Reviews for Out of Time
2 lazy 2 log in chapter 9 . 8/25/2012
Just so you know, the innkeeper's name was not "Okami". Okami is a title given to the lady of the Inn, and not the lady's name. Fun fact of the day!
:D
Power of Touch chapter 30 . 8/24/2012
I agree with others posted here, rarely has a fanfic made me feel such a range of emotions. From pure joy with the growth of both Kenshins, to despair at the bottom of the depths found at the last stop in their souls. I'm pleased that their interaction at the "crossroads" was minimal but life altering, I almost wish that we could follow the newly minted Kenshin through the revolution and see what would have changed. I thank you for this fanfic, I know that you've moved more to original work now, and I wish you well with it. I know personally how hard it is to create and maintain your own sandbox rather than using and abusing one created by another, so keep at it and I hope that you are one day soon a published author, who can take my hard earned buck and turn it into an epic paperback. Keep writing the good write.
Shadow-chan chapter 30 . 7/31/2012
Oh my god, that. Was. Awesome. Epic. Awesomely epic. Epicy Awesome.
I'm sorry, I'm kinda at a loss of words here, but I really can't quite describe how reading this story made me feel...

I really really hope, you're still reading this, since it's been quite a time since it was posted... :)
I laughed, I cried (and not only once) and even though I'm _seriously_ lacking sleep right now, I couldn't help myself but read it all in once... I'm even a bit sad now, that there isn't more for me to read tomorrow, but then again I always have your other works :)

And this might sound strange, but... In the last few weeks, I read all volumes of the manga, watched the whole TV show and all OVAs (well, only SKH2 not yet) - but somehow only reading your Story now made me really really realize how freaking young Kenshin was during the Bakumatsu... and what Implications that holds. Honestly, it really touched something deep inside me.

I sincerely wish this would have been the "filler" arc for the 3rd season... How awesome would have that been? No way would the anime have been cancelled then!
I guess some stuff would have necessarily beem omitted, like Kenshin meeting Tomoe, but still... Especially with the little help of listening to the OST while reading it's so easy to imagine what you've written as the anime playing in my head :)

Last Point on my List of Praise (I just got so much love for this work, so much love...!)
Though of course I always liked him, Saito was never one of my top favourite characters, but here he (more or less) easily conquered the top spot.
"For Japan. It has always been for Japan. Always." That easily might have been my favourite of all...
intoxicatedasphyxiation chapter 31 . 7/23/2012
An amazing, deeply satisfying story. Really well done. The characterizations and insight into the characters were very spot-on, as well. Excellent dialogue too. Overall, excellent job! Really, really well done.
Alpecca Ankaa Black chapter 26 . 7/21/2012
Saved by Shishio! Oh, the irony!*adds to favorites*
Phireye chapter 31 . 7/1/2012
...Even I call it crazy, but I just read all 31 chapters of this fic in one seating.

That was how good this fic was, I found it do gripping, so enthralling...I really have to say this is one of the best Kenshin fics I've ever read :))

I just kinda wished maybe more of Saitou's thoughts at the end could have been revealed, but hopefully that'll be covered in the other fics :DDDD

OKAY! OFF TROLLING THROUGH THE REST OF YOUR FICS NOW! BUT ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THIS AMAZING PEICE OF LITERATURE
thesadisttensaifuji chapter 30 . 5/20/2012
Wow. Just wow. One of the best RK AUs out there. I'm a huge fan of realist writing, but this... the switch made perfect sense. It was character introspective and the time travel helped Kenshin (of both times) see his worth as a person. I can see that the supernatural thingy of going back (or forward) in time has a function, has a goal, and it really served its purpose for this fic. I love everyone's realizations, and how they dealt with the situation. Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful masterpiece.
Unseen Watcher chapter 17 . 5/4/2012
Thank you for involving Hiko so much in this story. They don't involve him nearly as much as I wanted in the series. Hiko is one of the very few, if not only, person Kenshin will listen to at any point in his life.
Vryheid chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
Should be mandatory fanfic reading for any Kenshin fans. A relatively straightforward concept made engrossing by some excellent writing, good mix of dialog and action and fantastic characterization of all the major RK figures.
FrameofMind chapter 30 . 4/27/2012
First of all, I have to say this is an incredible story - I absolutely loved it. I haven’t read a ton of RuroKen fics (I know the series from way back, but have only recently been really hunting down fanfic for it. Read a few back in the day, but not nearly enough…), but this is definitely one of the best I have ever read - certainly the best Kenshin-centric in the canon (or mostly-canon… ;) universe. I’d put it in my top three with “Broken Pieces” by Linay and “Hajime and Tokio” by Angrybee, but neither of those is really in the same story/character area with this (as BP is an AU, and H&T barely mentions the Kenshin-gumi at all). The premise is brilliant (I love a good time-travel story, especially when it has that element of self-examination to it), and it’s so well executed, but I think my favorite thing about the story is your sense of characterization, particularly of Kenshin and Battousai. I’ve discovered in my fanfic search that I’m extremely picky about the way people write Kenshin. It’s odd, because I’m generally relatively flexible with things like that (most of the fanfics I’ve written myself have been Inuyasha AUs, so I’m definitely used to a little elasticity in character and backstory), but for some reason it really bothers me when someone has Kenshin doing/saying/thinking something that doesn’t quite jive with my understanding of him from the canon. This is especially a problem when it comes to the Battousai issue. So many people seem to think of Battousai as a completely separate person from Kenshin, or as someone who enjoys killing or is otherwise just a more carnal, less-inhibited version of him (sort of the Mr. Hyde to Kenshin’s Dr. Jekyll) - but it’s always been clear to me that both Battousai and Kenshin have the same goals and values. The difference is just that Kenshin has the luxury of living up to his own ideals, whereas Battousai lives in a hell of hypocrisy. Kenshin can hope and see the potential for happiness and a future for himself and those around him, and Battousai is trapped in one single blood-soaked moment after another, laboring only for the hope of a theoretical happiness for theoretical strangers. Battousai isn’t a cause of Kenshin’s killings - he’s a result. He’s the visible manifestation of what the necessity of killing is doing to Kenshin’s tragically young soul.

