Reviews for Threshold
Kaiser Washington chapter 1 . 10/28/2008
This was so insightful, man! I just love rhetoric. Hey, that old math teacher is the one we see sitting next to Fujima on the bench in the anime, right?
link55-06 chapter 1 . 1/29/2008
Fujima is such a drama queen. Heh. It's interesting to see how you potray Fujima. Being a basketball player is tough. Fujima managed to be a coach at the same time. I like this story.
Ju chapter 1 . 4/14/2006
This is probably the best Fujima!fic I've ever read.
KnoT chapter 1 . 11/25/2004
I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the best in the Captain's series so far, but it's good. Damn good.

I love how each of the Captain's series has been different, and yet equally amazing in their presenation of characters, developement, and organization. It is simply stunning that your writing seems to be getting better and better each time around.

Like "Fishing," "Threshold" has a great way of unifying the story through the thing about the steps Fujima takes. Even the beginning of the story seems nostalgic and slightly hopeless; the way you described what many view as beautiful in the cherry blossom shower and instead creating an image of something not as pleasant or as beautiful as what some may think really seems to echo the story as a whole- that Fujima's life isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be, no matter how good he gets. The way Fujima never seems to beat Maki, or really take his team to the level he thinks he can.

The introduction between the would-be Shoyo team in the future was stupendous. I really enjoyed how you made them all gravitate towards Fujima, and describe the development of the team as individuals as well as players. The manner in which you made the old coach leave was so befitting, from the reactions to how Fujima finds himself developing into a type of coach himself, is so smoth that I'm still amazed you were able to do it so seamlessly. Fujima really has it hard in that he has to take a minimal role in the game he loves, and you really made it seem like Shoyo could have been that much more successful, that much more powerful, and that much more of a team than the others were if they had the oppurtunity. I think Inoue definitely wanted to convey that, and though he didn't, you certainly did wonderfully in the story.

The match between Toyotama was described very well, from Fujima's knowledege of Minami the Ace-Killer and accepting the hit to his interaction with the old Toyotama coach; it's all just perfect. The whole tone of the story is always hovering around; the hopelessness of Shoyo, the way Fujima knows and accepts the losses that even if I forget it for a brief moment, you can recall it so wonderfully that the story becomes that much more poignant. And the match between Shohoku... just outstanding. I really understood and sympathsized with Fujima at that moment- how you made him shrug off Shohoku at first like all teams did, and when Fujima finally loses yet again, he is accepting and bitter at the same time. Even the inclusion of Sakuragi's words was just so insightful and befitting that I really am amazed how much you can recall and include in the story; you really explore every facet of a character's psyche, and recreate it brilliantly.

The Winter games tournament was a great way to begin to conclude the story. Finally, Fujima gets his chance to shine; and finally, you begin to show the end of the era for guys like Maki and Fujima. Including Ryokufu was a nice touch, and again, it's great to see how much you know of the series. The final game between Hanagata and Fujima was so choke full of emotion that I really, again, have to say I respect your writing to the point of worship; the way they interact, they way Hanagata both accuses and yet understands Fujima... it's all just amazing.

The final sentence about basketball, tying it back into the beginning when Fujima talks about basketball, is a creative and intelligent ending. You definitely showed your terrific writing ability here, and I definitely cannot wait for your next story, because I know that no matter what you write it will be mind-blowingly good.
Yohko-Sakura chapter 1 . 11/20/2004
I have always been fond of Angst stories, and this particular story had given me the reason why it has laways been that way that had evaded me years before.

It is because, angst, of all genres, will give you a view of a character from inside out.

"Threshold" would be a perfect example of how angst should be written. Ideas aren't forced to the character and to the readers themselves, but instead, had let itself be read in itself. Fujima broods, yes, but he broods /narratively/, and each words would mark how the each scene /feel/ for the character. He need not to elaborate how he felt, but rather he /shows/ how he feels through words, whatever that means.

The only thing that irks me is that he takes basketball too hardly like his life depends on it. However, seeing he's such a drama queen in the series, I'll set that aside (nu! Don't kill me fan girls~~*chased by Fujima fans)
Calliope Medina Erato chapter 1 . 11/12/2004
I am glad to read the third installation of the Captains series. The first two are light and funny, especially the Ryonan series. This third one is very heavy with emotion.

There are so many favorite parts in the story but cutting and pasting them all would fill the entire page.

So here's one : At Shoyo, all of the seniors keep playing. It is true. I noticed that Shoyo players are still playing, never giving up especially the older players.

I also like the way you portray Hanagata. Someone who can knock some sense to Fujima.

Kainan's the last one huh? I'd like to see the interaction between Maki and Jin.

Good job as usual.