Reviews for Past Tense
AimeretVivre chapter 1 . 5/24
I am late to this party, but I was recently recommended this story and thought I'd give it a review.

Interesting read! One shot, so there's not a ton of development, but it's fairly well written and overall I really enjoyed it. I thought your characterisations were generally pretty well done, and I found it intriguing that Harry does not make an appearance in this fiction (that is unusual in Dramione fics... generally he either plays a role or is explicitly stated to have died). It was also different to include Pansy, and I thought that was an excellent narrative choice. I particularly liked the reflections on losing those you love. I thought it was very realistic, and added some depth to the one-shot story.

On the other hand, you have some 'Americanisms' in this story that were a little distracting... E.g., you would almost never hear the term 'kindergarten' in the UK, at least in the sense this story uses it. Our children go to nursery at three or four, if parents choose to send them, and it is called 'creche', 'nursery school', 'playgroup' or less commonly simply 'pre-school'. We do have 'forest kindergartens', which are like outdoor playgroups that are more free-spirited, but they are far less common - and definitely not something that Hermione would have attended. Compulsory education is a bit different in the different UK countries, but in England it begins at five years. Childrern usually join Reception (not compulsory) at an Infant, Primary or Pre-preparatory school when they are between four and five years old, and start Year One the September following their fifth birthday.

On the pairing... well, I am not usually a big Dramione fan, to be fair, but I thought your version was sweet overall. It did feel a bit abrupt at the end, but then it is a one-shot, so I suppose that is difficult to avoid. I did not like when he called her 'ugly'... that seems cruel and frankly too childish (Aren't they supposed to be seventeen in this? The 'act like you hate her because you love her' bit is really more of a eleven to fourteen type of antic). But I thought it was an enjoyable read all the same, and the full-circle ending was lovely. :) I am in the middle of a very long work myself, but will certainly be checking out some of your other publications soon!

Cheers
Anastasia Juliet chapter 1 . 2/6/2016
OMG this is so good. Sequel series please! :D
Anin chapter 1 . 1/22/2015
Beautiful. I loved every word.
4fanci chapter 1 . 12/5/2014
Excellent plot, dialogue, and character development. I love the raw honesty. What a sweet, hopeful story! Thank you!
DUDE OF DISASTER chapter 1 . 10/14/2014
Amazing! You're story is not like others. You are BLOODY BRILLIANT to come up with this! I wish I had your brain!
ever afters chapter 1 . 5/22/2013
Amazing!
Sugar Quill5302 chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
This was sweet. I like the fact ghat their relationships aren't jsuddenly just popping onto existence.
Sanam Malfoy chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
awww, i loved it so beutiful, and im happy to see an actual human side to pansy too, which is really nice, i loved it! keep quilling dramione!
HawaiianCaffeine chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
I don't think Malfoy would just come out and confess that, but I overall liked it :)
yay chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
gliggles. Is that a word? Because this makes me gliggle.
xBookwormGirlx chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
This one-shot was absolutely lovely! The characters were really believable and the plot was rather good. The idea of the the effects after the war with Voldemort in every single one of them was excellent and the final part was very sweet and cute! :) I think this is a very good Dramione fic. :D

~Caroline Wilde
studentofwords chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Very nice. I love how you played that all out.
stargal1705 chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
I think this is really nice ! It is quite realistic and not ooc !
roxie danielle malfoy chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
This is a very refreshing way of seeing draco reveal his feelings for hermione. And i actually like the fact that it ended not with hermione declaring her love for draco as well. Because that would be too cliche and unlikely to happen. The choice of having them become friends at the end of the story is perfect. It leaves the readers the freedom to imagine how their relationship develop from the new-found friendship.

-roxie-
TheLimeyLord chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Great story. The characters were all believable- that is to say, they didn't seem eerily unlike those in the book. The only thing I can think to suggest would be that I wish it'd been longer, but that's only because the story was so well done. :)