Slight tangent there. ;) But my point is that the way you’ve written the pair of them is exactly in line with how I see them, so thank you very much for that! I genuinely didn’t have a single complaint on the Kenshin/Battousai front, and that is rare.

(Well, okay, in fairness I was a little uncertain at first, because I’d assumed the story was taking place after Jinchuu, and some of Kenshin’s thoughts shortly after being sent back to the Bakumatsu didn’t seem to take into account what he’d been through in that arc - but obviously once I realized the story diverged from the manga right after Kyoto, that wasn’t an issue anymore. And in hindsight, I think it was probably a good decision not to read Jinchuu until after you’d finished this story, as I don’t think this story would have really worked as well with a post-Jinchuu Kenshin. Jinchuu led him through a lot of the same sort of struggle with his past and his remaining demons, helping him to resolve a lot of the same lingering issues, especially regarding Tomoe - by totally different means, of course. But in order for this story to happen after Jinchuu you’d have to negate a lot of what Kenshin accomplished during that arc, and I definitely wouldn’t have liked that… ;)

Aside from Kenshin and Battousai, all the other characters were really nicely drawn as well. Thought you might be jumping the shark with Saito when he attacked Battousai (because of course Saito wouldn’t be stupid enough to kill Kenshin’s younger self, leaving himself to face Shishio alone in the Kyoto arc), but nope, you were on top of things as usual. And Hiko is one of my favorite characters as well, so it was awesome to see so much of him in this story - he seems to show up so rarely elsewhere, and I loved the way you fleshed him out. His relationship with Kenshin is unique - he seems to be the only one in the world who can turn Kenshin into anything resembling a petulant brat. It’s adorable.

If I had any criticism of the story, it would only be that I wanted a little more resolution to the Kenshin/Kaoru thread at the end. Granted, I’m a huge sucker for romance (see my bio page for evidence…), and I realize that the romance itself was not the main focus of this story - but given that the carving of Kaoru’s name on the wall had been one of the things that helped him stay sane, and that Battousai left Kaoru with an extremely vague sense of who Tomoe (his *dead wife*) was and what consequence she had to the story, and that it was sort of partly thoughts of Kaoru that lined both of them up properly so that they could switch back, I guess I wanted just a tiny bit more for them than the two sentences they spoke to each other after he finally returned to her. Self-indulgent, maybe, but there it is. That said, I admired the subtlety of the romantic storyline throughout the story, and I thought it was very nicely done in general. If anything I tend to err on the side of going overboard with the romance, so I know there’s a lot I can learn from your technique.

Anyway, maybe I’ll just have to write the conversation they had after he returned myself, eh? I’ll let you know if I ever do… ;)

So, to summarize this hideously long review, thanks so much for writing this story - it was a really fantastic read, and I know it’s going to be on my mind for weeks to come. Always a good sign. Loved it!
Silverblueroses chapter 31 . 12/10/2011
I love this fanfic soooo much

It's sooo awesome!
Blue Nail Polish chapter 31 . 11/11/2011
[Hiko looked back at his first pot. "You know, that one pisses me off every time I look at it, but it's still my favorite piece."]

I laugh every time I read this - wish that you could've squeezed that into the story, forced or not. It's perfect.
anon chapter 29 . 10/5/2011
"...but still clearly the words of his rurouni took a deep breath before reading." Of his rurouni?
anon chapter 17 . 10/5/2011
definitely is a bugger of a word to spell.
krystalMage chapter 2 . 7/29/2011
Alright...my abysmally idiotic brain has finally caught on that this story is finished. No, I did not read the date on the top of the page, I was a little busy trying to read. So i will just give my thoughts on this chapter and even though you have no reason to get back to me on this please...This is awesome! I can anticipate great action in the coming chapters, I'm just worried about the Rurouni, how is he going to fare all alone in Revolutionary era Kyoto. Shivers.
1,296 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »