Reviews for The Thing: A Lonely Little Moment of Terror
Perfect Carnage chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Now that is profound and gripping.

-Perfect Carnage
Someone chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Wow. A very chilling picture there.
Not much more I can say; nice.
squierpa chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
You did an excellent job of placing this scene seamlessly into the context of the film. Your references to previous events and verbal exchanges help give some legitimacy to the scene, though I will say that these can be overused. After all, most of your readers are familiar with the movie and won’t need background information reviewed at length. I do understand that many of these details might be bouncing around Blair’s muddled head, though. You portrayed Blair and his thoughts pretty faithfully and were able to chase whatever fanciful mental tangents you wished because he was impaired by sedative drugs.

I liked how you alluded to Blair’s having witnessed the off-screen demise of Bennings, and even presented it as Blair’s reason for wanting to take action. I felt that Blair’s desire to do something more to escape the shed and “save the world” and his ruminations on suicide were a bit at odds. Also, while you show Blair thinking about tying a noose for himself, he is killed by the Thing before he actually does. However in the film, the noose is visible when MacReady visits at one point, so I guess we are to take that as the work of the Thing.

I found the climax of your piece very rewarding. I appreciated what I took to be your nod to the theatrical poster, which featured a blinding light shining in place of a shadowy figure’s face. The idea of the Thing coming to kill Blair in a twisted response to his prayer was a nice touch. I think it would have fit that sense of brooding terror in isolation that pervades the movie. I will say that I would like to see the elements become an even bigger character in this piece. I feel that really accentuating how inhospitable the world outside the shed door was could lend to Blair’s feelings of hopelessness. Bringing the interruption of howling winds and biting cold into the scene could heighten the urgency of Blair’s desperate musings. There is always room for the development of more suspense when trying to match a movie like The Thing, but I feel that you captured a great bit of it in that final image of the visitor’s face splitting as it steps into the shed and closes the door on Blair’s life.
Nate The Ape chapter 1 . 6/24/2007
WOW. This is incredible. This is one of my favorite horror movies, and your captured the wrenching terror of both it and Blair so perfectly it made the hair on my nape stand up-as watching Carpenter's triumph never fails to do. Again, the way you write Blair's utter fear and reeling confusion, like a solitary baitfish in the sea, was very effective.
PadawanMage chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
Not bad. I always wondered how Blair got taken by the Thing. I'm guessing Norris and Palmer were the ones who where there?
Obsidian Productions chapter 1 . 3/13/2005
I find it interesting that you posted this both here and on , a nice entry.