Reviews for To Save The Whole
Fortune Zyne chapter 6 . 1/17/2013
This was an awesome story! Well done!
Ysilme chapter 6 . 1/12/2013
Despite loving Tolkien's books since childhood, I'm discovering Tolkien fanfiction only now, since my own acquaintance with fanfiction only happened in 2006 with Harry Potter, a fandom I stayed true so far as far as fanfic goes. Watching The Hobbit kindled in me the urgent desire to dwell in Arda at least on the hand of skilled storytellers, and now I'm in the process of finding my way through the usual spectrum of story quality doubtlessly any given fandom possesses. I must confess that I'm a somewhat demanding reader, looking for good qualitiy writing and storytelling and preferring canon compliancy. So after the first batch of fics one might come across if new to a fandom, this one was the first I found which seemed to be decent at first glimpse, and turned out to be marvellous in the whole. Wonderfully paced storytelling with admirably fleshed-out characters I'm not as familiar with yet as with those from around the end of the third age, but who came beautifully alive in my personal mind movie through your story. In my humble opinion, stories like this one show what fanfiction really is about, and what a wonderful thing it can be. Thank you for a most enjoyable read!

NB: How awesome to meet a fellow Scottish Country Dancer among the fanficcers! *smiles and curtseys*
Your link to your fictionpress profile doesn't work (any longer?), they seem to have changed something. I found it with going to my own profile and exchanging the user-id for yours, though.
Daemith chapter 6 . 1/10/2008
Aw, that was great! I love Idril, she's so sweet. And I just loved the story in general. :D
Lady MSM chapter 1 . 9/27/2007
Interesting story. Idril's way cute, and Maglor's super-cool. I always thought of him as being a bit of a rebel, and so being King of the Noldor would probably seem sorta weird to him
Theo1379 chapter 6 . 12/28/2006
How wonderful to find a story about Maedhros and Fingon that isn't slash! There's way too much of that around. Also, it's unusual to find a story that looks at things from the p.o.v. of the house of Fingolfin - usually, it's seen as an entierely Feanorian tragedy. So it was really interesting to look at it as a family dynamic, rather than a romantic or a political one.

I thought you created some very well-defined characters - they weren't stereotypical, and the main characters actually seemed to develop as the story progressed, which was good.

The amputation was a little graphic! But it needed to be graphic. What happened to Maedhros (like so much else in the Silmarillion) was brutal and horiffic, and if you skirt around that, then you're not capturing the mood of the Silmarillion. Unlike, say, the Hobbit, or even LOTR, the Silmarillion is a dark, brutal and gritty book, and i think stories really need to capture at least a tiny sense of the kind of world these people are living in. So no running and screaming in horror (just don't write anything about Eol and Aredhel...).

So very good over all! Well done.
Darkrin chapter 6 . 3/30/2006
That is truly a beautiful story, making the rader laugh, cry, and feel like they know the characters personally. I think that was one of the best Fingon and Maedhros stories I have ever read, and this comes from one who reads a lot about Maedhros (who I have even given a nickname to). Wonderful descriptions! Also, I don't really think it's too R-rated, just violent. I certainly didn't run away screaming. _

RavenLady chapter 6 . 5/31/2005
As someone else mentioned - where are the Finarfinians?

This is amazing. I've seen Fingon's perspective on Thangorodrim before, but never anything that went into depth about his relationships with his family, and you do it so beautifully. Great to see such a new twist on a well-worn subject. Your twist on the hand scene was interesting; I've never seen it quite so drawn out. Through the whole story, the detailed writing is simply incredible.
Chanra chapter 6 . 2/14/2005
This is, without a doubt, one of the best Silmarillion stories on this entire website. Your characterizations are so very canon that it'd make the harshest Tolkien purist beam with joy. Your discriptions of the conflicting emotions within Fingon are wonderful and can be completely understood. It was such a pleasure to read!

Keep writing, mate!

