Reviews for 4am, This Letter
Willdew chapter 1 . 4/3
Found this through the TV Tropes Rec page for BTTF.

I loved reading this. It's perfectly in-character and I really empathized with poor Marty.

His dilemma - whether or not to stay with his friend to spare him a life of loneliness despite the fact that it would mess his own life up and that of his parents - the fact he'd ever consider it... It's so messy and grating when you put it that way.

The haunting stillness of wandering around at night in a house belonging to a person that you both know and don't know... That was captured so well, too.

I realize this is twelve years old but I believe in leaving a review when I enjoy something.
The QAS chapter 1 . 4/2
At long last! A Back to the Future fanfiction that I actually like.

I must say that I reply appreciate this take on Marty's character. I think you're right; Doc wouldn't befriend and trust a kid who wasn't at least somewhat brilliant. The combination of raw emotion and at times really poetic language is breathtaking and truly reminds the reader of how, even though the comedic atmosphere of the movie required it to be played lightly, Marty really was in a desperate a situation.

"Static - must be what it's like, when your life runs out of tape." That line alone is reason enough to love this story. It gave me chills.

Writing like this can be difficult to find and even though it's been over a decade since you've posted this and you probably aren't going to read my review: thank you for writing.
thegeekykitty chapter 1 . 1/6
Great one shot. It's always nice when BTTF fanfic writers acknowledge that Marty is likely traumatized by the events that happened to him over the course of the trilogy(that's actually my personal headcanon). Doc getting gunned down by the Libyan terrorists is a particular event that I believe shook Marty the most, probably on account of seeing it happen twice.
Harry Albus Potter Dumbledore chapter 1 . 5/3/2015
Awesome one-shot! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing this with us readers.
bohowriter chapter 1 . 7/5/2011
This is by far my favorite BTTF fic. That was something the movie didn't really address too deeply: how horrible it would have been to see your mentor gunned down, and then trying to deal with that knowledge along with attempting to save him (amongst everything else). I mean, I get that's pretty heavy stuff for an 80s comedy, but still...I wish the movie had had this scene in it, because you handled it amazingly. And the end of your story ties perfectly into what did happen in the movie. Awesome work.
ackeberlynn chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
One of the best BTTF fics I've read so far...love the angst. Very realistic and true to the movie, while delving into its more subtle themes. Love it.
Caped Hero chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
There are very few well written BTTF fanfiction in existence, and this is one of them. I agree with you, the friendship between the two characters of Doc and Marty is what made the movie so special and you've got that relationship down pat.

Excellent work and keep on writing!
mooze chapter 1 . 9/13/2007
i reread this every 6 months or so, every time i feel the need to see some BTTF fic. it's the most well-written piece of bttf fic out there, i think.

"Static - must be what it's like, when your life runs out of tape."

this line follows me everywhere - i haven't ever been able to get it out of my head. it just enters my brain at random times and doesn't leave. amazing.
bttf4444 chapter 1 . 8/3/2007
This is one very insightful story! I don't see Marty as being all that dumb, either. Some probably get that idea from The Animated Series, where Marty was portrayed as not being too smart.

Anyway, great writing! :)
Flaming Trails chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
I recently rediscovered this story while looking around on the net for decent BTTF fanfic. I agree, this is a great look at how Marty probably felt during that first lonely night. *adds to favorites so she won't lose it again*
Nicole Silverwolf chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
Wow. I remember watching and loving these films back when I was five as well. I never really thought about this angle back then...probably wasn't capable of it. Watching them again now, I wonder how I could have missed it. A very carefully balanced level of angst and a Marty I always thought was more intelligent than he let on. You captured him really effectively and filled an emotional pothole they didn't really have time to address in the movie. The lines about static and in particular the last line really captured that frustrated emotion he must have felt knowing what he knew and not being sure if or how he could fix it. Bravo on an excellent fic...please write more if you can...this was beyond enjoyable. Thanks again.
flux capacitor.fluxing chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
WOW!

This is an awesome story!

You get what Marty was feeling so well.

This is so good.

Please do more BTTF!

please please please please please
Ravinesque chapter 1 . 12/11/2004
you're good
Kleenexwoman chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
This is fantastic, and I mean that. I love the way you get inside Marty's head, I love the way you get him to think, I love the way you see the whole thing-it's so great to read something by an author who can see past the plot and into the characters. The section with the character study of Doc is particularly intriguing; you have actually made me want to take a much closer look at his character.

I hope you keep writing in this fandom. E-mail me, PLEASE?
Anakin McFly chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
Great fic. ;P Well written. Welcome to the BTTF section of

)I thought it was funny that you tend to write Marty as being more intelligent than in the films, because I tend to do the opposite.)