Reviews for Adjustments
cmr2014 chapter 3 . 2/16
There's something about guys who've seen combat, in the military or out. There's just something about having chewed dirt, it don't have to be he *same* dirt...

Thank you for mentioning Pop! I always thought he was a really interesting character.

Speaking as someone with his own nightmares, my heart breaks for Percell.

I remember in the last episode, they had him working with what I thought was a Viet refugee, although it could have been another kind of Asian. (I can tell some of them apart, like Japanese and Koreans, but tvland and Hollywood often use them interchangeably, so I don't remember where in Asia this guy was supposed to be from.) For a guy just back to have to work with someone who so resembles the people he not so long ago was fighting - my heart broke for him then, too.

For all of them, really, who came back to a place that just wasn't the same.
cmr2014 chapter 2 . 2/16
HA! Medals and fruit salad probably do look real colorful to people who don't know what they're seeing.

The shock of coming back and finding out things have changed without you there...*sigh*
cmr2014 chapter 1 . 2/16
More than any of them, I remember this episode. Those who stayed. Those who went home to a home that was no longer quite home. It broke my heart.

That was such a nice detail about the clerk, wondering if he'd been wounded.

"Vietnam was a vicious cycle."
Yes. It was. Terribly so. But any war is. WWII was, only civilians weren't aware of it. And we (Americans) found out with the recent wars what a non-draft government's answer is to manpower problems. Fricking stop-loss.
Why does the human race never learn its lesson?

This has such wonderful details in it! The nurse Ru is thinking of. The mention of El-Tee. And ah, the joys of having to teach FNGs the ropes. I'm a civilian, but I know well the feeling of looking at a new guy and thinking to myself, Was I ever that young and dumb?

Aw, how nice that Percell's made a connection.

The one niggling point I have is there's no separation between the separate experiences of Taylor and Percell & Ru. Other than that - awesome!
MamboKings chapter 3 . 2/6/2008