Reviews for Walking After You
EeveeMe chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
Hi! I don't usually read stories this short. But ir war in the .ORG list. I really like it. ...

Well, just wanted to let you know that..

Bye.
Kurisuta1 chapter 1 . 8/26/2010
Took the long way around but they got there.

Good story, love the simplistic style of the writing and the little bits of dialogue are always dead on.
Sailor-Lit chapter 1 . 5/16/2007
I like it
Golden Doodle chapter 1 . 1/14/2007
cute. my favourite bit was when rory walked into the kitchen and jess was flipping pancakes. "uncle jess! flip!" ah, can't beat a guy flipping pancakes. especially jess.
TogetherWeCan chapter 1 . 11/9/2006
I fell in love with yet another story. You know, you're a good writer. I love the way you write.
SmartassChef14 chapter 1 . 1/22/2006
Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy!

This little story o' yours made me very Happy!

CarebearKara chapter 1 . 9/30/2005
This is great! I loved it.
music4mysoul chapter 1 . 7/29/2005
Oh wow, this was great. Jess was being so supportive and he didn't fail Rory and he seemed very happy for her when she got married. He was such a good guy and he deserves to get the girl(s) in the end! Amazingly done!
Certifiably Insane chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
aw! That was brill! A really fresh way of writing! Greggs an ass and Logan too! Great job!

xx

Kat
Arianna555 chapter 1 . 5/1/2005
I'm doing something!

I can't believe I hadn't reviewed this yet...actually, I definitely can. But my procrastination is getting worse all the time. Sigh. It needs to be stopped. ;) Anyway.

This is so, so wonderful.

"You look good in a tux."

He looks up from his spot on the bridge and gives her a smirk. "Nice dress."

I love how you started it here, with this conversation right away. The whole story is picking these essential scenes to show 'us' their relationship, and you don't waste any words in any of this. All of it is exactly what we need to know, just enough. I love that you jumped right to this and it makes perfect sense. It's not rushed at all, it's not faked, it doesn't ever seem unnatural. The basicbasic idea (just, them meeting after L/L) has been done before, but this is very different from any other. This is just the way it is. It's interesting, it's original, it works. Plus that start immediately makes you want to read more.

She rests her head on his shoulder. "Can I tell you secret?"

"Always."

"I miss you."

I love this part. So much! It's absolutely perfect. And like Becka said... I can picture this scene, see Rory and Jess sitting there and her telling him she misses him, and his "Always." Nobody could say that like Jess.

"Yeah... I don't know if I miss you in a romantic sense... I think part of me does..." she rambles a little. "Most of me just misses you."

"Huh."

Making something go on and on...while it can be absolutely fantastic-at least for me, that's an awful lot easier than it is to find...I hate to use this phrase the six billion times I have already, but "the right" scenes, the right words. Everything in this fic is needed and that is so, so cool. I love the pace of it...which, having read this yesterday while listening to the song, fits perfectly with it, by the way.

I almost picture this whole thing as a video in fic form...it goes quickly reading, it goes quickly in your head, it's planned so carefully but it doesn't seem that way at all. The scenes almost 'fade' into one another. They fit just right. Flash of them agreeing to be friends, Logan standing her up, Rory getting married, Rory having a baby, Gregg leaving...and Jess following her every time. *smiles* It makes so much *sense*, and that's not something that should ever be underrated.

He kind of hates it but there's nothing he can do.

He moves on.

I think these may be my favorite lines.

"He kind of hates it but there's nothing he can do." That screams Jess.

When she wakes up in the morning, the couch he slept on is neat once more. There's a thank you note and a box chocolate candy sitting on the coffee table.

She smiles.

Ah, I love this.

It seems almost like there's a pattern...in the fic, in each of these scenes you show us. Like...a meter? Up, level, down, up... Maybe that's just me? But even if it is, it's awesome. It works so well!

I love this style for this, and I'm not saying that for any reason other than that I DO. The multi parters of R/J getting back together when L/L get married have been done, and the R/J tension fics are always being done (and I adore those of course), but this is just...

The *basics*. The way it could be, the sort of thing that is so often avoided just because it is the way it could be. And this rapid pace is exactly what's needed for this. [[I have a feeling I'm gonna think of this perfect phrase to describe what I mean right after I click 'submit review', because I have this exact idea in my head and I'm not sure I'm making it anywhere near clear, lol.]]

This is a wonderful happy reminder...There isn't always something that doesn't work, not even with Rory and Jess:

"Rory..."

"Jess..."

"I love you."

*smiles*

(Back to going in order now.)

"Jes!"

He laughs a little. "I'm not wearing a dress, Rory!"

I can literally see all these R/J scenes and aw...I. Want. This. On TV.

Or even if not on TV. ;) This is so wow!in character.

She spots him at the reception and bum rushes him. "I got married!"

He nods and hugs her. "You did."

"Dance with me, Diner Boy!"

I love this fic. I LOVE THIS FIC.

Working fast."

"I want a girl," Rory tells him as she takes a sip of her water.

I love that she stayed in contact with him. I love...once again, that it all makes sense. You don't have to 'tell' us that there's tension when there is or that there isn't when there isn't, because you define Rory and Jess' characters so well.