Unsung Heroine chapter 6 . 1/5/2005
I simply wanted to congratulate you on writing a both highly enjoyable and utterly believable story. It's great to see everything from Fingon's point of view since mostly it's all about Maedhros. I mean, fine, he's the guy who lost the hand, but no one ever thinks of Fingon's feelings. You certainly don't cut off your friend's limbs every day, now do you?

The interaction between Fingon and his father was really done nicely. I always adored Fingolfin, hehe. Actually reading about how he rides off to challenge Morgoth gives me the shivers every single time. I makes me want to do something to make him stop. Anything. Jump in his way, knock him unconcious, shoot Rochallor - which would be really mean since I actually like horses, but, well, I'm getting off-topic.

You also managed to answer something that was always one of my major questions (your, too, as I just have read): Why in all Arda does he take a harp with him to Angband? Why, of course, it was Idril's! Great, really!

Goes on my favorites list...
Annie789 chapter 6 . 1/4/2005
I just realized I never reviewed your last post! I'm so sorry! I really did love your fic. Your portrayal of Maedhros and Fingon's friendship was so wonderful and struck me as something Tolkien would have described. I also love the father-daughter dynamic between Turgon and Idril. It's something we never see, and I love how you developed their characters. I also really liked how, in the end, you showed that even though people are reuniting, the problems are far from over. It seemed very real.

I don't think anything here was gory enough to be R, but it's always better to be on the safe side. I always go up in rating if I'm not quite sure. I cannot wait for you to write more. You're definately one of the better writers I've found here. BTW, have you ever thought about joining HASA? I left my email, and if you are, feel free to contact me and I'll talk you through the process.
Berzerkerprime chapter 6 . 1/1/2005
Sque! The precocious little cutie makes her mark as a highlight again!

Great end to a great story.

Tehta chapter 5 . 12/10/2004
This deserves far more attention than it is getting. Are you aware that stories with an R rating do not show up on the ffn page by default?

Anyway. I am really enjoying your take on The Rescue That Launched A Thousand Fics. I applaud your decision to use Fingon's POV, and to show the effect it has on him. And I do like your Fingon, practical and brave in an appealingly matter-of-fact way. Idril is another particular favourite, and a useful character: her questions and reactions make for an interesting perspective. In all, I enjoy your characters' dignified speech patterns-rather Elvish!-and their refusal to angst too much. I hope to see more Silmfics from you!

One small nitpick, though: according to the Laws and Customs of the Eldar, cooking is generally done by Elven men. (Although the women bake the bread.)
Annie789 chapter 5 . 12/10/2004
You yet again throw the 'typical' things about this story out the window, and do so beautifully. It was wonderful to so Maedhros as looking forward and bent on getting better/living to fight another day. So often, he's depressed and moody after his rescue. And his conversation with Fingon was great. When he's surprised that Fingon is able to forgive him after what he'd done, I was like 'That is so Maedhros!' It really reflected the few things Tolkien told us about him, and watching you expand his character was so enjoyable. And I still love your Fingon. I cannot wait to read the rest of this, but I'm sad that there's only one more post left. Hope you write something else, too, and soon! ;)
Annie789 chapter 4 . 12/4/2004
Okay, so I'm bad and I've taken two days between the time when I read and the time when I reviewed.

I really like how you make everything so realistic. As upsetting as it is to read about Fingon having to remove Maedhros' hand, you made it so much more believable and I liked how it wasn't a *snap* done thing. It seemed more real that it would take some time and cause considerable amounts of pain. I also liked how Fingon wasn't just okay with it all and walking around like nothing happened afterwards. It's good to see his adventure (is that the right word) has an effect on him, as does his decision about Maedhros. It makes the characters so much more 'human.' And I loved Fingolfin. I think most people never develop his character, and here he's a person and not just a prop. His reactions are very true-to-life and he seems like a parent to his kids. Great post, and I can't wait to read the next part.
Arian chapter 4 . 11/30/2004
Oh my gosh, this is so good. It's so vivid! Please post the next chapter soon!