Reviews for As Phony As It Can Be
EVRyderWriter chapter 9 . 6/24/2011
Nicely done! Green Hornet writers seem to be in short supply. Luckily the ones there are, aren't too shabby!
pat weakley chapter 9 . 1/30/2011
excellent story, i enjoyed reading it.
El Gringo Loco chapter 9 . 5/27/2009
An excellent story, well paced and eminently readable that follows nicely the series I watched in first run. There were too many good parts to list them all. But I especially liked the interrogation scene sith Miss Case. And the jubilation followed by disappointment of Mike Axford. With all due respect to the leads Van Johnson and Bruce Lee. IMHO, without those two, the series would have simply faded into oblivion after it's single season run.

As for making the bad guy a lefty. The word sinister, which this guy definitely is, originally meant left handed. It's realistic in that history has it's share of bad guy lefties - John Dillinger and Fidel Castro among them.

But when you consider that on the scales opposite the bad apples are such notable lefties as; Julius Ceaser, Joan of Arc, Napoleon, DaVinci, Michelangelo, a majority of British monarchs since the American Revolution, etc etc. I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Anyway, thanks for the great read. EGL - AKA: Lefty
They call me Bruce chapter 9 . 11/6/2007
Love this one too.
CosmoTopper chapter 8 . 10/24/2006
Oops. I am so sorry! I had problems submitting a review last night. After I signed off and logged back in to the site, I accidentally left a review for 'Run Dusty Run' on this story instead. I feel so embarrassed. :0

Other than the racetrack comment, that review could easily be for this story too. 'Phony' is another fun GH adventure. The imposter Hornet concept could be a tiresome one, but you presented it with a fresh and original take. My favorite scene would probably be Mike interviewing the GH!

Any chance you will be writing more GH stories? There's not a whole lotta traffic in this category, but quality of the writers and stories is above anything else on this site!
CosmoTopper chapter 9 . 10/24/2006
Great story! This was another tightly plotted, very engaging story. I loved the racetrack atmosphere. The stuff with Mike was hilarious. I’d love to see you do a story where he discovers who the GH really is!
Foxfire832001 chapter 9 . 1/13/2006
January 13th, 2006

Very good Story & very interesting too! It just goes to show that no one can impersonate the Green Hornet & get away with it! It also shows that whatever the crooks have planned, the Green Hornet is also one step ahead of them just like Batman is!
Lightmastercheese chapter 1 . 11/13/2005
You should stop writing. Now. You keep stealing my ideas. Almost all of your fics are identical to mines and I've been making stories for the past two years.
peachkins chapter 9 . 6/11/2005
This was a really great story. I only recently began watching the Green Hornet with any regularity-I just found a cable station that carries it. I think your story captures the essence of the television show perfectly. This is the first of your stories that I've read, and I certainly plan on reading your other ones. I do hope that you'll keep writing! :-)
IcyWaters chapter 9 . 1/17/2005
I continue to be impressed with your writing skills. This is just as well constructed plot wise as “Run Dusty Run”. This story has a more serious feel to it and darker atmosphere that your previous work. I applaud your ability to change gears like that (for lack of a better description). Not many can.

You really know how to torture Mike, don’t you? :-) His interview with the GH was ingenious. Your scenes with Mike are always so delightful. I love that he was there when the GH was apprehended, his delight at the Sentinel’s headline and the anger (and embarrassment) he felt when the flowers were delivered. I love how the flowers tie in with the gentlemanly theme you had in “Dusty”.

I liked the way you began the story with the Hornet already involved in something, but some of the sentences in the first few paragraphs were to short, almost too simple. It gives off a rough feeling and disturbs the story’s flow. It does not come off as polished as the rest of the chapters are.

I do hope you have more Green Hornet fanfic in the works, as I look forward to reading more of your work!

Lisa
pat weakley chapter 1 . 11/29/2004
i'm very glad to see that you've uploaded another green hornet story. just like your previous one this one is very well written and captures the spirit of the green hornet very well. i especially liked the interaction between britt and casey, as well as that between mike and britt.

i have a few comments about how your writing might be improved.

one- you might want to use more action words- ie running, jumping, etc instead of ran, jumped and so on. this would make some of your sentences less static.

two-consider if there are places where the narrative could be converted into either action or dialogue- the paragraph about scanlon's relationship with britt seemed to be out of place and slowed down the action a bit. perhaps it would have been better in a different place or even turned into a revealing piece of dialog between britt and scanlon.

three- you might watch the meanings of some of the words you are using. in run,dusty,run, you used the word "approximated" in the scene where dusty's sister is trying to protest against the tight bonds around her feet. i think a better word could have been used here or if i was writing the scene i'd likely put it in the manner that tears of pain came into her eyes as she whimpered through (against?) the gag in her mouth. in this current story there is also another word that didn't seem to fit but i can't think of it while i'm writing this review.

four- just a few nitpicky things, not very important- i don't know about calling kato korean. he has been variously called japanese (in the 30's), philipino (40's,50's) and on the tv series he was portrayed by bruce lee who was chinese. i don't think he has ever been described as being korean, but i don't think it's terribly important what part of asia where he comes from although others might disagree with me on that. the hidden elevator- more a problem of logistics- i know that it appears to move downward on the tv series, but the question is where is it moving downward from? the study is on the ground floor with britt's quarters on the second floor of a 2 floor townhouse. i would guess that the tv people had the elevator come down because it's a lot easier to have something come down on a set than for it to come from below ground level on the set. my solution in my hornet stores is to treat the apparent downward movement as an optical illusion and that it is actually moving upwards into the study. i do definitely dispute calling the elevator "crude". clever, yes, but certainly not crude. one last nitpick would be calling the sting a sonar type weapon. sonar implies the function of sound waves being projected forward and then bounced back as a method of detection or measurement. definitely not the way the sting works. better terms would be either hypersonic or ultrasonic, implying very powerful sound waves that are above normal hearing.

i hope you don't find my comments discouraging. i am very glad to see other people writing green hornet fiction and i hope to see you write many more hornet stories. i find them very enjoyable.

pat