If you drew this out, maybe you'd need more of Gregg, but here, even if he is a plot device, it's better because of that fact. He isn't supposed to be more/as much of a *character* as the two of them are, not for this. This is supposed to be about Rory and Jess. "If you walk out on me, I'm walking after you."

The older man stops and glares at Jess, who is reading his mail for the fourth time. "What is that?"

Jess grins. "Katina Lorelai Simon's birth announcement."

His editor looks at him as if he's crazy.

Another candidate for favorite.

Another very, very competitive candidate.

"Because."

"Rory..."

"Please? You're pretty much my only remaining guy friend and Gregg's sister is the godmother, so I get to pick the godfather, and-"

"Okay!" Jess caves. He chuckles a little. "I'll do it!"

Hopefully, it won't be annoying if I state for the third time that I can imagine all these scenes perfectly.

Because I can. And I think that's awesome.

I always love your grownup!Jess.

He reads to her, and let's her watch TV while he writes. He cooks food for her, and she seems happy. He doesn't have a lot of experience with small children, and Katty is only two. He does the best he can.

The way you wrote this is fantastic. The transitions here...work perfectly, and somehow you get their characters and the idea of the whole scene across in these few lines.

Aww.

"We're going to read them tonight."

"All of them?"

"All of them."

So I changed my mind, this definitely is getting on TV.

Jess gives her a grin. "Morning, Sunshine."

She merely stares.

Katina tugs on Jess's pant leg. "Uncle Jess! Flip!"

Jess nods, still not taking his eyes off of Rory, and flips the pancake.

*grinning*

I love Jess and Katty. I love Jess and Rory. I love Uncle Jess staring at Rory while he flips Katina's pancakes. I love that Lorelai called him and that this all fits the beginning idea of the fic SO WELL. I love this...dynamic you have for all of them, what works and what doesn't, I guess I mean? I can't get over how much sense this makes. Does that sound insane?

Rory grins at this prospect. "I miss snow."

"You're your mother's daughter."

She grins more. "I am."

This scene is so great. I love that he knows her. And that there never needed to be...well... You say Jess went through failing relationships but he comes out to CA for Rory and he hasn't screwed himself up and for once she needs his help. Which he can do.

Katina makes lots of friends at Stars Hollow Elementary and invites them all over for her birthday, along with Jess, who gets her a Bjork CD of her very own.

This line! This LINE! AH! (This is a good thing, by the way.) :D

You show so much about Jess/Rory/Katty without needing to explain it all.

"I love you, and I love Katina, and I just..." He deflates as the look on her face becomes much sadder than he's ever seen it. "And... I'm gonna go home."

I think one of the many greatest things about this...all the things Jess says and does are...natural. So *Jess*.

They go out to dinner, and have a good time, though things are a little more heated than usual.

They drive back to Stars Hollow and walk around town.

He watches her blankly. "Huh."

She turns and smiles, and nods for him to follow.

He does.

The ending is PERFECT, and the fic is fabulous, which you should know! Be proud of it! It's definitely one of my favorites of yours (not that I can ever pick favorites).

This is brilliant.
MahliaLily chapter 1 . 12/27/2004
Leigh,

So I was skimming through the titles of your fics, trying to find one to read, as promised, and this one caught my eye. Mostly because I made a video to the same song, so I was intrigued.

I really liked this fic. I admit that, at first, I was hesitant because I tend to like stories with a clear flowing plotline... you know, day follows day... but after a few paragraphs, you sucked me in.

I love how they always found their way back - through dating and marriages and babies and divorces and losses. It's a very hopeful idea... one I hope ASP takes to heart.

As you might recall, I always zoom in on one fairly irrelevant line of every fic I like. It's usually a line people don't notice, just a small moment, but a moment that feels real to me. In this story, it's:

She rests her head on his shoulder. "Can I tell you secret?"

"Always."

That just says so much about their relationship... and I love that I can hear Jess saying "always" in his special Jess way. Not sappy, just matter-of-fact.

But, looking back through the story, I think what most impresses me is how short all of the segments actually were. Because they didn't feel short, because they communicated so much. Each section was a little drabble of a story told perfectly - imparting just enough detail to make its point and yet, in so few words, making me feel.

You rock, Leigh!

So glad I picked this one.

Becka
meghan chapter 1 . 11/13/2004
wow. . great, wonderful, awesome! i don*t know where you get these ideas of urs, but keep them coming! this has got to be one of ur best stories, and i know i say that about practically all of them, but i think this one really IS the best one. i just loved the way it was set up. it was easy to read, yet very powerful. jess was great in it, and katina added a lot to it. rory seemed very in character and of course lorelai was too. but then again, ur characters are always in character. lol.. i wish this could me more then a one parter, but i understand if it can*t be, it would ruin the way you set this story up. but if u really wanted to continue this story, i don*t think you would have much trouble doing so :-). .. please keep all of these fantastic stories coming!
GQSecondAct chapter 1 . 11/9/2004
how did I, like, miss this? It's amazing. So so so so so so so so so so GOOD! It's simple but beautiful and like a timeline that leads them back to exactly where they started. And it shows emotions through simple actions, and how across time they never change.

I loved it.

-molly-
pinktag62 chapter 1 . 11/6/2004
cute lit! i love how they find each other in the end. they know they want each other and they give in at the end! high-five to you! and i love the title! Foo Fighters rox!
coffeechick87 chapter 1 . 11/2/2004