Reviews for The Meaning of Joy
emptyword chapter 1 . 9/2/2005
I'm really impressed with the historical accuracy in here as well as how well you've managed to stick to Watsuki-sensei's characterizations and even incoporate some canon scenes. This is definitely a treasure for the RuroKen-made history buff. ;)

"Tuberculosis. They called it Kekkaku. The name itself paints a vivid picture of the victim coughing. Ke. Kka. Ku." This line, among others, really amused me. I'm not sure it was supposed to? But it was an interesting twist to things.

One thing I particularly loved here was your Ikeda-ya scene, the stilted lines describing Okita's descent into unconsciousness. Powerful and fluid.

As for suggestions to improve, I notice that you switch tenses a lot, which sometimes gets in the way of the reading. It might be something you want to go through and pick out.

on the whole, great job with this fanfic! There really should be more Okita fics out there. He's quite a character. And you've explored that excellently.
Kree-chan chapter 1 . 8/13/2005
wow! This is a great story! I'm defeantly adding this to my favorites! _

Okita forever!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 7/26/2005
Very nicely done. Good use of historical detail and an excellent rendition of what Okita went through when he learned he had TB. I was really impressed that you chose to end it on a hopeful note, with Okita bravely accepting his fate and going on cheerfully in spite of it. It was much more uplifting than ending on a dark, angsty note. Thanks for writing such a cool story!
HikaruOfArrow chapter 1 . 4/12/2005
awesome
hfkhan23 chapter 1 . 3/29/2005
I think im going to cry! It was so heart warming!
M.Kasshoku chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
You've done some wonderful writing here. Okita's state of mind came through very clearly, both the depression and the eventual rebound he experienced. It makes me like Souji more and more. This is such a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Take care.
Velvet Footsteps chapter 1 . 2/5/2005
I'm surprised you do not have more reviews; you certainly deserve them. _

You have a unique style of writing that really draws the reader into the piece. The historical references you made were very interesting and informative. I also liked how you made the thoughts fragmented during the fight scene. It was realistic in that people would not have much time to have complete thoughts.

Though the story had a sad overtone, I loved the ending. It's great that you are able to give depth to a character without having to use many words to give an explanation for everything.

I thoroughly enjoyed your writing and hope to see more of it. _
Moineau chapter 1 . 10/31/2004
*applauds* Very well written! The thoughts were very real, and though he wasn't given much screen-time, Okita was very tangible here- really a nice read!
Charmed Wolf chapter 1 . 10/31/2004
Pretty cool...I like the story of Okita, I like Okita, the story is pretty well written. Keep up the good work!