Reviews for Trading Spaces
talk-ape chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
awww he tallied
Von chapter 1 . 11/16/2006
Ha! So very cute!

I love how youthful he seems here, though the ledger was a sad touch.. I wonder what would happen if Kirsten found it.. would she be more or less generous? Or perhaps she'd just be sneakier about it.. :P :)

Thanks for writing this. It was a pleasure to read.
Ansy Pansy aka Panz chapter 1 . 10/25/2005
hehe such a cute funny story
garnet207 chapter 1 . 9/4/2005
Really enjoyed this story. Good work.
go-sandy chapter 1 . 8/24/2005
I absolutely loved this! It's an utterly amazing piece of work. To keep a reader interested without dialogue for that long is such a talent. The comparisons you used were perfectly placed! Especially the part about actors being safe under the person they play. Brilliant.

The parts where Ryan was convincing himself that he didn't want the chair and desk had me smiling from ear to ear!

And finally, I want to applaud you on this amazingly writtin paragraph that I think every one can relate to:

"After that there were the clothes – solid colors, simple, strong - then the physique – toned, don't mess with me - and then...well, then it got really personal. In quiet moments, he had to acknowledge that there were a lot of internal layers, each one forming a wall between the outside and what he kept buried. Buried from outside view. Some things buried even more deeply, from conscious thought."

Excellent job, once again!
katwoman76 chapter 1 . 7/14/2005
I like this. And it is so typical Ryan.

It's kind of interesting, that he really just got a desk in the poolhouse in the beginning of Season2 than he started all these AP courses.

It's funny for me to look at the small things in Season 2, which show, that he really feels at home with the Cohens now.

The desk and the TV as big items in the poolhouse, a Journey and other posters at the wall, even a new bike.

Small hints, that the poolhouse now is really Ryans room, not just a room, he sleeps in.
Overnighter chapter 1 . 7/12/2005
Somehow, I missed this on the first go-'round.

This was a great story - a really nice piece of characterization, especially of early Ryan.

I love that he likes acting because the script tells everyone how to act - there are no surprises, and he can't be wrong. I think it's very in character that he'd keep a ledger of all his debts - real and imaginary - to the Cohens. And I love the way he had to ease himself into even using the expensive things that Kirsten bought for him.

I really enjoyed this.
forever in a bottle chapter 1 . 12/4/2004
interesting. different. i like it. good job : )

*c*
anon chapter 1 . 11/13/2004
Very well done! I, too, wondered whatever happened to Kirsten's plan to get Ryan a desk. This section was fantastic:

Outstanding characterization and insight! Looking forward to more from you. Thanks!
bonnied chapter 1 . 11/12/2004
Nice little ficlet. I love the idea of Ryan keeping a tally of what he owes unbeknownst to the Cohens. And I love his boyish enjoyment of his new things when he finally breaks down and uses them.
Trinity Day chapter 1 . 11/10/2004
I liked this a lot. Nicely introspective-I especially loved Ryan's thoughts on plays and acting; I found it very in character. And I like the ledger and his concession to using the desk at the end.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 11/9/2004
This is really perceptive and well-written. The idea of Ryan keeping a record of what he owes the Cohens has occurred to me too. I think he would do this-and I wonder what would happen if they found out.
famous99 chapter 1 . 11/8/2004
Before I compliment you and tell you how much I liked this, I'm going to pick a bone. "They weren't Pulitzer prize material, but sometimes he enjoyed not having to think too much." Actually, Art Spiegelman won the Pulitzer for his Graphic Novel Maus: A Survivor's Tale. Since then, there's a Pulitzer category for Graphic Novels. Don't "mock" the medium. (Even though I hate it. I'm just a big advocate, because it promotes reading.)

Back to your story. It was fun to read. You really showed Ryan's gratitude and reluctance to take from them by having him keep a ledger of what he owed them. And the line about not being to quantify everything he owed them pulled at the heartstrings. I'd love to see a follow-up. What would happen if Kirsten or Sandy found the ledger? I imagine sparks would fly.
Christina chapter 1 . 11/8/2004
Great job, I really liked this story I thought you did a great job especially on what Ryan is really thinking when they buy him stuff and what he likes in school
reading chapter 1 . 11/8/2004
This was wonderful! Love the insight into Ryan - and done in such a new way. Loved the spinning in the chair and the rationalization of doing it all for Kirsten. Superb!