations¡ in Chinese. The ¡§Sha¡ in Sha Gojyo means ¡§Sand¡ in Chinese. Santos is certainly Sanzo. Jean is ¡§Jien¡. Lillian is ¡§Lirin¡. So it leaves Guy Madder, who is Kougaiji! ¡§Gaiji¡ means ¡§child¡ in Chinese and a child is also a guy _ . ¡§Kou¡ is ¡§red¡ in Chinese and Madder is a natural ¡§red¡ dye! Serious points for me!

Thanks so much for your contribution to our challenge but I must admit that you caught me off guard. Yes, I knew it¡s going to be a 70s fic but I never imagined it to be something so ¡§America in the 70s¡! I have to do a bit of searching in the internet to know what happened in Kent State in 1970. It gave me headache and stomach-ache and toothache when I thought of the amount of translator¡s notes I¡ll need to put down for our Chinese readers. Evil evil Nightfall. BUT, I LIKE THE STORY VERY MUCH! I couldn¡t help giggling when I came to ¡§I take it back. You are subtle.¡ I like the way you described how they tested the waters. The uncertainties that surround a new relationship are always fascinating. Looking forward to the Halloween addition! And I¡m having serious FUN doing the illustrations. Oh the 70s costumes¡K
Jamaica chapter 1 . 10/24/2004
Oh wow. Hot. Insightful. There should be a whole lot more Saiyuki AU's, in my opinion. Great story. Kudos!