Reviews for Object Lessons
Rachel Indeed chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
This story is really something special - lyrical in its language, subtle in its characterizations. I love the portrait of Frodo that we see through Eowyn's eyes: wise and wounded, courtly and quietly incurable. Thank you so much for writing these two characters together - they both see much, and say little. I like to think they would have respected and understood each other, perhaps more clearly than others could.

Thanks so much for writing this!
fyre chapter 1 . 8/29/2007
This story, although short, captures the very turning of the Third Age to the Fourth Age beautifully. Once I had finished reading it, I reread the last line " . . . already receding." So poignant, so much larger. In this short story you have captured something so huge with great language and perfect characterizations. This is truly a remarkable story. I especially liked how Eowyn's view and awarness of Frodo as from a stranger seeing the Ringbearer. I especially liked the idea of two wounded warriors laying "laurels" at each others feet. This is a beuatifully vivid image. I especially liked how Eowyn realizes, for a split second, that the moment of war and blood and bravery will never be repeated, never be matched by anyone again. It made me feel so very sad to read that to realize how much was lost at the end of the Third Age. Once again, you have manage to get all of this in one short story. Amazing. Thank you for sharing.
Ana Sedai chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
I'm searching for the right word to describe this story's tone. I almost think it's "melancholy", but that's just a little too depressing a word. Maybe "wistful" would be a better term. "Regretful" too, perhaps. I'm reminded of Sam's statement in the extended edition of Fellowship, when he and Frodo were watching the elves leave the forest: "I don't know why, but it makes me sad."

I enjoyed how you put the weight of time and memory into it. In the end, no matter how special or how amazing things are, all we are left with is the memory of them. When one is innundated by grand events, it's so hard to recognize truly precious moments. It's even harder to hold onto their significance as time passes. Eowyn was insightful enough to recognize her and Frodo's conversation for what it was. That's a rare gift. You wrote this very well.
Merlynnod chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
Wow...pretty much...that's it really...my goodness...

Not only is your writing incredibly rich and almost tangible, but your grasp of the characters and the style of your writing is amazing!

And the subject matter...beautifully realized, no extraneous words or round-about paragraphs, just a framwork, followed and concluded by a blindingly accurate and thought-provoking ending.

Wow. :)
shirebound chapter 1 . 11/29/2004
This is marvelous. I love how Eowyn realizes that it's Faramir's belief in someone (she and Frodo) and not just awe or hope that guides his heart and actions. And this is absolutely wonderful:

"Look long and well, he seems to say to her, for days like these shall not come again. The blackest and most bitter of the malice has fled this place, but with it, too, will go the brightest light and fairest beauty. Never again will you lift your blade in full and desperate glory, for those against whom you ride to war will be mere Men; their flesh will be as soft as your flesh, their blood as red as your blood. And you will learn to love the warm earth and the sweet grass once more, for your wounds are of the kind that can be mended in this world. One day, you will no longer remember. And for that you should be thankful."

Thank you for sharing such a lovely, thoughtful piece.
Lackwit chapter 1 . 11/28/2004