Reviews for Frère Jacques
Tuulikki chapter 1 . 5/14/2013
I don't know if you ever even read these reviews anymore, but... it's in the middle of the night and I was checking my old list of favorites, and when I saw this one nostalgia hit me, hard. Had to read this.

Back when I first read this over eight years ago (eight years? Has it really been that long...) I said that this was creepy. It's still creepy. Especially in the middle of the night. But I still like it. So, thanks again, for once upon a time writing this for me.

...and it might be because it's so late, but I was suddenly very amused of the idea of Kaiba singing "din din don"...
Donteatacowman chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
Ever heard Jonathan Coulton's song "Creepy Doll"? This reminds me a lot of it...

Thanks for the lyrics; I always forget the "Sonnez les matines" line.

"The dog had started this—the dog would finish it—he would kill it...this demented childhood friend."

What is it with Kaiba and dogs? :D

"He walked over to the window, opened it, and, taking careful aim, hit a pedestrian with the music box. Good riddance to them both."

Hahaha, to whom, the box AND the random pedestrian? Geez, Kaiba's a sociopath! XD
PhaedrusWolf chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
Wow, I haven't heard Frere Jacques in minor key, but I'm not sure I will be able to listen to it the same way regardless, at least for a while. Very good, very creepy, and I learned some stuff to boot. I liked how you portrayed Kaiba's relationship with Mokuba. And while I don't think I can say I'm entirely sure what Fido was, it didn't seem that confusing to me, the idea was conveyed well.
randomreviewer chapter 1 . 2/15/2007
So...the ghost of "brother John" tries to kill children and bring himself back with the toy? Or is the funeral for the childhood of Seto and Mokuba? I'm confused here.
Becky chapter 1 . 11/29/2005
Creepy! I think my favorite line was "like a huntsman," I really started paying attention to what I was reading after that. I think I need to read it again because I got Frere Jacques stuck going through my head up until Kaiba was taking the dog away to hide. :) Okay, I didn't miss anything, I thought maybe I missed some signs of unrest from Mokuba that led to the removal of the dog. Cool scene at the hospital, too, though a little confusing. There are three coffins, so is one the kid Fido used to belong to, some unknown dead kid? Weirdness, an evil evil music box. :) Very nice story, nicely written, nice creepiness, very cool overall. And thanks for the link to the music, I don't know if I find it creepy exactly, but oft repeated by my little brother might make it creepier. :)
Rosemary Greene chapter 1 . 8/17/2005
I like the irony in this, I also really like how you tied it in with Seto, him being a gamer himself.

That dream sequence really creeped me out. I assume from reading it, that sealed coffin repersents Seto as a child.

The one who loved the toys, along with Mokuba; however, as time went on, they disregared these toys and went on to bigger things. And they, the rejected were having a funeral for them both. Yet, only Mokuba remembers the old toys, which is why the music box, and that really creepy dog was bought.

In the end, Seto is laughing because he overcame it, just like everything else, and that fantasties will not consume him...or I could be making that up.

One thing that could be different could be the name. In Japan, the common name for dogs is Jon. Might make it creepier in my opinion, but that's just nitpicking.

Great story the suspense was well kept, and everything flowed with the plot. Your sense of irony was excellent.

I loved it.

~Rosemary Greene
Alca99 chapter 1 . 7/23/2005
i don't get it...
Garowyn chapter 1 . 5/26/2005
Quite creepy, but good.

[joke at a time like this?]

As far as I know, shouldn't the J be captilized.

["You the toy, is all," she answered.]

I don't really get the sentence. Perhaps I missed something but is that the way it is supposed to be written?

[roomCbut]

Just a small error. Happens all the time when uploading, unfortunately.

Like I said, very creepy! *shudders*
Cymoril Avalon chapter 1 . 4/28/2005
Wow, that was REALLY creepy.

BTW I think it's dormez-vous. I seem to remember that commands in the inverted form like that are held together by a -. But it's been years since I took French.

Damn. WTF was going on? That was GOOD!
Silently Broken chapter 1 . 2/12/2005
OMG! O.O This is one of the best horror fics I've seen in a long time. Please write more horror fics! .
suko chapter 1 . 1/7/2005
halo! kohaku recomended this one, so i read it! its good! i like it! creepy though o.O hehe ;
HollisterK chapter 1 . 1/1/2005
(OO) *stares at cookie*...

() this was so freakishly awesome, flaed! you are definitely a person of many talents... It's amazing! () this fic had me laughin' ... and then it just had me plain scared out of my wits... ( ) *clings to teddy bear*...

() my english class is studying irony... but somehow, it doesn't seem all that bad anymore... XD

() just thought i'd leave ya a little note tellin' ya that i thought this fic was most definitely one of the best ones i've read. . . you're stories just keep getting better and better!

angelkohaku
Lluvia-the-Wolfgirl chapter 1 . 12/20/2004
yay for confusingness. and kaiba acting nuts(then again, he's always acting nuts). and a really creepy ending(never thought i'd see ones of those coming from you, bye the bye. i'm not complaining though_)
Wolfy chapter 1 . 11/2/2004
Still too lazy to login.

...Well, that was odd.

And creepy. And yet cool. _

I liked it... *shivers* Creepy creepy creepy... *sideways glance at the ceramic poodle figurine she found at an antique store* ._. DON'T HURT ME, POODLE!

Dangit. Now you've gone and made me all paranoid...

AH! JACK WILL PROTECT ME! *brandishes Doberman Pinscer(or however you spell that) plushie* *brandishes a weasel, otter, and various other dog and fox plushies, just for good measure*

I ought to be going to sleep now... ._. Meep. I'm gonna have some odd dreams...

Thumbs up for the highly creepy fic, Flaedy-Flaed!

._. Meep...
Myaow chapter 1 . 10/30/2004
Oh, man. I listened to Frere Jacques in minor when I came home from the medieval festival, and it was SO! DARN GOOD! WOW! SU!

. Oh, but this was good! Creepy, but good!