Reviews for The Wind About to Blow
crazytook chapter 2 . 10/3/2013
So, this story is years old, but man it is a great one! But yeah, heh, like DC would ever actually discuss the rape of a character (esp male) in any sort of meaningful fashion. I wish. But this fic was great!
Princess613 chapter 2 . 8/25/2009
Whew! Good read.
Peace Like a River chapter 2 . 1/4/2008
Thanks for writing this. This may sound weird, but somehow it was just the story I needed today. :-) I loved it.
Nobodyknowsmenow chapter 2 . 7/11/2007
Aw!

I really loved this story, and yes, I do wish a lot of fanfiction writers wrote the comics... :)
kevboy chapter 2 . 9/11/2005
I'm late reading this one also. I've been vocal on boards on my view of the current direction of Nightwing. Up to this point, I've merely considered it a bit far fetched, and far, far too drawn out, without resolution. After reading this, however, I realize how truly awful the current NW plot is, and has been for the past 15 or so issues.

What an incredible resolution, or start to one, of what I consider to be one of the two most important relationships in the DCU (Bruce and Dick. The other is Bruce and Clark). Most try to present Bruce as a pure jerk. They don't know the character, and you have shown him wonderfully here.

I got towards the end of this, and thought to myself what a great NW annual this would have made - tied into the continuity of NW and Batman.
Susan Hillwig chapter 2 . 3/4/2005
Hello, Dragonbat! It's Susiefangirl from the DC boards. Just finished reading both parts of your story - very well done, quite a bit of emotion from Bruce (surprising but good). Wonderful points made - the sort of things you don't think about until someone strings them all together for you.

If I understand the note at the beginning of Pt. 2 correctly, there WAS no second part until it was requested by others? If so, I'm glad they made you do it, although Pt. 1 was good on its own.
Jordan chapter 2 . 1/30/2005
Just a comics fan who lucked into your story. The one thing about Batman that is NEVER realized in this day and age is his incredible compassion. At his core, past the stony exterior, he does what he does because he cares about his common man. He'll protect all life with his own, be it a partner or an enemy, because he values lives. The war games arc, good or bad based on your opinion, would hurt Bats most simply because people died!

The day comic writers wake up and remember that we aren't dealing with a souless machine will be a day long remembered.

You've done a wonderful job in addressing a Nightwing issue that is somehow STILL being tip-toed around the bat-books, you've injected some honest to goodness humanity in Bruce Wayne, and portrayed Dick as a fully independent individual. He's doesn't need to talk to Bruce because of fear, but because of respect for a person who should know the truth. He doesn't necessarily want help, but he has someone who would give it to him anyway. (that goes for BOTH Bruce and Dick btw)

That's the kind of relationship they should have!

At least that's my take on the characters and on what you've written.

Thanks for your efforts is all I can really say.
cmar chapter 2 . 12/30/2004
Nice to see Bruce portrayed as a reasonably perceptive and compassionate person, the kind of person Dick would feel as loyal to as he obviously does, instead of the ridiculously insensitive jerk he is in the comics lately.

This conversation was both touching and very interesting, bringing up questions about whether deadly force might be the only moral choice under some circumstances.
2tired chapter 2 . 12/8/2004
Certainly better than NW #100.
Ivy3 chapter 2 . 12/2/2004
I liked. I really loved the interaction, it felt genuine, like it could really happen. It was heart warming and touching and made me smile towards the end.
404 Error Not Found chapter 2 . 12/1/2004
Thank you.

With this chapter, you've exonerated Dick Grayson in my eyes and addressed an issue that none of the writers of "Nightwing" haven't gone into for some time, about Dick's lisence to kill as a member of the B.P.D. Keep up the great work!
giveGodtheglory chapter 2 . 12/1/2004
w00t!
Simon920 chapter 2 . 12/1/2004
This pleasantly unexpected chapter makes a nice and well done end piece to the original and it's nice to see someone who can write Bruce/Batman/Dad as a reasonably compassionate human being instead of a massively conflicted, tied in knots martinet.

Dick's guilt is obvious and a normal response to what he's been through, as is his apparent belief that this will signal the end not only of Nightwing, but of his relationship with Bruce-both wrong assumptions (as, hopefuly it will also be in canon)

Thanks, sweetie...you done good.
Knottaclue chapter 2 . 11/30/2004
Whew...! (Very heavy sigh of relief.) You handled that wonderfully. Character reactions and reasonings were plausible and written with delicacy. The flow of your writing is so smooth that reading it takes no effort at all. Thank you for sharing this:)
therocketscientist chapter 2 . 11/29/2004
Oh. My. Goodness.

What can I say? This story works so well on so many levels!

Bruce and Dick are such perfect mirrors of each other - each condemning himself for having committed unforgiveable acts, each fearing that the other will also condemn him, while at the same moment each is willing to understand and forgive similar acts committed by the other.

It's interesting to see them talk freely about committing/almost committing murder, yet almost desperately dancing around the rape. Wonder how much of it has to do with sex, versus being a victim as opposed to an aggressor?

You've done a wonderful job of showing Bruce being a father and a true mentor. Watching Dick try to keep blaming himself, and Bruce repeatedly shooting down his arguments was great! Your characterizations of both men were masterful. And what a plausible rationale for Bruce's stubborn insistence that Dick quit the pollice force! It's nice to finally have a reason that makes sense.

All in all, a truly heartwarming story, and a very sensitive take on some very sensitive subjects.