Reviews for Master Harris
shugokage chapter 17 . 2/11
Wow impressive job on this incredible crossover fic!
Nerfhearder69 chapter 17 . 6/7/2014
Yeah, definitely want to read the rest of this fic. When yah gonna put it out?
mow chapter 17 . 2/18/2014
did... did u diedd ? lol, I see you haven't cause your still faving stories :) maybe just put a note if these are on hold or dead? was a cool story bro :P liked it, different

Illuviar chapter 6 . 8/8/2013
Great chapter!:D
Illuviar chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Nice chapter!
fullhans1 chapter 17 . 7/7/2013
Very good story. But I'm sad that it seems to have been abandoned.
Guest chapter 7 . 2/13/2013
What about free will?! Would Xander deciding to become evil(or at least selfish) and take over the world force the powers to give good a boost or at least remove their restrictions?
sin.nighthawk chapter 17 . 2/12/2013
hope you dont leave this at a dead end
Zhor chapter 17 . 9/21/2012
Why did this have to die back then? It's great.
jabbarulez chapter 17 . 1/21/2012
hot diggity! great story! can't wait for more!

BlackRoseFire chapter 17 . 11/7/2011
Awesome story, I really can't wait until the next chapter. I loved the way that you have added Star Gate SG1. I really can't wait until Samantha and Daniel meet Cortana, and Xander and Jack meet. That will be epic. Ooh... Oz meeting Tealc...
Deadzepplin chapter 4 . 9/24/2011
Damn Warren is a Douche I hope he dies
Deadzepplin chapter 3 . 9/24/2011
Someone definitely should have been all "DON'T go to 4Chan"
Lord of Time chapter 17 . 3/13/2011
great fic, it may be a bit late now but please don't abandon it
Elgin chapter 17 . 11/6/2010
‘Master Harris’ is easily one of the best fanfics I’ve read to date.

There are a lot of reasons why that statement is true, but I suppose the key fundamental reason is probably because you’ve clearly put a LOT of thought and effort into planning ‘Master Harris’ and making sure it’s the best you can possibly make it.

A lot of BtVS crossover fanfics – particularly the YAHFs – tend to essentially be BtVS stories with a crossover character or element in them – essentially rewrites of the canonical episodes. Other crossover fanfics take one or two BtVS characters and transport them to another fandom, with the ‘fic ending up a rewrite of that fandom’s canon to account for a couple of BtVS characters being present. Another popular tactic is to take a bunch of fandoms and mash them together any old how, and the resulting story fails to forge any real ties to the themes and identities of the fandoms in that crossover.

What makes ‘Master Harris’ a real gem of a fanfic is that you clearly have a lot more than one string to your bow. At some points, it is a BtVS story with Cortana and a Spartanised Xander in it; at other points, it’s a Halo story with the Scooby Gang in it; and at still others it’s an impressive hybrid of the two. ‘Master Harris’ retains very strong links with the fandoms that it draws upon, while still managing to form an interesting identity all of its own.

You’ve avoided Marty Stu-ing Xander or ‘bashing’ any of the canonical characters, which is a trap that is very easy to fall into. Post-Spartanisation, Xander still has some character flaws and is far from a perfect person; he’s not always in the right, but he tries his best to do the right thing – which, to my recollection, is pretty much how he was canonically in BtVS Seasons 2 and 3.

You’ve avoided the usual tripwires – the revelation of how Angelus has returned, the debate over whether to destroy Angelus or recast his curse, and similar – very deftly. Plenty of other YAHF ‘fics fall down at those points, and quickly end up becoming a bash-fest and a rant by the author against the canonical characters they dislike.

You handled the argument between Buffy and Xander over killing Warren extremely well. Buffy’s distaste for the death of a human enemy came across as appropriately in-character (rather than over-the-top and setting her up for a Buffy-bash-fest). Meanwhile, Xander’s explanations of his actions and expression of his pain at those actions and their necessity fit his characterisation to a ‘t’.

As for the outcome of the argument… I honestly do not believe it’s possible to improve on that. The argument was a necessary plot point to demonstrate the differences between Buffy and Xander’s opinions, and served as a good illustration of just why they are friends at the end of the day, despite those differences.

The dimensional breaches were an inspired plot twist that I’ve never seen before in a YAHF (in years of silently ‘lurking’, real life permitting). You didn’t overuse them, but rather kept things fresh and interesting with them.

