Reviews for Walk No More in the Shadows
Anon chapter 1 . 1/31/2014
I like your happy Faramir in the end.
Blonde Shadowcat chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
Aw this was really cute! Excellently written, though. I simply LOVE your style. Extremely well done. I love the little nuances with Eomer, when you finally figured out that he was just all frazzled because he wanted to meet Faramir! Ahh so funny. Loved it, great job!
Anna chapter 1 . 3/2/2007
Love the story! I hope this isn't a one-shot and that you're going to update! I think the way you potrayed Faramir's character as well as Eomer's was brilliant. Hope to see more interaction between Faramir and Eowyn in the next chapter...
Dimfuin chapter 1 . 11/18/2005
That was a really cute story. I loved your characterization of Faramir, and especially of Eomer. The best parts of your story were the little touches-Eomer's twisted belt, and so on. The ending with Willelmus was hilarious!
Deandra chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
Much of your work seems to be oneshots, so I'm assuming this is also, but the summary rather suggests more to come. I never quite felt like we got the answer to the question you posed there. More could easily follow, though.

Incredibly well-written - a rarity in fanfic writing. Not much to find fault with. One thing that jumped out at me, however, is that twice you indicate Faramir does not have a fire in the fireplace, but there are numerous references to flames. You mention braziers beside his seat in the 3rd paragraph, and perhaps that is where you are envisioning the flames when they are mentioned? Later Willelmus is told to light the lamps, so we know it is not from them.

Other than that one confusing bit, this piece is packed with emotional detail - everything from Faramir's relationship with his father, to his reaction to his new position, to his brother, to his take on the king, to his worries about Eowyn's feelings for him and on.

Some writers have suggested that Eomer would be extremely hostile toward any man seeking his sister's hand, but I think that unlikely. He is nearly 30 years old and would be glad of a good match for her, and Faramir would certainly qualify, especially if his sister showed an interest in the man. But as you noted, he might do a little "testing" of the man to get a feel for him. He and Faramir have had little to no interaction before this so it is only right he would want to take the measure of the man who would claim his sister. That was beautifully expressed in the brief exchange they had. And perfectly in character for a Ranger to notice such a detail as a twisted belt and discern its hidden meaning.

Ah well, I'm running off at the keyboard and all I wanted to do was make a quick review of one story and go to bed. Now, and hour later...

- Deandra
simbelmyrne chapter 1 . 11/16/2005
What a great story! I love the interaction between Eomer and Faramir, and I love your portrayal of Eomer. I can see him - first sombre and serious, but ready to like Faramir and approve. And I like Faramir's enthusiasm at the end, and his total indifference in manner to Denethor's ways.

keep going!
Nonce chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
Loved your take on Faramir here, not the often somber weakling as so many portray him - almost reminds me a bit of Boromir, which would be natural, yet the small glimpse of the Captain General we get here is also surprisingly refreshing.

I liked the clever play between Faramir & Eomer, as well as the comedic exchange between Faramir & Willelmus (SP?). Any chance of a sequel?

Would like to read more of stories from you of Boromir, Faramir, or Denethor - better yet both the brothers or all three!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 12/25/2004
Most enjoyable, I would imagine faramir would find Eomer rather daunting !You convey the sense of frustration over the paper work very well.
klaw chapter 1 . 11/12/2004
I hope there is more
Caroly chapter 1 . 11/11/2004
That was fun. I loved the verbal sparring between Faramir and Eomer. Your attention to detail (ie, the twisted belt) was excellent and really made the scene come alive. The ride should be very interesting. I can't wait for an update!
Anoriath chapter 1 . 11/11/2004
Thank you for the constructive feedback. It's been very helpful. I think you're right. I was concerned about the length of that last bit with Willelmus, but too close to the writing to see it clearly or know what to do about it. I'll probably set this piece aside for a little to let it cool off and then come back and puzzle my way through it. Thanks again!
BKB chapter 1 . 11/11/2004
This is an excellent vignette. Faramir and Eomer sizing each other up is a vein not often tapped in Eowyn/Faramir stories.

However, I think that you might make it a bit tighter. For example, in the last scene with Willelmus, Faramir would perhaps only need to give five orders instead of nine. On the other hand, having only that one small clue to indicate with what haste and agitation Eomer dressed is perfect. After all, "breveity is the soul of wit".
Susan W chapter 1 . 11/10/2004
Quiet an enjoyable read! I do so hope that there will be another chapter to add. The one with Faramir riding out with Eowyn and Eomer. Faramir sure got active with his paperwork upon realizing he was going to have a chance to be with Eowyn. And Faramir's salute to his brother was most excellent. Yep, one can see Boromir watching the young king of Rohan and deciding that he will make a good brother-in-law. I do believe that although Boromir is dead, Faramir would still look to him for encouragement.

Poor Willelmus, he will need a good days rest after being run ragged by a suddenly animated Steward.

Please update!
Lackwit chapter 1 . 11/10/2004
I really liked the first 2/3rds of the story- very well written, with emotion, and with two appealing protagonists. However, although I enjoyed Willelmus, I found the ending interplay between him and Faramir just a little too long to maintain the humor; it interrupted the flow of the story.

Overall, though, an ejoyable read. Great ending lines, too.
Arahiril chapter 1 . 11/10/2004
This was an excellent fic, I must say. My favorite interpretation of the first Eomer/Faramir meeting that I've ever read. Characterization is excellent, and - well, I just loved it.