It would have been very easy for you to have taken the easy path and had Xander do things like blow up the Judge; instead, the breaches kept him occupied battling Halo enemies. This gave Buffy and the other Scoobies their own opportunities to shine centre stage in their battles against supernatural threats, and neatly remind the readers that they’re still heroes too.

Too, you fully exploited your dimensional breach plot twist to the fullest – not only did you use the breaches to let groups of Covenant aliens loose in Sunnydale, but you also brought some allies through as well. Not only THAT, but among them was Sergeant Johnson!

Sergeant Johnson battling aliens and demons in Sunnydale. ‘Cool’ seems a woefully inadequate term. ;)

When I was planning my ‘No Fate’ series, one of the things I did was take the first major crossover – namely, the Terminator films – and draw up a list of the key themes, events and so on that made them so iconic. Then, I tried to work as many of those as possible into the first ‘fic of the series.

Now, I don’t know if you consciously did the same thing when planning ‘Master Harris’, but I’m pretty sure that if you were to do so, you’d find that you could tick off everything on the list. By my reckoning, the key themes and elements of the Halo games are the following:

- Spartans – gotta have at least one running around

- Cortana

- Sergeant Johnson teaming up with the Master Chief

- The Arbiter

- The Keyes family (need to have one of them)

- Admiral Sir Terrance Hood

- Warthogs

- Pelicans

- Covenant energy swords

- Covenant aliens – sometimes as enemies, sometimes as allies

- The Halos

- The Flood

- And, of course, plenty of kick-arse combat, with some of it set in space ;)

Also by my reckoning, you incorporated all of these themes and elements into ‘Master Harris’, and very neatly too. This plays a large part in what makes ‘Master Harris’ easily one of the best fanfics online today.

Sparing Buffy the ordeal of sending the newly-restored Angel to hell then running away to Los Angeles was an excellent idea and well-executed. And as for her getting hold of an energy sword – that was a very nice touch, and in-keeping with her character. (Namely, the easiest method of making Buffy happy is give her a shiny new very deadly weapon to play with – erm, I mean, battle the forces of evil with.)

Too, Xander’s reward from the UNSC – a medal and the rank of chief petty officer – was a very nice way to help end his adventure in the Halo-verse, and confirm his Spartan credentials. He may not quite be ‘the Master Chief’, but he is ‘the Chief’; he hasn’t eclipsed the person he became on Halloween, but he’s living up to that person’s legend very nicely.

You’ve also maintained a constant sense of humour throughout ‘Master Harris’, which lends a great deal to the ‘fic’s charisma. Too, certain self-reflexive comments and pieces of dialogue were frankly inspired strokes of genius, such as the exchange below:

SAM: “Actually, sir, it’s not as impossible as you might think. I mean, theoretically there are an infinite number of universes and therefore anything is possible. It’s entirely possible that there exists a reality in which ‘Halo’ is real, or even one where the events surrounding the Stargate are a game or TV show.”

JACK: “Come on, Carter, us on TV? Who would watch that?”

Regarding the future of ‘Master Harris’ – I’m definitely looking forward to future chapters. Xander getting used to fighting on a regular basis without his armour (as opposed to on rare occasions only) should be pretty interesting, and I’m guessing he’ll be unarmoured for at least the first quarter or so of BtVS Season 3. Watching the SGC and Area 51 reverse-engineer the crashed Pelican should be fun… and I’m wondering just what exactly they’ll build with that technology.

Too, I’m curious to see what the Scoobies get up to with their (rather more intact) Pelican in Sunnydale – whether they get detected or caught on camera (or caught on speed cameras?), if they decide to name it, what foes they use it to fight, whether or not Cortana can figure out a way to process regular petroleum so the Pelican’s engines can use it… and I’m guessing letting Buffy get behind the controls would lead to spectacular (if disastrous) results. And I’m guessing that you’re probably going to head off Faith’s ‘descent into darkness’, given that the Scoobies have shown her a great deal of trust so early after her arrival in Sunnydale (and despite her failing to warn them about Kakistos, no less).

Finally, thank you for sharing ‘Master Harris’ with us. It truly is a gem among fanfics, and one of the best reads I’ve had in years. Best wishes, fair skies and ride free!